Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toolbox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JL_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toolbox
    Posted: 29 May 2007 at 5:45am
Hello,

I will repair my CJ2A body. The toolbox is missing
This is a late 1948 CJ2A (182475) with left spare tire bracket.
I have seen some restoration products are available (part DMC-3227K).
I have a very bad CJ3A original toolbox that i will not restore. This part has two ventil holes (one near the jeep logo and one on the side).
Come original CJ2A bodies with these 2 ventil doors?? or only CJ3A / CJ3B?? because it seem repro toolbox have not.
Does somebody have experience with this repro part???
Thanks

JL
42 GPW
43 MB
48 CJ2A
53 CJ3B
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:26pm
I have had no experience with one but my 48 lefty is 183715which is 1240 vehicles away from each other.  The closest one that I have seen.
Ed
cj2a lefty
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:27pm
Original toolboxes never had "ventiliation doors". That would be a bubba mod. They did have a small cutout for a drain at the bottom flange right next to the transmission tunnel.
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
JL_CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JL_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 5:43am
Hello Ed,
Thank you for your reply and happy to find another lefty !!
I have seen in the part list for models CJ2A and CJ-3A page 108
that the spare wheel carrier bracket is not the same for a lefty :
part 668528 for left side body
part 663421 for the "normal"
Do you know where is the différence ?? perhaps do you have still the original bracket?
I will keep this speciality and mount the wheel to left.. ( mine was on the tailgate with a specific swiss-army bracket).
Do you think i have problem if a buy a "normal" bracket for the left side??
I don't think i will find this left bracket by a part supplier.
The rear bow bracket at the right side is missing, I don't think i will find this part.... I think, i must made one this the normal dimension but "mirror"

Rgds
J.-L.

JL
42 GPW
43 MB
48 CJ2A
53 CJ3B
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 8:32am
JL,
There is a guy in your neck of the woods that has made these bow brackets (at least in the past) maybe he can build a "mirror" one.

I can't see how the spare tire bracket would be any different???
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 9:19am
Gary

Many nights I've been in my shop contemplating the differences betwee Mule and Lefty. Imagine taking the bracket and turning it upside dow to be the same on the other side. Might bolt up if the munting hole were changed. Even the suppot bracket in the wheelhouse is different! And as has been mentioned the bow bockets had to be retooled also. As cheap as W/O was it amazes me they went to all that expense so late in the run.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
SteveB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 6:36pm
Call the guy at jeeppanels.  He would probably be able to do one for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply