Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

transmission downshift hangups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission downshift hangups
    Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 11:50pm
hi all

im having an issue dropping my trans into 1st unless the vehicle stopped, or nearly stopped.
is this normal operating conditions, or an adjustment issue?
overall it seems great.

thoughts?

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 2:35am
This is normal for a t90. First gear isnt synchronized, so you have to be stopped to get it in gear. With practice, you can get it in gear while slowly rolling by matching engine speed to how fast the gears are turning. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 3:48am
Yup. Normal. Talk toBruce W for some throttle shifting techniques.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 3:57am
this is something truckers all know how to do but I find double clutching works great for me when shifting down into first
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
47-old-red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 4:03am
ok cool thanks
just gotta sharpen my double clutching and RPM skills lol
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 10:35pm
DOWNSHIFT??  Here's my 2 cents.  First, shift SLOWLY!  Mine takes 3 seconds to stop spinning after I come to a COMPLETE stop before I shift into first (or reverse).  Shift slowly between gears as well.

Lastly, don't downshift.  Why?  Brake pads are ALOT easier to change than transmission gears. (and I've done both several times.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 12:40am
When you come to a stop, leave the transmission in second or third gear until you come to a complete stop. Then everything in the transmission will be stopped and you can easily shift to first gear. 
  In Colorado and probably other states as well, it is illegal to coast to a stop at a stop sign or light in neutral, or to sit at a stop sign or light with the transmission in neutral. 
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 12:41am
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

DOWNSHIFT??  Here's my 2 cents.  First, shift SLOWLY!  Mine takes 3 seconds to stop spinning after I come to a COMPLETE stop before I shift into first (or reverse).  Shift slowly between gears as well.

Lastly, don't downshift.  Why?  Brake pads are ALOT easier to change than transmission gears. (and I've done both several times.

The first paragraph is right on.

The second is questionable. If done correctly, down shifting will not hurt the transmission gears at all.

If you find that you can not, for some reason, learn how to down shift correctly, then this is good advice. Just do not drive in the mountains.

I use my gears to keep the speed down on long down hill slopes. I would prefer to use the gears over the brakes, as I hate not having brakes due to overheating them on long downhill slopes. It is really dangerous. This is the reason that most long downhill slopes on the major roadways have runaway truck ramps.

I cannot imagine dropping down either Wolf Creek Pass, or The Grapevine, in high gear using just the brakes to slow me down. Hell, try I-70 down from The Eisenhower Tunnels into Denver. No thanks!
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 3:35am
Sure, in the hills etc. by all means, use your gears to slow your speed etc. But for every day stop and go on flat city streets, no need to use your gears to slow you down. I find these jeeps stop pretty darn quickly as soon as the gas is let off. (kind of like pushing a brick through the air) not much coasting done with them. I mean how far will a jeep roll out of gear from 30 mph? Even in real CA traffic, I'm able to judge my distances to not have to use my trans OR brakes and just rule up to the light that has now turned green and go right into second and keep going.

I maybe in the minority on this one, but downshifting, no matter how slowly, how carefully you do it means gear load and thus gear wear (no matter how small) A Jeep trans is by no means frictionless (right?)

Now, I'm in CA, so I've never heard of any law banning coasting to a light, but given the number of cars left on the road that are manual transmissions, I'd be stunned if ANYONE has ever heard of such a rule, much less a cop looking to give you a ticket. Any even if ALL of that were true, how could the cop know you were not in gear coming to a light.

Anyway, as well documented hereabouts, one of the most frequent MAJOR overhauls needed by these jeeps is the transmission. So, logically, the less you use the trans, the less wear it will take and the longer you will go between rebuilds.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 6:29am
  Well, I don't know how a policeman could tell you were coasting to a light in neutral either, but it definitely would be cause for failure of a driving test. It's one of those old laws, written before the days of automatic transmissions, I expect. I was only trying to help illustrate the fact that, if you leave the transmission in gear until you are stopped, everything inside is stopped then as well, and you can easily shift into first or reverse, as well as being ready to keep moving if the light turns green.

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 11:30am
I do not care much about the legality of it, but for those that do, California had that law on the books in 1974 when I got my farm permit. As has been said, Colorado has that law as does Oregon. It seems to be a mountain state thing. In that if the state has mountains, it has that law.

I agree with Bruce, leave the rig in gear & then shift after coming to a stop. It is easier & quicker.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 2:46pm
Maybe I'm not getting your point here guys. Picture driving on a flat, paved road and you are coming to a traffic light that just turned red in front of you. You'd advise to gently downshift into second until the jeep is about to stall, then hold the clutch down as you come to a stop. Then CONTINUE to hold the clutch down for minutes or more until the light turns green. All to be able to shift back into first without waiting a couple of seconds for your gears to stop spinning before going from neutral into first? I don't know about your rigs, but my clutch is new and TIGHT. Holding the clutch for a few minutes is a chore on the leg. Holding it for minutes every time you come to a stop light is just crazy. And HAS to have a ton of unnecessary wear and tear on the throw out bearing and clutch itself. Maybe I don't understand your point?

Edited by cal.bar - 16 Nov. 2019 at 2:48pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 3:16pm
I have to agree with you cal.bar.  Urban driving is a bit different than country driving.  That said, you can combine both techniques.  If you're coming to a stop light, shift into second with clutch pedal pushed in until stopped. The tranny gears will be stopped when you stop.  Now release the pedal and relax.  You should now be able to engage first gear ant time you choose with no delay.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 4:26pm
Been driving in Oregon for 47+ years I have 54 entries on my driving record (yes I was hell on wheels as a kid) I been pulled over so many times its a hobby all on its own. I now have a Class A CDL with an additional Farm and Passenger endorsements. I drive a 105,500 GVW Kenworth T800 Columbia Dump truck and pup trailer about 40,000 miles a season (typically 7 months) and I have never heard of a law in Oregon saying anything about coasting. Until now. I see that it is in fact a law on the books BUT it only applies to coasting on a downgrade.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply