Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two jeeps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 2:00am
Well I got the crankshaft nut off with the impact from work after a little heat followed by penetrating oil, but I forgot the gear puller at work, so the timing cover will come off tomorrow. Tried heat and penetrating oil on the rounded off manifold nut, no luck yet. 
Degreased the engine a couple times. May have went over board the second time. I think I took some of what was left of the paint off. Oh well. 
My helper wanted to do something so I put him to work with some mild degreaser degreasing the firewall after I gave the engine a quick diesel bath. Also did the first run of diesel flush on the differentials, and valves and put the drain plugs back in the transmission and transfer case and filled with diesel fuel to soak some of the sludge. This engine is FULL of sludge and the transmission input and output shafts are leaking like a sieve. I have new seals. Hopefully I can get this thing flushed enough to run fairly smooth and hopefully the rusted transmission gears will last a while until I can pull it and rebuild. 
Pics to follow. 
First round degreasing the engine, first diesel bath for the valves and my helper degreasing the firewall. No after pics of it because it got dark on us but, He did a good job! 
Edit: pics are so hard to upload from a phone, and it’s really slow right now so I’ll try tomorrow. It’s nothing spectacular anyway, but it is progress...

Edited by Hillwillys - 08 Apr. 2021 at 2:13am
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 11:27am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 11:44am
One thing i noticed, if you look at where the valve cover gasket goes, on the top section the sealing surface, it’s pitted some and one spot looks like it’s completely rusted away. I just noticed in the pic. I’ll check it out better this evening, but has anyone else ran across this? If so, did you have any issues with the valve cover sealing? I think it will be ok, since it’s on the top part of the sealing surface. Maybe a little permatex in that spot?
This jeep ran a couple years ago, but was pretty rough. Hopefully once everything gets cleaned out good it will smooth out some and be a decent runner. But it’s going to take some serious flushing. I’m a little concerned what the oil passages and smaller orifices look like, hopefully after all this flushing and with a couple oil changes with a little kerosene or ATF it will clean them out. 
One thing I noticed on the CJ3A, the PTO shifter wouldn’t move. I’m afraid the gears are rusted in there..... going to pull it this weekend and check the internals. This may be a dumb question, but when I pull the PTO from the 3a, I can just put the cover plate from the spare transfer case housing on correct? 

Edited by Hillwillys - 08 Apr. 2021 at 11:49am
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 1:51pm
Hello Hillwillys, I like your pics... Especially the one with your little guy helping out! That is great.

It looks like this has not been an easy road, I commend you for getting back at it..You are moving along nicely now.

In regards to your last post, Is that just a piece of valve cover gasket which looks rotted? To me if you look far left you can almost see where the gasket begins?
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 1:33am
ggordon49,
 you were right. In feel dumb now. LOL
I was just lookin at the pics after I posted them and didn’t realize it was gasket material. It had me worried. 

Well I still can’t get the manifold nut to break loose, I think I’ll either try heat, penetrating oil and a small pipe wrench tomorrow or stop by harbor freight and buy the “rounded nut socket set” kit they have and give that a shot. 

Making progress still, still a long way to go with this sludge issue though. 

Edited by Hillwillys - 09 Apr. 2021 at 1:34am
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 1:56am
  Could you split that nut to get it off?  I have had luck of drilling a small hole being careful not to touch the threads then using a chisel to slit it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 2:31am
WeeWilly, 

I did think about splitting it, but I didn’t think about drilling it to split. I thought about trying to get a small die grinder back there. My only concern was cold chiseling it because of the cast manifold. I THINK it would be ok as long as I made a couple good relief cuts and didn’t hammer smash it, but I wasn’t sure. 
I may end up drilling it though, thanks for the idea! 
It would be easier to drill the reliefs instead of trying to cut them “parallel” with the nut face. (Can’t get the die grinder close enough to cut perpendicular) 
I’m not concerned about the stud, I just didn’t want to snap it off in the head. I’m ordering a replacement set anyway, these are pretty rough. 

Thanks again for the idea!

Edited by Hillwillys - 09 Apr. 2021 at 2:32am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:32am
A few minor updates

‘47: The “nut” on the manifold is a bolt... so I can’t drill reliefs and split it...didn’t accomplish much on the 2a today. 

‘52: after disassembling and cleaning the carb, replacing some old wires to the electric fuel pump, the battery cable terminals, fuel hose, and filing the points, she fired right up. Sounds very good too. Idles great. I’m very happy with how well this engine runs and how healthy it sounds. The rest of the 3a is in pretty rough shape tho! LOL Took the kids for several laps around the field and they loved it. 

A few issues with the 3a

1: the cheapo electric fuel pump is flooding the carb.  Instead of buying a cheapo regulator, I think I’ll just go ahead and get a replacement mechanical fuel pump. 

2: the alternator is not charging. An issue I never resolved from the last time I had it running. It’s a delco remy one wire setup, and I’m fairly certain I have it wired up right. I’m going to remove it tomorrow and have it checked. If it checks good, it’s back to the drawing board with the wiring I reckon.  

3:  I finally found a single matching original 16” wheel with an old ndt to complete the set of original wheels and when I put it on, the rear driver side axle nut was loose and the cotter pin was gone. I tightened it down as good as I could get it with a big adjustable wrench so I could take a lap or two around the field. I’ll get the socket tomorrow and tighten it to spec. Hopefully nothing is damaged. 

4: the clutch is not fully disengaging. There is a bubba repair to the rear shaft, and I think it’s in a bind preventing it from operating smooth, and also there is baling twine wrapped around some exhaust brackets as the return spring anchor point and attached to some very worn out looking return springs. I’m going to see what I can come up with tomorrow about making sure the return spring setup is good, and go from there. Still the bubba repair on the shaft has me worried. You can’t tell from the pics, but it’s not perpendicular to the transmission, looks like his measurements were off and it’s putting the shaft in a bind. Or maybe a combination of that and the weak return spring and shoddy anchor point can’t overcome the binding “pivot rod” I have to reach down and pull the clutch back by hand. 

5: this one is weird, I’m pretty certain it’s related to the clutch issue. a couple times when I would stop, I would “get stuck” on flat ground. The passenger rear wheel would spin enough to throw grass and a little dirt but wouldn’t go anywhere, even when I would reach down and pull the clutch pedal out by hand it would still spin. I would have to do this a couple times before it would catch and get enough traction to move the jeep. I think it’s just the clutch not disengaging all the way and not getting enough power to the ground. 

Here is a pic of bubbas repair on the clutch pivot rod (I don’t know the correct term) it’s hard to tell from the pic, but the rod is not in a straight line, and my 2a doesn’t have the carriage bolt and nut  booger welded to the frame like this or the grease fitting so I’m certain bubba was here. LOL

And here are a couple pics of the joy ride in the field. 

Edited by Hillwillys - 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:49am
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 3:24am
At least you got out for some  fun. On my  old MB the clutch cross tube would pop off of the  pivots. New pivots and shim one out was the repair.
john
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 5:19am
Short people look like they’re having fun.  Very cool
Mike in AZ
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 6:05am
  I know it sounds backwards, but what you're saying is backwards, and makes it difficult for us to understand your problem.
  When you push the clutch pedal down and the engine stops driving the jeep forward, you are releasing, or disengaging the clutch. When you let the pedal up and the jeep moves, you are engaging the clutch. We're talking about the clutch itself here, not the pedal. If you have to pull the pedal up, it is not returning by itself. And if it doesn't return, the clutch can't engage.
  If one wheel is spinning on flat level ground, the problem is probably in the rear axle or differential. The clutch has nothing to do with it. Is it the wheel that was not loose that is spinning? The one that was loose is doing nothing? I'll bet the key is gone or sheared, and the axle shaft is not driving that hub.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 7:37am
Well,not enough info here.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 4:32pm
Bruce W 

Sorry about the confusion, but yes that is exactly what is going on, and yes the wheel that the axle nut was loose on is not spinning. I reckon I’m about to find out what the inside of the rear axle hub, and key look like LOL. Hopefully nothing is damaged too bad when I pull it apart. I’ve got a spare set of axles, so if something is damaged I can use parts from those, providing they’re good. 
It’s raining here so I’m afraid I won’t get to do much about the axle today, but later this evening I plan on starting to refurbish some of the parts I pulled off the ‘47. Probably just sanding a few parts to prep for a coat of paint, the heater, shift tower, starter, coil bracket, water pump housing, etc. 
I’m about to go pull the alternator real quick in the rain and take it and get it tested, then we’re taking the kids to the supercross race today. 
Thanks for the help! 
Have a good’n. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 6:38am
Well...... “two Jeeps” becomes “three Jeeps” later today. I picked up a ‘51 Cj3a at a price I couldn’t pass up. It’s a very complete jeep, just disassembled LOL, but that contributed to the price so I can’t complain. Quick summary on it, complete, not missing any parts, was supposedly running when it was parked a years back, has been parked under a pole barn for about 10 years that I know of and the previous owners couldn’t get the engine to turn by hand. They sold it as a complete jeep to the person who I bought it from, and they couldn’t get it to turn by hand either and started disassembling it, tub off the body etc.  The drive train has not been opened up, only bolt on parts taken off. So later today I’ll get it home and get to know it. Pics to come. 

Also just ordered a LOT of parts for the ‘47. So I’m in it deep now. No turning back. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 12:55am
Well the ‘51 3a is home... meet Georgia...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 12:58am
It’s in decent condition and it’s complete, the only thing Ive found missing is a hood latch. The tub is just sitting on the frame right now and everything is disassembled. She needs some love. I’ll start soaking the cylinders and see if I can get the engine to turn over soon. 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 1:13am
Oh man, looks like you have caught the Jeep disease bad!! I’m sorry LOLLOL... Nice score, looks like you got a ton of good parts!

Edited by ggordon49 - 14 Apr. 2021 at 1:14am
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 1:14am
I know man... terrible ain’t it?LOL I also have a 73-79 ford truck habit....Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>