Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your Willys' Nov. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:37am
PO did a 12 volt conversion on my jeep and homemade his brackets. The upper is straight and contacs the alternator fan which results in a very annoying high pitch chingle (is that a good word?) noise. I'm working on fitting a better upper bracket that has some curve to the end that should clear the fan.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:51am
I also installed an windshield latch and striker to eliminate that from rattling so bad.
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 11:30pm
Got the block back from the machine shop.   Time to prime and paint before it rusts!  Had to remove the head studs for the machinist.  So I ordered new ones to replace them.  

1947 CJ2A #88589
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 2:53am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

PO did a 12 volt conversion on my jeep and homemade his brackets. The upper is straight and contacs the alternator fan which results in a very annoying high pitch chingle (is that a good word?) noise. I'm working on fitting a better upper bracket that has some curve to the end that should clear the fan.

Probably be better with the bracket on the back....that way no chance of contact.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 7:21pm
Finally got a coat of primer on the tub before the cold weather sets in.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 1:00am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Probably be better with the bracket on the back....that way no chance of contact.

Good call, that's exactly what I did although it would have cleared on the front. The only downside is the upper bolt is a bit difficult to access due to the filter being mounted too low. PO also homemade the mounting bracket for it. My spare jeep has a factory filter mount which will raise it up to where it should be. I need to bead blast it, paint it and get it on asap.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 6:38pm
Cutting up and prepping the tub for welding some new metal in.. see how it goes. luckily most of the welded spots will be hidden.  using the old tool box for some of the replacement metal in the back rear and have a floor replacement sheet that I will use for under the old tool box. 

46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 7:03pm
Such a beautiful example of a 45! I just went through your pictures, really nice restoration Thumbs Up That's why I'm surprised to see you may be filling in the mounting holes for the ignition key-coil? 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 7:12pm
Thanks.. Yah originally I thought I was going to fill those holes but now I am not.. great catch.. was my grandfathers jeep. first vehicle i ever drove.(more like idled). at 13 pulling the hay wagon in the field. 
46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Thanks.. Yah originally I thought I was going to fill those holes but now I am not.. great catch.. was my grandfathers jeep. first vehicle i ever drove.(more like idled). at 13 pulling the hay wagon in the field. 

That's really great! Hopefully it will remain in the family for generations to come Smile
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 11:06pm
Engine coming together nicely.   Stripped out one of my head stud sockets.  Thought I'd ruined the block till I found on here you can use a helicoil.   I was blown away that thing worked.   Just a flimsy little spring.  But I was able to torque to 65lbs....  Crazy  

Hope to have the engine back in it's home this weekend.   Maybe a drive on Sunday.  We will see how it goes.  

1947 CJ2A #88589
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 11:21pm
I suspect 65 ft.lbs. is no challenge; my understanding is Heli-coils are stronger than original threads. Somebody else will have to explain the exact science but I suspect it has to do with increased surface area.

In the hot rod world many racers with aluminum heads that run high valve spring pressures put Heli-coils in for every rocker arm stud to prevent them from pulling out the original aluminum threads. 
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 3:45am
Finished transmission rebuild.
Resurfaced fly wheel and replaced throw out bearing.
Installed trans/transfer case.
Laying on my back.
Next one will be a tub off install.
Feel like I got pulled thru a key hole.
DMusil
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 2:50pm
[QUOTE=NealzWorld]Engine coming together nicely.   Stripped out one of my head stud sockets.  Thought I'd ruined the block till I found on here you can use a helicoil.   I was blown away that thing worked.   Just a flimsy little spring.  But I was able to torque to 65lbs....  Crazy  

Hope to have the engine back in it's home this weekend.   Maybe a drive on Sunday.  We will see how it goes.  

The studs do not need to be torqued to 65 ft.lbs. in the head. They only need to be sealed and snugged down securely. The nuts are torqued to secure and seal the head to the block.
BOULDER 48 2A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 7:44pm
I got new seats from Weebee webbing, so I tore down my old passenger seat.  It had been redone 20+ years ago with foam and vinyl. 

Unfortunately, it trapped moisture causing the rear pan to be badly rusted.

So I removed the rusted out rear pan and ordered two new ones from QTM.  I'm sure the drivers side will be just as bad.

I started cleaning up the frame.  While pitted, its still solid.  More clean up is needed. I also need to weld up a few spare holes and weld the new pans on when they arrive.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 3:34pm

Finally got my mini starter install and rewire my jeep for a turn key start, also removed the

old style horn and when back to the smaller ones I had before. The horn was always in the
way of working on the motor. It sounded better but was a pain to work around.

Just wanted to say thanks or the input on the starter wiring.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 12:05am
One of the last nice days here in Reno for a while. I played hooky today since I had some sick leave to burn up. After doing the yardwork, it was time to tinker. I had an air cleaner splash shield in the attic. Time to install it.

NOTE: Ron says the book specs a 1/4 x 28 but installs a 1/4 x 20. He did not think the nut serts were originally threaded. It seemed to me that the book spec'ed it for a reason. I cleaned out the holes with an old bore brush before running a tap through. It was already threaded for a 1/4 x 28.

I noticed my air cleaner was weeping oil. It was overfilled. Had a few tablespoons of water in there. I have a drip rail installed. Don't know why I had water in there.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 10:54pm
Back up and running!   Newly overhauled engine.   pistons .060 over, bearings .020 over.  Took a little time to get the timing perfect, hard headedness on my part to blame for that.    Turns out the people who wrote the service manual REALLY knew what they were talking about....  Time to put some miles on it!

P.S.   -  follow the directions for timing in the service manual.   No light needed.   After two days of fiddling with it trying to get it right, a couple visits to auto parts stores to buy timing lights,  in the end I followed what the manual says.   Worked perfect the first time.  

Thanks to all of you who have helped me along the way.  Looking forward to my next CJ project! 
1947 CJ2A #88589
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>