Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carter WO reproduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter WO reproduction
    Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 5:08pm
Has anyone tried the Carter WO reproduction? Thoughts please. Thanks, Bob
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill, If I was married to you I would poison your coffee. Churchill's reply, if I was married to you I would drink it!
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 10:05pm
I recently bought one and put it on a fresh rebuilt motor. New everything, fuel pump, dizzy etc. I have bought new carbs in the past that performed well right out of the box. With that being said I cant get the repop carter to accelerate smoothly unless i pump the throttle...it acts like its starving for fuel and wants to die unless i run it at half choke then it seems ok. Im going to pull it off and adjust the float and metering rod, which the tools and instructions were provided . I'll put my solex back on and see if I can eliminate a fuel problem.   On the plus side, I can adjust the idle on this repop carter so low I can barely hear the motor run. Sorry I have not field tested this carb to give anymore info as my jeep is still in the rebuild phase...
Bret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 11:49pm
I bought one a couple of months ago as well. Started right up , Idled great, but had the same stumble blademaker is reporting. Ended up getting in touch with ScoutPilot & he graciously suggested a solution. He suggested I loosen the nut securing the metering rod & then just barely raise the metering rod & retightening the nut. I raised the rod maybe 1/32 of an inch. Solved the problem! Very happy with carb. And thanks again to ScoutPilot, he had rebuilt a carb for me previously & it was great!
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 5:54pm
+1 on scoutpilot. He just rebuilt one for me, I can't imagine how a repop could be any better than what got back from him. Also, he puts them on his jeep and runs them to check everything and tune them. The service he provides is amazing.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Shaskan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaskan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 12:42am
I just installed a complete reconditioned WO.  It was done through Autoline of Canada.  Super high quality and for/finish are right.  Like most others i had to adjust height in the metering rod and set the air/fuel mixture.  Worked great, though it took some time to get set right.  Rockauto sells for $300 but $125 is a core charge.  

My original had been rebuilt by me, then by a professional shop.  The thing just never was able to seal righ and always had a vacuum leak... just a bit, but with the go-devil you need every bit of power possible.

Not sure how to rotate the photo...  sorry

Frank

Edited by Shaskan - 03 Feb. 2020 at 1:14pm
Frank
'48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply