Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch alignment tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch alignment tool
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 8:54pm
After wrestling my motor and transmission for several weeks now and getting as far as through the clutch, but NOT into the pilot bushing, I am getting ready to pull it back apart and re-align the clutch.  I made one out of wood, but would prefer to borrow a used input shaft to get a better alignment.  

Is there anyone that would loan me one?  I will pay shipping.

Thanks

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 9:07pm
Did'nt a plastic one come with the clutch kit?  Your local parts shop should be able to get one.  My Carquest guy is really helpful.   
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 9:16pm
If you have a new pilot bushing. It will most likely need to be reamed to a couple thousands larger then the input shaft in order for it to fit together. I had to do mine.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 9:23pm
I didn't buy a kit and none of my local parts places had one that fit.  Going to try a machine shop on Monday

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 1:27am
Mark may be right, your bushing may need cleaned up some. If you strike out on finding a useable tool send me a PM. I have an old shaft I could loan. Would be cheaper if someone local had one. I know I have used one from a local shop. Anyone doing that type of work in your area should have what you need. 

Mike

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 4:48pm
I made an alingment tool on the lathe turning down a piece of Aluminum to the proper dimensions (it fit the clutch snug and the pilot bushing snug).
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 9:14am
I'd be happy to loan you my plastic alignment tool if you don't find one
John.
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
cptnjody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptnjody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 1:16pm
Where in Mississippi are you located? I'm just North of the Coast, South of Lucedale, North of Pascagoula. I have a couple spare plastic alignment tools that come with the kits.
you can use one of mine if you like. If your close you can pick it up, or gimme an address I'll ship it.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 3:44pm
I've always found that the plastic one's get you close, but I always end of having to just eyeball it to get it perfect. I use one eye, and move my head around to make sure it's centered perfectly. Maybe no one else has to do this, but to me, my eye is more accurate than the tool. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I've always found that the plastic one's get you close, but I always end of having to just eyeball it to get it perfect. I use one eye, and move my head around to make sure it's centered perfectly. Maybe no one else has to do this, but to me, my eye is more accurate than the tool. 

2X, I have used a rod of pilot size and centered the clutch by eye for years without any problems. Same principle as a peep sight on a rifle.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
CJ2atlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 5:08pm
I have used the eye ball method too with some success.
But the best method I've found is to tighten down the pressure plate bolts until the disc is snug but can still be moved with a little effort then slide the alignment tool out and back in, paying attention to how much drag you can feel as the nose of the tool slides in the pilot bearing.
Use the alignment tool to shove the disc back and forth until you can slide the tool in and out without any drag. Tighten the bolts down and check it again to make sure it's still perfectly aligned.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by CJ2atlas CJ2atlas wrote:

But the best method I've found is to tighten down the pressure plate bolts until the disc is snug but can still be moved with a little effort then slide the alignment tool out and back in, paying attention to how much drag you can feel as the nose of the tool slides in the pilot bearing.
Use the alignment tool to shove the disc back and forth until you can slide the tool in and out without any drag. Tighten the bolts down and check it again to make sure it's still perfectly aligned.

There's the procedure..

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 7:22pm
You can also use an input shaft from a t90 as a tool to line up the clutch and pilot bushing when tightening up the pressure plate.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 10:15pm
Steve, that's what I use also.....nobody ought to ever junk a T-90 before they remove the input shaft for their toolbox IMO.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Steve, that's what I use also.....nobody ought to ever junk a T-90 before they remove the input shaft for their toolbox IMO.

I happen to have a couple of input shafts in the scrap pile now - I don't need them, I've had one for a long time - but if anyone wants one and is willing to pay the shipping plus a six-pack, I'll send them one.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 2:42am
Agree on the input shafts, keep at least one. I also have a cut to length counter shaft for assembling those nasty little roller bearings in my T90 box. They both come in very handy at times. 

Mike 
 Post Reply Post Reply