Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2020! - Event Date: 20 Sep. 2020 - 26 Sep. 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 4:43pm
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Gone_gpn has also posted some great videos over on their Instagram page of the daily highlights!

If you aren't on Instagram you can find the highlight videos on our Facebook and YouTube channels too

Traci
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2020 at 12:02pm
Last night we had our annual raffle, and it was a great time.  We lined all the tables full of prizes up in the shop doorways, and lined up all the chairs for folks to sit on out in the driveway.  We tried to make the scene "covid resistant" but I think we didn't maintain our "social spacing" very well.  I pulled tickets from the buckets and the winners would come up to have their tickets verified by Traci or Tiny, then they would collect one of the items on the tables as their prize.  As the evening went on it became obvious who had invested heavily in tickets, as they came up time after time after time when their ticket numbers were called.  There were plenty of moments of laughter as someone would make a funny comment about a certain prize or prize-winner.  But there was a collective groan of disappointment as the Jeep quilt that Kate made was chosen.  I think a lot of folks really wanted that quilt. It was certainly the most sought after prize of all.  

And the three rides we offered yesterday were all enjoyed by most.  Ron took a group over to Chinaman Gulch with a few trying Carnage Canyon.  Chinaman Gulch is a tough course that will really test the abilities of any driver with a Jeep.  That course has put many a scrape or dent on the vehicles that challenge it's rocks.  And Carnage Canyon again lived up to it's name, crippling a Jeep or two.  But at the end of the day, all Jeeps made it back to the ranch.  Bruce took his group up to Vicksburg and Winfield, two ghost towns that have a charm all their own.  Despite the washboard road that lead them there, it was an easy drive.  That is until he took them on the trail to Clohesey Lake.  That gave them a couple of water crossings, and some rough ground to drive over.  They passed through piles of avalanche debris that has kept that route closed for a couple of years.  A local off-road vehicle organization has been working with the US Forest Service to clear the trail and Bruce's group was one of the first groups to give it a try.  They made it up to the gate just before the lake.  And Mike's group took on the challenge of grinding their way up Mount Princeton to the Bristlecone Lodge at just over 12,000 feet elevation.  Snow on the road near the top provided an extra challenge, but all the Jeeps made it over the snow.  Lunch was enjoyed looking out across the many mountains around us.  We made a quick descent from the mountain and an early arrival back at the ranch.  

Today is the day for our "Grand Ride" up and over Aspen Ridge.  We'll split into two groups for this tour.  One group approaches the ridge from the south end, the other from the north end.  We wind our way up and over the many viewpoints and obstacles until we all meet in a large meadow for lunch.  Then we split up again to continue our journeys either north or south. There's lots of fun and fellowship as we pass through clones of aspen covering hundreds of acres.  We're all looking forward to seeing lots of great colors in the trees up there.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2020 at 3:57pm
Sounds like all of us that didn't make it really missed out again! Thank you for the update! 

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 3:40am
Thank you Mike & Nancy for hosting another fantastic Fall Colors Tour.  Also thank you to all your helpers.
Ruthie & I had lots of fun.  It was good to connect with old Jeep friends over coffee in the early morning,  thanks Kate.

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 11:51am
Our Friday Grand Ride on Aspen Ridge was a huge success.  First, we had no breakdowns! Yay! And when we got at our lunch stop, the second group met us within about 10 minutes of our arrival.  The colors were good, but the scenery was grand.  There were many places where we could look across the Arkansas River valley and see several 14,000 foot tall mountains.  The other part that was special today was that the bighorn sheep were out where we could see them.  There were two bands of sheep near the Castles on Aspen Ridge.  The Castles are huge rock formations that look like ancient castles.  A couple people got videos of the sheep, and I hope they will post them up in the next week.  We had about 30 - 35 Jeeps join us for this ride.  Ron took half up to the Castles and started south.  I took the rest to Salida and started north.  We met in the middle for lunch.  Along the way we visited many viewpoints and a real ghost town.  In fact it was said that if you hid in the trees late at night, then you could see the ghosts of the miners come out and dance in the road at midnight.  

Quite a few folks headed for home on Friday, some travelling as far as 1800 miles over the next 3 days. I expect that most of the folks who remain will leave for home today.  I know that by tomorrow the Thirsty Dirt Ranch will once again be quiet.  But that does not mean that the work is done.  I've got to winterize the shower shed and haul it out behind the shop.  I'll collect all the recycled materials and take them to our recycle center.  I'll haul a trailer load of trash to the dump.  And I'll spend days getting the shop back in shape to provide support through the winter.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 2:54pm
Great trip once again, Mike - maybe the finest in the 8 that I've attended.  You and your crew do a fantastic job and I know a lot of work goes into putting this "Jeepstock" together.  Thanks for letting me, Annie, and Holly be a part of it.  ---Tom
Tom
1949 CJ3A

scharpwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scharpwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 5:42pm
Hello mike, we didn’t get a chance to say goodbye Friday morning when we headed out early.  We really want to thank you for hosting this great event. And thanks for everyone’s advice....good, bad, solicited and unsolicited!! I learned lots of stuff you don’t find in a book! 

Jeff Scharping and Neil Havran - wichita, KS - red jeep/white van 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 11:17am
The party's over, the guests have gone.  TDR is back to being the quiet place we love.  My work is certainly not over yet.  Yesterday Jim helped me get the showers disconnected and drained.  Then we towed the shed out behind the shop.  We put it up on blocks and left it for the winter.  I moved enough stuff around that I can get the Jeep and pickup into the shop where they belong.  I did a walk around to look for trash or anything left on the ground.  I only found two pieces of trash on all the land that was camped or driven on.  So thank you to everyone for keeping TDR clean.  So far we've only found a couple of towels left behind.  I hung the C-47 panel that everyone signed up above my tool board near the lift.  It's easy to read all the names and will be a great reminder of the good days we had at this year's FCT.  

Nancy and I thank everyone who bought raffle tickets.  The money collected will cover our expected costs, and has provided some funds to increase my "parts on hand" stock for next year.  I shared some of the money with Bruce and Ron to thank them for doing great jobs as guides, and to encourage them to guide again next year. 

I want to encourage everyone who was ehre to post some potos of thier experience.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 6:38pm
A HUGE THANK YOU to Mike, Nancy, Ron and Bruce for putting up with the Gone-Gpn crew all week. We will be putting together longer event videos in the coming weeks for everyone to enjoy.
THANK YOU Mike and Nancy for the hospitality and the use of the tent, it was wonderful to stay at the ranch and be warm and cozy. (Hope we didn't spoil Mork and Mindy too much)
Thank you for letting Tater and Conundrum hang out there this winter.

Traci & the Gone-Gpn crew
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 9:03pm

Posting a few of the photos I took during the FCT 2020. 
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 10:26pm
Thanks again Mike and Nancy.  And all the helpers!  Awesome week as usual!  
This years favorite ride for me.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 11:41pm
49 CJ3A Project in Process
52 MC - Trail Jeep (Iron Duke, T18, Scout 300, Dana 30F Dana 44 Rear, ARBs etc.)

47 T3C

Plus a couple of "modern" CJs
willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 11:48pm
49 CJ3A Project in Process
52 MC - Trail Jeep (Iron Duke, T18, Scout 300, Dana 30F Dana 44 Rear, ARBs etc.)

47 T3C

Plus a couple of "modern" CJs
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 11:57pm
Mike and Nancy - Thanks for an awesome FCT 2020!  Made it back to Maryland today and I will be posting photos over the next couple of days.  I also want to than Mike, Bruce, and Ron for the great tours and and a big thanks to everyone who helped make this event possible. 

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:29am

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:36am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>