Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"New Body Tub" Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New Body Tub" Question
    Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 1:11pm
           The '46 CJ2A I bought has a new body, from what I read, I understand they all come from the same business. Yesterday while removing the steering box for rebuild I found the numbers for the new tub stamped into a support. I also found the steering box to be shimmed away from the frame by two thick washers. The shimming was done because this same body support with numbers stamped on it touches the steering tube keeping it away from the frame.
            So, the question: is there any coding used in this found number, like date made, and any other info as to why 2A steering doesn't fit right, is it a 2A tub??~
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 2:29pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 2:41pm
          I did run the search a couple different ways, after reading for a while and not finding what I wanted and seeing so many more threads I figured I'd ask and go back to the shop to work for a while. 
           We're also, right now working with only a generator due to a big wind storm, been out 24 hrs.  I'll read this over & see what it says~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 2:59pm
            I found where Rommel explains how to read his numbers - but it's a photo bucket picture with their script over the photo which is a blur. I see this in many photo bucket pictures & have yet to figure how to fix it~

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 3:37pm
Well, I don't know.  I don't even see the blurred image anymore.

I believe someone here aptly referred to that site as "Photosuckit"

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 3:59pm
So the PO chose to shim the box. This is a common MD Juan problem especially with their older tubs. There always seemed to be some steering column/ brake/ clutch pedal hole adjustments to be made. You are either shimming parts or grinding sheet metal.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 4:44pm
The main issue with his washers for shims was inadiquet surface contact to the frame. I could see the box rock back and forth. I could mill a plate into the shape of the box mount. 
         Working on the bell-crank shaft now, got the taper pin out easy, no so with the shaft so far~
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 5:30pm

There have been shims found between the steering box and the frame on original Willys Jeeps.  It seems they are rare, but there are occasional references to them.   They are reported to be  15/32” ID x 1-1/4” OD x .0097” thick.  In some publications, you were instructed to use “as many as required”.  I found these on my ’49 CJ3A.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that they are used to ‘center’ the steering tube in the tube mounting bracket on the tub…just below the steering wheel.  

Edited by athawk11 - 04 Nov. 2019 at 5:38pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply