Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your Willys' Nov. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do to your Willys' Nov. 2019
    Posted: 30 Nov. 2019 at 1:51pm
Dug into my hand brake over the last week.   Found out why it wasn't working!   Replaced the pads, but I need to replace the springs also.  

While I was under there I discovered I have a transmission / transfer case leak.   No idea where it's coming from.  Never ending project!  
1947 CJ2A #88589
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 3:31pm
I had to cut/paste to get it to work.  BTW, I've used that autopilot to get unstuck once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axgwVirdwhE
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 1:35pm
Installed auto pilot

https://youtu.be/axgwVirdwhE
1947 CJ2A #88589
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 10:50pm

Berettajeep, I made sure he had safety glasses on working under the Jeep, but I guess in the process of going back and forth underneath the Jeep they came off. Right after the pic I noticed and they were right back on. Rust in the eye is no fun at all! 

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Dennis put a plastic coffee can or something under the tarp to give it a second crown. You want some sort of air space between the tarp and the top to help reduce the chances of mildew.

Mark, I will do this when I get home though it has been growing mildew for a while now

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Hillwillys Hillwillys wrote:

After we got back I had my helper trace down and remove all the old 6v wiring harness and components.

May I recommend some eye protection for the helper because I think we all know it sucks when dirt/rust or anything get in the eyes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Thanks for sharing the pic of the soft doors, I like that idea. 
Your jeep is super awesome!

Thank you Ben!  
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 5:01pm
on the cj2a we cleaned out the rust from around the spark plugs as good as we could with a pick and magnet and soaked them in penetrating oil, been soaking them a few days now. In a couple more days I’ll try to remove them, hopefully I can get them out without breaking any and without getting rust into the cylinders. Then inspect the cylinders and go from there trying to revive it. 

On the new cj3a in the last week I’ve rewired the essentials to get it running, (12v conversion). Got it to turn over but not fire up, took the carb apart, cleaned as good as I could, adjusted the float and got it to fire up! Runs smooth, still have a small leak somewhere on the carb and the radiator cap is leaking. Other than that everything seems good! 

Took it for some test rides in the fields and it runs and shifts fairly smooth. The clutch pedal does NOT want to return tho, I think it’s something in the linkage binding. Drove it about 8 miles yesterday and did fine. No leaks other than the ones mentioned above, checked block temp with infrared thermometer, between 190 and 200. 

After we got back I had my helper trace down and remove all the old 6v wiring harness and components. 

Next on the list is rewire the 10si alternator, it’s killing batteries. I think I have that problem figured out tho. I still need to try to find out what is binding the clutch pedal keeping it from returning, not having any luck so far on that. Hopefully soon I can get the oil pressure and temp gauge hooked up. It’s not much, but it’s progress. 
 A couple pics of my helper  

Edited by Hillwillys - 25 Nov. 2019 at 5:32pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by NealzWorld NealzWorld wrote:

Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Today was a beautiful day here, so rather than work on it, I drove mine around for about an hour and a half. Then I ran out of gas. 

The next time I post here it will be "fixing my gas guage" and "mounting my jerry can".Embarrassed

Ha!   Not laughing AT you, laughing WITH you.   I did the same damn thing.   Had my full jerry can mounted, but hadn't gotten the screw in funnel for it.  

I know my gauge is good, just reads full all the time.   Something wrong with the sending unit.  I've pulled it and tinkered with it but every time I install it it just goes back to full.   Really dont wanna pull the seat out again to mess with it anymore.  

I'll just stick to the old stick method.  And get a funnel.  

Mine read full all the time after I changed to a new re-pop gauge. Turns out I had the wires on the gauge itself mixed up. I took the gauge out and looked at the wiring instructions again and got it to work right. I also adjusted the little screw on the back so that it more accurately showed the current fuel level.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by NealzWorld NealzWorld wrote:

Today was a beautiful day here, so rather than work on it, I drove mine around for about an hour and a half. Then I ran out of gas. 

The next time I post here it will be "fixing my gas guage" and "mounting my jerry can".Embarrassed

Ha!   Not laughing AT you, laughing WITH you.   I did the same damn thing.   Had my full jerry can mounted, but hadn't gotten the screw in funnel for it.  

I know my gauge is good, just reads full all the time.   Something wrong with the sending unit.  I've pulled it and tinkered with it but every time I install it it just goes back to full.   Really dont wanna pull the seat out again to mess with it anymore.  

Check the orientation of the float to be sure it isn't wedged against the baffle in the tank.
BOULDER 48 2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 2:48pm
Thanks for sharing the pic of the soft doors, I like that idea. 
Your jeep is super awesome!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 2:33pm
I finished adapting a set of soft doors of unknown origins to my Koenig half-cab.  The cab had been modified with patch panels for something else, making it a couple inches taller.  I adapted the cab to my jeep with a windshield spacer.  A friend gave me the soft doors, which were fairly easy to adapt.  They aren't perfect, but will make winter driving so much more enjoyable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 2:12pm

1947 CJ2A #88589
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 11:56pm

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 11:20am
Thanks guys. Considering how rough the old ones were, I'm pretty satisfied.
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 3:08am
Wow, look very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 1:51am
They look great. Fine job.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 12:56am
I finished rebuilding my seats tonight Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>