Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do to your Willys - December. 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your Willys - December. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do to your Willys - December. 2019
    Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 4:13pm
Hard to believe its December, but it is! So time for a new thread.

Our local flat fender club will be participating in a Christmas parade this Saturday.  So I'm getting the Air Raid Warden jeep ready.  I'll be pulling a trailer with a decorated Christmas tree in it and some presents.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 7:02pm
Some of this was November 29th and 30th, and yesterday so not technically all done in December but this past weekend on the ‘47 I finally cut out the terrible homemade seat frames, removed the old original door panels and lubed the window cranks, removed the gas tank, removed the transmission access plate and cleaned and degreased underneath, removed the radiator, and removed the fenders, removed and cleaned the carb, it looks good, and removed the mechanical fuel pump, going to see if I can clean it tonight  Planning to clean out fuel lines also.  I have the cylinders soaking in MMO. I’m planning on flushing the radiator and coolant passages in the block soon. I’m also planning to drain and replace the gl1 in the transmission and transfer case, but I’m having a hard time with the skid plate bolts. I think my skid plate is bent and I can’t access one bolt enough to turn the wrench. The others are rusted. If penetrating oil and heat doesn’t loosen them I  may have to cut the heads, but being carriage bolts, I’m not sure how well that will work. Other than that I’ve just been scraping old grease and oil off of everything I can reach while I save up for parts. Any tips or other things I should be looking at right now while I’ve got all this apart? 

On the ‘52 I haven’t done much. Hopefully I’ll have a new cheapo universal electric fuel pump in another week or two and I can drive it some more. I still need to figure out the clutch pedal not returning. Other than some horrible welds, everything in the linkage looks ok  I’m planning on cleaning out the gas tank from the ‘47 and putting it in the ‘52 temporarily because it will be a little while before the ‘47 is running. I need to make a couple brackets for the rear of the driver seat on it also. 

Edited by Hillwillys - 02 Dec. 2019 at 7:04pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

...Our local flat fender club will be participating in a Christmas parade this Saturday.  So I'm getting the Air Raid Warden jeep ready. 

Ours is tomorrow night (Tues) so have been doing the same thing....first time for the lefty.

(should have a pic or two tomorrow)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:45am
On the skidplate bolt you can't reach-are they bolts of rivets? I haven't looked in a while and can't remember. I'd they're bolts, maybe cut a groove and use a screwdriver, or a screwdriver tip in a ratchet. Or a dremel with a cutoff wheel, could cut away at the skidplate a little to get it out of the way, remove the bolt and weld the skidplate back together. Otherwise PB Blaster, heat, and patience.

I actually did some Jeep work on Sunday-some cutting, welding and rearranging to the tire rack, plug welds to reinforce the frame patches (my welds are still boogery, but getting better), then 3 hours in a deer stand and one less deer in the woods. Haven't worked much on the Jeep in a while, feels good to make a little progress here and there.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 6:28am
I finished mounting my custom Fuse Box to be under the dash rather then on the engine side of the firewall. Also working on the rest of the electrical system.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
sconsalv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sconsalv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:27pm
I just finished my 44 floater build so I'm starting to work on building the dana 25 for the next build but in the meantime I've got the Christmas wreath on the grill ready to cruise around and spread the cheer
...lol

1948 CJ2A , Picket Gray
1946 Cj2a , Project Granny LoW
L134, NP435, TerraLow Gears, Floater 44 , Saginaw Steering Conversion, 113:1 Crawl
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:41pm
I've been cleaning and getting ready to rebuild the t90 and put new gaskets and seals in the t-case. I noticed wear on the end of the main shaft where it was rubbing inside the input shaft. I filed the burrs off and my guess is I can reuse it, but please respond if you know better. I'm no trans expert. 

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
sconsalv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sconsalv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 3:45pm
That shaft doesn’t look bad but if you don’t feel confident I do have spare mainshafts and a Nos cluster gear. 
1948 CJ2A , Picket Gray
1946 Cj2a , Project Granny LoW
L134, NP435, TerraLow Gears, Floater 44 , Saginaw Steering Conversion, 113:1 Crawl
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 9:14pm

Winter 'down South'...LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 9:19pm
Thanks, sconsalv!
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 11:35pm
Started cutting spot welds on floor hat channels.
DMusil
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 4:22am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Winter 'down South'...

Cotton balls to the side of your face . .  are nothing like the real thing LOL

Here in VA we are tweeners,    If lucky,  we might get a couple good snows each year.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 4:33am
Christmas parades . .  where are your photos?  LOL    

I have signed up parade on the 8th, and looking for ideas.  Smile     Actually,  I have an idea of what I might do.   Plan A failed,  so trying to make Plan B as good as possible.

My 4-year old granddaughter has mentioned that she wants to participate,  hoping I can get ex-breakfast-buddy involved also.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 5:03am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Christmas parades . .  where are your photos?  LOL    

Patience Ron....haven't been home long.

Actually the parades (Christmas ones anyway) themselves don't photograph that well. Here's an action shot, will get a static shot tomorrow.  (as it looks like it may end up being a yard ornament for the next few weeks) Wink ...and oddly enough it was her suggestion!

And yes, I know what a real snowball feels like, especially the packed, half frozen kind. Ouch

Believe it or not, the fake snowballs were a big hit....(for the big 'kids' in the crowd) we had plenty of candy to throw to the younger ones.  (they were a little more 'throwable' than cottonballs, they have more of a beanbag quality to them)

Anyway, THANKS to my friend Mark for the photos.

Edited by rocnroll - 04 Dec. 2019 at 5:15am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 5:15am
Very creative!!

I bet that really looked cool in real life.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 5:28am
I attended a parade last year with local Jeep group.  Approx a dozen Jeeps with over-the-top lights attended.  Wilson was only flatfender, and had very lame decorations.   

Just now I went to 2019 parade website,  to get some details about where and when etc,  . . while on the site, I looked thru some photos from last year . . they had a few photos from our Jeep group,  and Wilson made the cut!!  haha  

Flatfenders rule! LOL

Note: photo was taken a very beginning of route . .  there were actually some spectators later.  LOL
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 5:37am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Believe it or not, the fake snowballs were a big hit....(for the big 'kids' in the crowd) (they were a little more 'throwable' than cottonballs, they have more of a beanbag quality to them)

You threw them out at the parade?   That sounds like a cool idea!  Did you start a snowball fight in the crowd?  I need to find some of those.  haha
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 2:02pm
Well considering they averaged out to be a dollar apiece I saved them for special friends and family......actually a couple people after laughing about them gave them back so others could be surprised as well.

We got Mr & Mrs Mayor and they seemed to get a kick out of it as did our Police chief....it was the surprise factor, nobody was counting on snowballs only candy.

I don't know what's inside them but have just enough weight to throw....weird thing about them is whatever is inside them makes that 'scrunch' feel....you know how when you walk on snow it's got that scrunchey sound when your feet packs it.

Box of 20, I came home with 10.

Highlight for me was grandson's comment (11 this year and first time to throw candy). ..... Halfway through the route he said " this is sooooooo much fun, making all these little kids happy!"......now isn't that what it was all about I thought to myself.

I definately get the feeling he is an old soul sometimes.....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>