Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 cj3a trans and transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1949 cj3a trans and transfer case
    Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 11:15pm
hello,

I’m looking to sell a transmission and transfer case from a 1949 cj3a.  I got it in a bundle deal with an motor I bought.  What would be an appropriate selling price for the combo?  What assessments should I provide to give a more informed price?

Edited by Kulpfarm - 05 Nov. 2019 at 11:40pm
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 11:40pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 11:41pm
All depends on the condition.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 11:57pm
What would I need to show you to gauge condition?
Both sticks move freely.  
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 12:05am
What condition are the gears in? Are the gears rusty? Any wear on the gears? Does the trans. pop out of second gear? Any water damage to the gears or to the inside of the cases? Do all the levers move freely? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 12:37am
FWIW - last week I paid $75 for a similar trans/TC, front and rear end from a 1961 wagon. 

Edited by ndnchf - 09 Nov. 2019 at 9:55am
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 12:52am
Hello,

I will open it up later this week and give an update. At a potential worth of $75, it might not be worth the effort to go through the hassle of selling it

Thanks for all the input!

Edited by Kulpfarm - 06 Nov. 2019 at 12:55am
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:20am
Plus shipping cost could disqualify potential buyers unless they're close enough, or can arrange to do a local pickup. Keep til you need it.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 2:58am
One way to get a very rough idea as to the condition is to drain at least one pint of the gear lube in each gear box. Pour the gear lube into glass or clear plastic containers, (jars). Let these jars sit for a few days to let the water separate out. If there is more than 1/2 cup of water, the chance that there is serious rust issues, is very large. The less water in with the gear lube the better. Again, this is a very rough way to get an idea of the interior condition of the gear cases. 
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 3:14am
Since it's already out, put it in neutral, take off those top 6 bolts on the transmission and wiggle the top cover and gear shift lever off. Take a picture and post. On the transfer case, take off the 6 bolts on that thin little plate and take a peak inside. Orange is probably bad. Replace both covers, you may have to play with the shifter a little to get the forks to slide back down over the hubs (grooves). If you are willing to clean them up, maybe separate them if a buyer desires, I think you should get $75 each, maybe a little more, but not "Antiques Road Show" kinda money
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 3:15am
Where are you in PA? I'm just south of Pittsburgh
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 12:18pm
Allentown, Pa area. North of Philadelphia

Not expecting big money, trying to fund other aspects of the project.  I have already learn a lot in a short bit of time. Might end up keeping it and using it as a learning tool for when I do get to rebuilding what I already have in the Jeep

I will do everything above and post. Thanks again!

Edited by Kulpfarm - 09 Nov. 2019 at 12:28pm
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 3:34pm
Well went to drain oil from transmission and transfer case, strike 1:
No oil.

Opened transmission and it’s dry with rust on gears

Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 3:35pm
Opened transfer case and found the following:
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 3:36pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 4:00pm
The gears, shafts, and bearings in the transmission are beyond use. The case itself is probably ok if you want to use it as the basis for a rebuild.

The transfer case pictures don't show enough of critical areas to completely assess the condition of the lower part of the assembly. The two pictures of the top part show that it is not a total loss. The input gear and idler could clean up and be just fine. Disassembly would tell more.

ALWAYS use new bearings on any rebuild you contemplate. If you do rebuild, these boxes are a good learning tool for someone who has never rebuilt transmissions. Remember that in rebuilding the transmission that the mainshaft end play is critical so that the transmission won't jump out of second gear.

There are plenty of sources of information on how to do a successful rebuild on the Forum. Good luck.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 1:14am
Sorry man, transmission is a boat anchor, transfer case would probably sell. That $75 is probably not far off.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 1:22am
Can’t go wrong with making it a learning tool.
Thank you all for the insight.
 Post Reply Post Reply