Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

points from NAPA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cerescofarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: points from NAPA
    Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 5:44pm
Bought a set of points and condenser from NAPA today. The points have a thin copper wire and a separate piece in the box ( NAPA # ECH CS725A) Are both of these used? the other set was just one piece that went back to the block to be tightened. Thanks for the help. 
Larry Metzgar
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 6:32pm
  Yes, you need both. The copper strap is a conductor, the other part is a spring. Both are needed, though some combine the two into one part. Just to convince yourself, install them without the spring, and see how well the engine runs. Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 4:28am
Welcome to the page, cerescofarmer!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Andy48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 1:59am
I just bought the same CS725A Echlin Points for my 48 2A & I was wondering the same thing. The points I have in my Jeep don’t have that extra spring thing. I’m going to leave it out and try it. They show the CS725A on page 794 of the Echlin online Ignition Catalog but no explanation on the extra part. (I usually try not to have extra parts laying around but I doLOL)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 2:10am
Bruce gave the explanation in his above post.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 2:14am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Bruce gave the explanation in his above post.

I couldn't have said it better myself.Confused  BW

Andy48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 3:50am
That spring can be installed 2 different ways. Buy a set and you’ll see what I mean. Then tell me what you think. One way seems like it may put too much tension on the points but it actually looks like that is how it “should” be installed. The other way doesn’t increase the spring pressure...it’s more like a backing plate for the copper coated spring. We’ll see what happens after I use my common sense
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 4:49am
Oh man I can relate to that situation. I put new points in RWILLYS and all seemed good. Took off for a nice fall run up Spearfish Canyon and my engine would not run for crap at higher rpms. Met up with Oilleaker and told him my sad story. He popped the cap, took one look at my Napa points and told me they weren’t installed correctly. Pulled them out reinstalled and problem solved. Turns out there wasn’t enough spring tension which allowed the point gap to fluctuate at higher rpms. 
RWILLYS (Space R)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

Turns out there wasn’t enough spring tension which allowed the point gap to fluctuate at higher rpms. 

Yes that's true of course but Andy's may be different.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 5:07am
  I don't have to go buy any, I've seen them before. It is a fact that the copper strip is only a conductor, the other part is a spring. If it's installed so that it doesn't work as a spring, then it's installed wrong. It only works one way, and it has to be there. If it wasn't needed, they wouldn't go to the expense of including it in the box.

Wow, Deja Vu? Seems like I've been here before..........   BW

Edited by Bruce W - 01 Feb. 2020 at 6:47am

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 5:12am

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 12:24pm
I too have had the same issue, anywhere north of idle and the points would “Float” as the old timers called it. I prefer “Standard Ignition points” Oreilys sells them.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 6:34pm
It would be pointless to delve into a Pertronix discussion at this time.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 12:35am
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

It would be pointless to delve into a Pertronix discussion at this time.

That's not the point of this discussion Mr. Johnson.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Andy48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 1:46am
I really thought I had asked a legitimate question on this so called CJ2A page but it’s more like the Chastise Page. I haven’t changed the points for years (I’m in my 70’s now and this 48 2A has been in our family since it was new!) so maybe my “Common Sense” has diminished a bit. When you get old you are more cautious, right? Anyway, the spring tension seemed excessive to me so I bought another brand from O’Reillys. I think it’s actually better than Echlin. But yeah, same tension. With my Veteran discount they were under $11.00. So BS or BW whoever can pat himself on the back. I’ll be deleting my account. I thought this website would be a good place to share what I’ve done to an original owner vehicle but I guess it’s the sign of the times.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 2:12am
Whoa there Andy48!  I sure meant no harm.  Give the board another shot.  The folks here are kind and sharing.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Andy48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 2:40am
Alan..sorry. No issue with you. I guess my PTSD is getting the better of me. I’ve rebuilt every possible thing on this old Willys. I used to drive it to High School in the 60’s & even took my drivers test to get my license. It runs & steers like brand new. It even stops! Just thought the spring tension on the new points I bought was a lot higher than the ones I have on it now. Never had an issue with the old points...just thought I’d give it a little love. (Then go beat it to death lol). Been through the Rubicon several times, Dusy Ershim, Slick Rock, Barrett Lake, Spanish/Chain Lakes(now closed) & many others. Never broke down! Rolled it & spent a month in the Hospital but I won the hill climbing challenge...just flipped it over backwards. Now it has a full roll cage! BP now back to normal. Take care
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 1:49pm
Andy48, before you leave the page, sit back and reflect on your question and responses given. Multiple individuals chimed in with like experiences of not installing them the correct way. In the post directly above hours, BW explained the design and operation of the copper strip and spring arm. He suggested to the previous poster that if he didn’t believe him, to install them the way he wanted and see how they perform. Sounds like good advice, try your way and if it doesn’t work, try it the manufacturer’s way. Nothing wasted but time. BW among many others have years of experience / knowledge gained from research and hands on been there done. You asked for advice and then stated you were going to use your “Common Sense”. My common sense and those of many others would have been to follow the manufactures installation instructions first and then ask for advice on a forum. Just my 2 cents worth
Glen
49 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>