Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snow wheeling in Grampa's Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow wheeling in Grampa's Jeep
    Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 3:08pm
Ok, so this is lame that I am not loading these photos onto the site, but my server space is getting slim.
So here's a link to some photos on Instagram of my snow wheeling on Saturday. There are multiple pics so find the little arrow to click through them.

Here's a link to a short video of our grinding up through some snow that is over the bumper in height. 
The grade is pretty steep and you can't see it, but the slope to the left is a huge drop off. There are trees there that might catch one, but there is also a 50 something Chevy pickup balled up at the bottom of this hill that someone died in when they didn't keep it on the road.

Edited by smfulle - 02 Dec. 2019 at 4:25pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 4:16pm
Sweet!!!!
NDT and chains rule!!
Much better than clown shoesLOL
Thanks for the awesome pictures and video.
That’s my kind of flatfendering!
As always Grandpa’s jeep shows, v8s and 44” tires aren’t required to conquer a mountain. 
Hope to one day follow you on a trail!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 4:32pm
Stan, my friend, 3 words....

Don't Hold Back!Smile

Epic...... simply epic!

Mike
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 5:32pm
Stan we build and maintain roads just like that. You should try running them in a 56000gvw Dump truck sometimes with a 50000 GVW trailer behind. This summer one of our older drivers missed a call out as he was coming up a single lane road with a few places to pass. As I came down a steep section around a very tight right handle corner there he was. This was not a place with a turn out. My dump truck tires are within about 6" of the edge of a very steep very high slope with trees that would have had no hope of slowing the 26000lb empty dump truck. I said some words on the CB and he went back to paying attention LOL.

Great Video I love snow.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 1:55am
Beautiful country, thanks for sharing the pics.

My late brother-in-law grew up in Utah, Trenton I believe. He told me stories about hunting and camping there. I always wanted to go see those parts of Utah. A little over two years ago I helped my son move back to Texas from Oregon, I don't remember now the exact route we took through Utah but I wish I would have had time to kick around those parts instead of just passing through. 
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Squishymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:13am
You know, that's kind of inspiring. I sort of forgot that when people go snowmobiling they are exposed to the elements :)  guess I have no excuse and need to trailer up north for some 2 track action this winter!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:27am
I bought some "cable" tire chains a while back for another vehicle.   I put them on Wilson one time for some deep-snow fun-wheeling.  I was not super impressed.   The cable ones might work good on icy, packed-down roads,  but did not seem to help all that much in fresh, deep, woods-trail snow.

Those "real" chains seemed to claw much better, and sounded almost like "jingle bells"  Smile
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 12:55pm
gr8 video.

Were you able to go everywhere uninhibited, or did you eventually hit an impasse?

How did the YJ do, and what was the difference?

I assume the ATVs didn't get far.

Thx 4 sharing
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 2:27pm
Great video Stan! This is always something I've wanted to do. I keep watching it.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

gr8 video.

Were you able to go everywhere uninhibited, or did you eventually hit an impasse?

How did the YJ do, and what was the difference?

I assume the ATVs didn't get far.

Thx 4 sharing

I had the high mark for sure. The YJ is SBC powered with Chevy truck axles. Tires this outing were wide with deep cleats (not sure of brand). He could blast through big stuff better than me, but general grinding through the virgin snow up the road, I did better. At one time he asked me to come back and put a strap on him for safety next to the big drop off. I emphasized the photo opportunity and he decided to chance it. Evil Smile  When he got ahead of me, he would eventually bog down and spin out. When he was behind me, he kept running up the back of me, needing to go faster to keep going. I just kept the chained up NDTs grinding and kept going. I could have gone farther when we stopped, but the other rigs were stopped and the kids on the ATVs were frozen. The ATV's couldn't do much in the deep virgin snow and  had to follow in my wake where I have knocked down the snow.

The condition of the snow makes a big difference on what equipment is successful. In this fresh, loose snow the chains were great. They grind down through the snow to the frozen ground and pull like crazy.

In the spring when the snow is deeper and hard and crusted from the thaw and freeze cycle, chains are not as effective. They grind down through the top crust and don't reach the hard ground leaving you sitting with your frame on top of the crust and all four wheels spinning.  

So in the spring when the snow is deeper but crusted a big wide tire that will keep you on top if the crust is much more effective. Go really slow and watch your tires. When on starts to break free and spin, even a little, stop, back up a few inches and creep forward again. We have driven for miles this way on top of several feet of crusted spring snow.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 12:56am
Stan,
  Great photos and video.  Looks like a lot of fun!
Dave
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 4:15am
man, what a blast, Stan!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2019 at 10:47pm
Stan,
Where were you at? Looks fun. 

Edited by GrandpasOld50 - 05 Dec. 2019 at 10:57pm
'50 3a with f-head motor
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 1:16am
Stan,
You reminded me that buying a set of chains was on my list. I just found a cheap NOS set on eBay that fit my 6.00 16's. I will keep my eyes open for another set for the front.

It sure looks like fun. Now, maybe we will get a storm to blow through Reno and drop some snow.

Its amazing how often you get Grampa's out.

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 3:00am
Originally posted by GrandpasOld50 GrandpasOld50 wrote:

Stan,
Where were you at? Looks fun. 

I live in Plain City near Ogden. This snow bashing activity took place in Cache Valley on the Idaho side west of the little town of Clifton. Clifton is the town where my Grandmother was born and raised. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 5:42am
I love cache valley. I actually lived there for 11 years. I was wondering if you were up somewhere near Monte Cristo slash or up Logan canyon. Makes more sense you are on the west side of the valley this time of year.
'50 3a with f-head motor
 Post Reply Post Reply