Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do to your Willys - December. 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your Willys - December. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 2:02am
Every now and again Chad! Not very often though. Will is here tonight and wanted me to tell y’all Merry Christmas! He and his buddy rode with Uncle Steve in the parade. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 2:03am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I think the idea Ol'Unreliable was trying to convey was the look of an old Willys 'factory type' photo.

The smiling driver, the plaid jacket, the hat---all he needs is a pipe to look like he's straight out of the late '40s / early '50s.

Wait a minute----I didn't see the high-back seats before.  Okay, Photoshop out the roll bar and high-back seat and then it's a period pic...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 3:28am
Based on Ol'Unreliable's comments,  I decided to wear the exact same outfit. LOL   I don't have any photos yet of the "rig" and me,  but below is one I took while staging.

The 7 yr old boy in photo was a previous "breakfast buddy" of mine.   A couple months ago, he moved away with his mother to a town about 25 miles away.  (sad story)  I thought it would be cool to attend their local Christmas parade with him.

This night could almost be a novel LOL,   I might start another thread.

Bottom line though,  we created some wonderful memories for each other,  he is a great kid!!  

This photo was taken while still a little daylight.  The nativity scene looks better when darker out.   The "rebar" supports disappear when darker,  and the star appears to hover overhead.  

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 3:58am
Wow Ron, that's really cool and it certainly captures the spirit if the season.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 2:03pm
Our Fredericksburg Flat Fender club participated in a local area Christmas parade on Saturday.  The parade theme was "Twas the night before Christmas". My jeep lead our group with a fireplace in the back of my jeep complete with stockings, cookies and milk.  A decorated tree was in my little trailer.  The other jeeps followed loaded with gifts for the tree.  We had a great time and got a lot of compliments.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 2:05pm
One of the memorable moments occurred while we were inching along on the side road that led to main street.   This memory started out horrible then turned cool.     To my horror Wilson stumbled a bit and stopped running. Reminded me of the scare it gave us on Rubicon. LOL.   It was dark and made it hard to troubleshoot.  Turns out it ran out of gas, even though the gauge showed 1/4 tank.   My buddy looked so panicked,   and I was too.

The good news, one of the floats had extra gas (I think brought for the generator powering their lights). The fellow who offered it said, "We can't have a nativity scene miss the parade" haha

Lesson learned,   if you replace a tank and sender, make sure to check the full range of travel on the needle.  Ouch   (I replaced the tank a couple months ago,  and I guess never realized how close I was to empty when letting it get down to 1/4 tank.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 2:36pm
Looks great Steve!!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 4:30pm
Awesome fireplace!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 7:09pm
Thanks Guys.  My wife gets credit for painting it. She also painted the milk glass and made the cookies. But I attached it all, and it made a 20 miles round trip with no problem (but the chimney was removed). So it was a success.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 11:58pm
Put up the christmas decorations!

1947 CJ2A #88589
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 12:18am
Just watched the video scoutpilot made of testing my carb. I'm very eager to get it back now, it was going to be a spare but it's so nice I think I'll put it on and run it and make my current carb the spare!
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 1:47am

Its been a while since someone posted. I’ll throw out my project for today.

A few weeks ago, I found a Jerry Can on eBay that appears to be fairly rare. It is a Vietnam vintage Conco can made completely out of aluminum and designed for water. I didn't know they made them in aluminum. It does not have a date code on the bottom but is stamped USMC on the sides. https://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_metal_water.php

I was looking for a WWII vintage water can just to bring along on the trail in case of an emergency. I stumbled across this aluminum one and liked the idea that I would not have to worry about rust. Most of the WWII ones are pretty bad inside as the protective coating has deteriorated.

It was delivered Friday. The aluminum construction is amazingly light. When it was delivered, I thought the box was empty.

Today, I spent the day filing out the scrapes and sanding it down with 120 grit. It cleaned up pretty well, not perfect. A few dents and dings from nearly 50 years of use. I used a good caustic soap to clean the inside and it looks like new. I wouldn’t hesitate to drink out of it.

I’m going to send it off to the powder coater to have it done in the same shade as the Jeep wheels, Universal Beige. I already have a Korean War fuel can to match.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 22 Dec. 2019 at 2:30am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 2:41am
Yesterday, I drove 25 miles to Lew Ladwig's shop. I needed door rods to complete my enclosure. JPet completed my top in September but without door rods, the job wasn't finished.  Lew had his door rods to use for a pattern for bending. I bought 3/8" rod stock that came in 4' lengths at the local hardware store along with 1/4" x 1" flat stock. Lew heated and bent and I helped when needed. We bent the flat quarter inch stock to make the pieces that attach to the windshield and serve as the top door pivot point.  Lew is a great teacher.  I should have taken photos of the rods before installing, they are perfect reproductions. 

Today, I installed the lower pockets on the tub where the door hinges are inserted.  I needed a way to keep the vehicle rods in place. Since I don't have welding equipment, I decided to cut threads into the top of the vertical rod and put a nut on the end of the rod to keep it in place.  The bottom end goes into the tub so nothing is needed there.  

The last pieces to go on were the door handles. Everything looks and work great.  Thanks Lew and Jeff!

Edited by calndrman - 22 Dec. 2019 at 2:43am
Bruce
1949 2A
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 4:41pm
NICE. That looks great, Love the 1/2 cab look in canvas
Phil

Edited by a4cj2a77 - 23 Dec. 2019 at 4:45pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 5:19pm
That looks so good!!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123