Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spindle bush fit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spindle bush fit
    Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 4:02pm
            Just took some measurements, is .040 too much clearance for the spindle bush to axle shaft. I guess it's main job is to support the rezeppa joint. As I write this I'm thinking it's about .039 too much, but just wondering, for something this low speed, what others have done~
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 9:25pm
                 I guess I should have offered more information here, in which case I may have gotten some feedback, but I thought I knew what I was doing. 
                  New story is, I got my new bushings and it changes almost nothing!!  The new bush measures 1.250 inch inside, the axle measures !.235 inch outside. .015" isn't any kind of a running fit standard, so what's going on here? Both axles measure the same, and they're both Gear Grind Detroit, are there other bushings that I haven't seen listed or do I make a set, I do have a supply of bushing bronze?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 9:58pm
               While waiting for answers I've been looking around the internet and found another with the rezeppa axle measuring 1.235 the same & he also bought bushings that measured 1.250. The thread ended without an answer other than someone saying he'd make a note that his 3 nos axles measure 1.235,    but where are the bushings??
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 10:19pm
I have a pair of NOS Spicer spindle bushings part number 18174. They measure 1.245" I.D.

When your bushings are pressed into the spindle they may lose a little in the I.D. but probably not more than a thousandth or so. Put a light coat of grease in the inside of the spindle when installing the bushing and make sure that it is started straight in the bore of the spindle when you are pressing the bushing in place. I don't recommend hammering the bushing in place because of the possibility that the flange of the bushing would be distorted.

The axle should not fit snug into the bushing. There will be some play. I don't believe that .015" is excessive play for that type of application.   

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 14 Nov. 2019 at 11:33pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 10:45pm
                I wrote to the guy I bought them from & he says about the same. It just seems odd to not have a normal fitting bush to support that u-joint~
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Ducati Rod Ducati Rod wrote:

I wrote to the guy I bought them from & he says about the same. It just seems odd to not have a normal fitting bush to support that u-joint~

They have been working that way ever since the Model 25 front axle was introduced in the very early 40's. Later model 44 open knuckle axles used a Torrington-type needle roller bearing and a seal in place of a bushing, but there was still some slack in the design.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 3:45am
My technique is to not measure stuff and then I run it. Doesn’t work for everyone but it does for me. 🤓

Edited by smfulle - 15 Nov. 2019 at 3:49am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 4:36am
I just went thru the same exercise on my Dana 25 when I recently rebuilt the knuckles, and wondered if my spindle bushings were "worn out".  The axles have rezeppa joints.
The input I got from some local "Jeep Experts"  was similar to this thread - loose fit!
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 6:37pm
I had the same "loose fit bushing" problem.  When I first wiggled the shaft it had more play than I expected.
I replaced the bendix style bushing (no lip)  with the Spicer/Rzeppa style bushing (with lip) and the play did not materially change.

HOWEVER, the bushing lip was too thick.  I dry assembled with the new bushing and could not install the spindle.  I had to remove about 1/16 inch or half the thickness of the lip to allow the bearing surfaces to move freely.

I posted some pictures of the joint/bushing/spindle stackup.  The bushing lip is visible as a copper reflection between the joint and the spindle.

Post Reply Post Reply