Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine locked up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PastorHazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine locked up
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 1:31pm
Just acquired a 1946 CJ2A and the engine is locked up. It has about 2” of oil on the dipstick and I can get it to roll in neutral. But the engine will not turn. Any advice would be helpful.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 2:33pm
Welcome to the page PastorHazz. 

To answer your question, I would drop the pan and pull the head. I’v dealt with three stuck 134’s and one I was able to free up by soaking the cylinders with PB blaster and fuel oil and waiting. 

If it’s stuck from sitting most likely the rings will be froze in the groves and will need replaced. 

With the head off check for ring grove at the top of the cylinders, if it’s excessive it will need to be cut out before you can drive the pistons out the top, that could also lead to a full rebuild but the ones i’v dealt with had very little ring grove. Inspect the bearings and crank as you go, i’v been able to keep the parts in order and reuse the bearings but it’s a guessing game until you can inspect them. 

If your lucky it will cost you the gaskets and rings and you will know a lot more about your engine when your done. It can be done with the engine in the jeep and really takes less that 8 hours not counting waiting on parts to show up. 

Again welcome to the madness and we love pictures, please let us see you new find. 

Mike
PastorHazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PastorHazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 2:37pm
mike thanks for the response. What do you mean by “drop the pan”? 

This will be the first time we have gone into an engine. We rebuilt a T90 and TC but this will be a first for an engine.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 2:55pm
Sorry for not being clear. It’s one of those things, you don’t want to write a book but need enough information to be clear. Drop the oil pan, that will give you access to the connecting rods and a way to drive the pistons out. I take the rod caps off, remove the bearings one at a time and drive the pistons out with a rubber hammer handle. Note that the rod caps need to go back the way they came off, you can get them backwards. 

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PastorHazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 2:57pm
Mike thanks so much. I wish we had willys lovers running mechanic shops everywhere it would be a much better world.
CJ2atlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 3:02pm
If you don't have a manual already I would get one and give it a good study before you do anything else.
These are pretty simple engines but it's easy to miss important details if you're unfamiliar with them.

Edited for redundant information.

Edited by CJ2atlas - 19 Oct. 2019 at 3:37pm
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 3:05pm
Glad to be of some help. It’s always a guessing game on an engine you know nothing about. If you have deep pockets and want to be sure to get it right the first time then pull the engine and have it rebuilt. 

I don’t have deep pockets and am willing take the risk of fixing what has to be fixed. It’s a hobby I enjoy and as long as it does the job I ask of it I’m happy. 

Mike
2ADave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ADave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 3:11pm
Try removing the starter. Sometimes they jam in the ring gear.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 5:14pm
If you want to try something that's initially a bit less invasive, I had success freeing up an L-134 by removing the spark plugs and feeding in some automatic transmission fluid mixed with acetone.  It's a 50-50 mix and you need to feed it through a tube of some type to reach the piston tops.

Let it soak for some time and keep adding more. Start working the front pulley nut with a wrench.  With some time and effort, the engine may start to turn.  It took mine a day of soaking and working the wrench before it started moving.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 1:53am
I've also had the starter jam and cause same symptoms of "lock-up".  I would sure try the simpler stuff first, then follow the other tips posted as they are all headed in the right direction.  Good luck.

Edited by RA472A - 20 Oct. 2019 at 1:56am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PastorHazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 2:15am
Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to post assistance. We will incorporate all the ideas over the next month and report back and document progress.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 12:30am
Welcome to the page, PastorHazz! 

I will second the possibility of the starter locking up on the flywheel.  Ol' Unreliable does that a lot, although I thought I had that fixed once...  Put a socket on the crankshaft nut with some extensions and an 18" breaker bar and try to turn the crank (clockwise from the front).  That usually makes the starter release.  Once--no, twice--I had to remove the starter to get it to let go, though. It's annoying, but not enough to make me get rid of the Jeep.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 2:37am

Here is one way to unlock your engine. Spray brake fluid (the flammable type) into the open cylinders and bake. This actually worked. I spent a couple of weeks using various fluids and still had troubles getting an L226 freed. This photo is from the recent Colorado Fall Colors Tour.
 Post Reply Post Reply