Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rent a Jeep in Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rent a Jeep in Colorado
    Posted: 28 Nov. 2019 at 2:12am
The plans for this summer include a trip to beautiful Colorado for the 4th of July week.  This will be the third time a group of us from Pennsylvania/Ohio and Kentucky have traveled to southern CO, but time will prevent me from trailering out this year.  I was looking at options for possibly renting a Jeep.  I see there are a couple of outfits that rent modified Jeeps near Beuna Vista/Salida area.  One is BV Jeeps and the other is Craig Anderson out of Salida.  I realize they won't have flat fenders, but beggars can't be choosers.  Anyone have any knowledge of these operations?  How restricted are we with where we can take their Jeeps?  Black Bear Pass?  Tin Cup?  Thanks in advance!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2019 at 2:53am
I can’t speak for his Jeep rentals but Anderson’s in Salida treated me really good on a trailer tire a few years ago. I had a tire get ruined on our trip out and I didn’t want to make the return trip without a spare. I stopped at multiple tire shops in Salida and it seemed most everyone wanted to take advantage of me. I saw that Anderson’s had tires sitting around so I stopped in there and he happened to have a brand new trailer tire the correct size I was needing and sold to me for less than I could have bought it for at home. I dealt with the owner and he seemed like a really good guy. He spent quite a bit of time looking at my old Jeep. When he saw it he said “I sure wouldn’t have any trouble renting that thing out every day!”
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2019 at 5:43am
I can tell you that as a summer tour guide for a tour company in Ouray who also rents Jeeps, the Jeep rental companies there will be happy to rent you a Jeep, but they prohibit their rental Jeep usage on Black Bear and Poughkeepsie. I can't speak to rental companies outside of the area. Look me up if you come to Ouray; I'll be happy to show you around...

FWIW,
Mike 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2019 at 11:28am
I'm reasonably sure that both Anderson Motors and BV Rental will let you take their Jeep pretty much anywhere in the Arkansas River Valley.  If you want to tour the state in their Jeep, you'll need to ask them specifically where they will and won't let you go.  Like Nivrat said above, there will be some places they simply don't want their Jeeps going to.  I've had friends who rented from each company and they've said that they were treated well at both outfits.  I've never rented from them so I have no first hand experience.  I used to work next door to Andersen Motors and Craig Andersen always let me plug Electro-Willys into an outlet on the outside of his shop.  He is a good guy and knows the area trails very well.  I don't know the owners of BV Rentals. 

Give me a shout or PM when you get in Colorado in the Salida/Buena Vista area.  If I'm home I'd be glad to share any local trail knowledge I have.  If I'm not too busy I might even be able to go Jeeping with you. 

BV Rental phone: 719.539.3088  Closed until May but can take calls.
Andersen Motors phone: 719.539.3088  Open year round.

Edited by m38mike - 28 Nov. 2019 at 11:33am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2019 at 6:02pm
Thank you, gentlemen, that's the kind of info I was looking for.  We have stayed in Ouray a couple of times before.  The first time, I rented a Jeep from Riverside Cabins, where we were staying.  The Jeeps they had were nice, they were Nina Barlow's Jeeps.  We were there for the Jeep Jamboree and had a blast.  The next time we trailered out and stayed at the St Elmo hotel.  I had my own Jeep, but Black Bear was still closed.

Nivrat, I certainly will look you up.  We will be there the 4th of July week, first part of the week in Ouray, then heading over to BV later in the week.

Mike, I was hoping you would chime in, I know the CO fall colors tour does some of the trails we are hoping to run.  A couple of the guys I wheel with are pretty hard core, Holy Cross and Carnage Canyon are on there wish lists.  I wouldn't mind taking my JK on those, but probably wouldn't take the 2A or a rental Jeep on those two trails.

I'll get some clarification from my buddies as to what we are hoping to run which days.

Thanks again. 

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2019 at 12:16am
Sure Bob, but be aware they try to have Imogene open by the 4th of July every year and Black Bear usually a week to 10 days later. It all depends on the snowfall. Last winters snowfall put them about 3 weeks behind this year so if you have some flexibility in your schedule later in the month or even Early August might be a better option.

Once the season opens Yankee Boy is always the first trail that opens up, usually around the 3rd or 4th week of May. You can check out www.soajeep.com for daily trail updates.

FWIW,
Mike
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2019 at 1:03am
Our plans are pretty well set.  We were there 3 years ago during the 4th and a couple folks in our group loved the 4th of July parade in Ouray and we were up on Imogene when a couple of F-16s did a fly over and barrel roll.  It was pretty awesome.  But we couldn't do Black Bear or Poughkeepsie because of the snow and they had just opened Imogene the day before.
It looks like our group is at 21 people so far,  most everyone else is trailering.  Any suggestions for lodging near Buena Vista or Salida?

Edited by bobevans - 29 Nov. 2019 at 1:08am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2019 at 3:20pm
With a large group you might want to look at VACASA and Home Away listings for rentals. Lot cheaper than motels and nice to have kitchens, living rooms, and garages. So far, I have had great experience with both firms (Moab this Spring was great!).

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2019 at 1:12am
Thanks Steve.  We also used used Home away or maybe VRBO for our group trip to Moab 2 years ago and then the Black Hills last year.  I was just wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations.
Thanks!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2019 at 1:38am
Have tried the Super 8 in Buena Vista (OK but not great) and the Comfort Inn in Salida (better). Salida had more "ambiance" (bigger downtown, good Mexican restaurant, Walmart, bigger grocery... and lots of deer everywhere throughout the town). Found a lot of cabins for rent near both and would have gone with one of them this September if my wife had come with me to the CFCT (she did come this Spring to Moab and the VACASA home was great).

I think you might want to try Mt. Princeton Inn for a cabin (or several). Have wanted to stay there but they are always sold out way before the CFCT.

Good luck,

Steve
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2019 at 12:05pm
bobevans, Here are links to both the BV and Salida chambers of commerce.  They list events and businesses for you.  This would be a good place to do some looking for hotel/motel/B&B places.  As we get closer to next July, they will both be listing events taking place then.  Mt. Princeton Resort or Cottonwood Hot Springs might be worth checking out if you want to stay at a hot springs so you can soak each evening.  Is anyone camping?  The Forest Service campgrounds are all on the national reservation service and usually fill up in January or February for July.  You can reserve your spot 6 months in advance. 

Don't wait too long to make your reservations.  This valley is one of Colorado's major playgrounds and places to stay fill up their reservations during the winter months for the following summer.  

If you need a shop to do some repairs while you're here, give me a text.  I've got a lift and lots of tools for doing minor and major repairs.  We usually spend the 4th at home or in BV.  Or just stop by to say hi. I might just have some cold beer in the shop fridge.  Seven 19 - Two 39 - one 8 nine 7.  Texting me is the best way to reach me.  I get too many sales calls so I don't answer calls for numbers that are not in my address book. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2019 at 6:11pm
  You might want to watch the beer in Mike's shop fridge - he doesn't drink enough beer in the shop when nobody else is there, and there is some beer in there that's been there since FCT 18!  Dead  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 11:13am
BW, I think that's been in there since FCT '15!!  I'm trying to get rid of it so I can put the '18 stuff in there.  C'mon back up here and drink some more of it!  Beer  Wink  LOL
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2019 at 1:38am
We made reservations at the Ridgeway Lodge for the first few days, mostly because of the size of their parking lot!  The second half of the trip we are looking to rent a big house or two.  I also rented a modified Jeep from Craig Anderson of Rocky Mountain Jeeps.  Seems like a great guy, and man he can talk!  He said no Holy Cross and no Carnage Canyon in his Jeeps, but he softened his stance on Chinaman's Gulch after we talked a bit.  He did pretty much insist that we do a loop from St Elmo to TinCup (and get barbecue there) then up Cumberland Pass, Alpine Tunnel Rd via Hancock Pass and east to Mt Antero.  He had me convinced and I have no idea where any of that is!!.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2019 at 3:38am
I can see his nix on Carnage Canyon!  It looks hard to just walk up that trail.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2019 at 1:09pm
That Elmo to Tincup to Cumberland to Hancock and back to St. Elmo is quite a loop and will challenge your driving skills.  It'll also get you into some beautiful country on both sides of the continental divide. The views from up so high are spectacular!  The drive up Mt. Antero is worth a day by itself.  The bar-b-que place was not open the last couple times I was in Tincup.  But Frenchie's restaurant was and they make great fruit pies.  The general store is also worth some time to wander in.  If you've never fed the chipmunks in St. Elmo, then plan to do that.  The General Store has seeds for the chipmunks.  They also have souvenirs, t shirts, and ice cream bars.  And out back they have lots of old iron implements for sale.

BTW, the Thirsty Dirt Ranch, our home, is only a couple miles from the road up to St. Elmo and Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort.  We hope you'll stop by.

Edited by m38mike - 05 Dec. 2019 at 1:19pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 3:02am
Thanks Mike, that's the kind of info I love to get. We did a couple of loops when we were in Ouray that were just too long - we ended up getting back to town after 10, tired, hungry and running on fumes. We'll have to break that into a couple of days. And I'd love to see the famous TDR.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply