Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well, not exactly back in the fold...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well, not exactly back in the fold...
    Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 3:24pm
...but definitely back in the family.

I only lasted a year before the bug bit again. :)Picked this up yesterday:

1963 CJ5
Odd-fire buick V6
3-speed (I'm assuming t90, but haven't verified)
D18
Closed knuckle D25/27
Dana 44 rear (again haven't verified, but that's what was stock)
Ross steering delete - I think its a Saginaw box, but haven't verified)
worn out 31's
M38a1 hood
Very functional tow bar
goofy but comfy forklift seats
Body is a bit rusty, but not too bad, and I love the Patina...gonna matte clear coat it to preserve it. Need some tips on that.

I'll eventually find my way over to EarlyCJ5.com, but I thought I'd introduce it over here.
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 3:36pm
Oops, mods I meant to put this in the "other vehicles" section. Please move if so inclined.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 3:48pm
Done! Good luck with your new jeep!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 4:25pm
Love the windshield Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Done! Good luck with your new jeep!

thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 5:09pm
Saginaw box, I think?

Cutlass hubs. Operation from 2 to 4 and back is butter smooth. I have read that they weren't as popular as Warn, but that they're pretty stout for normal use.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 5:32pm
Saginaw box but the mount is kind of gnarly. I'm sure you will redo the mount when you get into the project.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Saginaw box but the mount is kind of gnarly. I'm sure you will redo the mount when you get into the project.

Haha, yeah the rest of the install is pretty clean through the frame rail, but the angle iron upper mount is a bit "hodge-podge". Looks plenty strong for street and mild-wheeling, just rough, and probably not up to the task of big tires or big trails.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 10:15pm
Just wanted to post a year-to-date update since I posted this last year around this time. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 10:18pm
Wheels, tires, winch, cage, windshield, seats, seatbelts, rear tire carrier/bumper, cooling system, ignition system, welting, rust repair, sliders, etc, etc. :) SO much fun. V6 runs great. 

binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 10:49pm
Curious as to why you got rid of the venting windshield? They work wonders to stop the draft in cold weather coming around the windshield, and somehow reduce the amount of dust when following a few other vehicles. They are getting harder to find.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 11:06pm
Good question!

For one, it was a rusty beast, once I started taking a closer look at it. Would have taken quite a bit to refurbish, and I had no luck finding a new inner frame. 

Mostly, though, I actually DIDN'T like the wind flowing straight at me through the windshield. I had my new windshield at the same time as the old, venting one, and I swapped them back and forth a couple times. 

Really preferred the wind coming in from the sides of the windshield while at speed or completely out of the way with it down. Just a preference. 

I'm in Socal - zero plans to run a hard top. Probably will never run a full soft-top either. 

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 11:18pm
I love those tires!! Man, that looks mean!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

I love those tires!! Man, that looks mean!

Thanks, I agree! They’re great on the road so far, too. No flat-spotting - probably cuz they’re 10ply and this rig only weighs what? Like 2500 lbs? ...lol.  
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2020 at 10:28pm
Yeah, I never open it more than about 3 or 4"s and you don't get the wind in your face. If I want the wind in my face, the windshield goes down. I ussually only have the windshield up for hiway running.Wink
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Reply Post Reply