Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Crazy idea for the future - thoughts?? Electric
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy idea for the future - thoughts?? Electric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy idea for the future - thoughts?? Electric
    Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 4:53am
All,

Wondering if anyone on the forums has any experience with EV cars and/or conversions?

I started my first CJ project 2+ years ago.  Fixed up a 47 and it's been running beautifully.

Got my 2nd CJ project in April.  About halfway through the restore and having fun.

However...

In doing the 2nd project I acquired the following extra parts:

Frame, tub, transmission and transfer case.  I also have a Ford 9" rear-end laying about.

So I am thinking, since for project #3, rather than find an engine, front and rear-end and build a 3rd jeep, why not think about an EV conversion.  I'm not going to start the project for a while (probably mid-next year).

My thoughts are leverage the Ford rear-end if I can (and it makes sense).  Re-use the transmission and connect an electric motor.  Run rear-wheel drive only so I can get any compatible, easy, cheap front-end and steering.  Stuff as many LiFePo4 batteries as I can and build an CJ2EV.

Thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

As I said, not going to start this until mid-next year, but being my first EV and a radical change in tech from a typical gas car, I have plenty of research to do.  Help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Thomas

(Based in Glendale/Burbank, CA)

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 5:31am
Do a search of this forum. m38mike did it in ‘09?
Mike in AZ
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 5:31am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 7:07am
"stuff as many..." seems like the electrolyte chemistry you're thinking about is not as prone to thermal runaway, but... 
May want to research the topic before parking it in your garage overnight.  Lots of good (data based) and poor (opinion) information available.  

https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 11:19am
Thomas, 
I did an EV conversion of an M38 starting in 2008 and made continuous improvements thru 2014.  I started with lead-acid golf cart batteries (3/4 of a ton of them) and converted to LiFePo4 Lithium Ion cells.  I used it as my commuter car for about 4 years, driving 25 miles each way to and from work. I went thru lots of changes in electric components because the home-built electric car phenomenon was just coming into it's own and good equipment to handle 600 to 1000 amps at 72 to 280 volts was rare. My Jeep was built around a 600 amp, 144 volt system with a 12 volt system for switch gear, lights, and gauges, and both a 110v and a 220v system for cell pack charging.  I have an 11 inch diameter DC electric motor (way bigger than I needed) to move the Jeep.  I still have the Jeep but it has become little more than a novelty for visitors to ride around in since I'm retired.  

If you google "Electro-Willys" you will find threads on DIYelectriccar.net, EVTV.ME, G503, Youtube, CJ2Apage.com, Kaiser-Willys blog, and my own website  http://www.mpicard.net/m38mike/electrowillys.html.  I'd be happy to talk with you about the fun and frustrations, the costs and the accolades of building an electric car from an old Jeep.  

Mike
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 6:56pm
Thanks, Mike.  I'll definitely be in touch when I start the project. 
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 3:53am
I always thought was just the coolest thing. I remember dreaming of doing a Triumph Spitfire as an EV from an article in some long forgotten magazine. Then I read about Mike's EV and have dreamed, on and off, of doing a Willy's as an EV.. Too bad it doesn't get used more. It would be awesome to have a little garage or car port with PV cells on the roof and charge your car from the sun! Oh well.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I always thought was just the coolest thing. I remember dreaming of doing a Triumph Spitfire as an EV from an article in some long forgotten magazine. Then I read about Mike's EV and have dreamed, on and off, of doing a Willy's as an EV.. Too bad it doesn't get used more. It would be awesome to have a little garage or car port with PV cells on the roof and charge your car from the sun! Oh well.

Electro-Willys does get into a few car shows locally, if I'm around and not out Jeeping when the car show is on.  It's also been in the Buena Vista 4th of July Parade many times.  As far as charging it from the sun, I have 14 large solar panels on the shop roof producing up to 4Kw of electric power during the day.  I sell my surplus electricity to the power company during the day, and buy their power at night.  So the solar power isn't dedicated just to charging the Electro-Willys, my wife also uses it to fix lunch, and I use it to light up my shop.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
 Post Reply Post Reply