Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Central PA Winter trail ride - Event Date: 16 Feb. 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 8:22pm
This is the current condition of the roads we will be using... Ive done it with and without chains... Its your preference but if you have a set or two.....this will be a good excuse to "throw iron" This photo was taken today... In the next 3 weeks there could be a foot of snow or it could be bare dirt. You never know around here but wanted to give you time to prepare. This should make for some really fun pictures and videos! 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 3:18am
That is exactly what we are hoping for . .  snowy trails,  and blue sky.  LOL

I keep wondering if there is anything I need to get ready on Wilson before "snow-crossing".   We don't have a lot of experience with that. Smile

On the subject of "chains".   I did get some of these "cable chains",  years ago for our Liberty,  back in our skiing days . . .  in case we ran into some really bad, icy conditions on the mountain roads.

I did mount them to Wilson once when we had a fairly decent snow.   Driving thru our woods trails though,  I could not really tell if they were helping much, (on 31x10.50 BFG KM2 tires).

I imagine they help a lot on hard-packed or icy roads,  not sure on softer trail conditions.

Should I bring them in case they might help NDT's in snow?

Edit: I just had to go out and see if they fit.   They are a little large for 7.50 x 16 NDTs,  but even worse,  the cable sinks down into the lugs.  The only possibility is that the small amount in center "might" help a little, but I doubt it.   (except maybe on ice)
So now wondering if I should invest in some "real" chains.  haha  . .   when possibly the only time I would use them, is if this becomes an annual event. Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 21 Jan. 2020 at 4:06am
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 4:14am
JeepFever: Yes! The blue sky’s are a welcome sight. The only part of our ride that Chains will be really nice is for the “roads” between trails. The snowmobiles pack them down and they get icy. Chains or cables will help a lot there. The actual “trails” won’t be icy.....just snow/dirt. Chains/cables won’t be as noticeable there. I would imagine the cables even with just being exposed over the center lug would still be helpful on smooth ice. I have the same tires as you and my chains fall into the tread as well. That’s a lot of contact pressure over the center of the tread so it should dig into the once quite well! I will try to avoid the really treacherous sections of road... bring what you have and we will make it work! I would hate for someone to go buy a set of expensive chains...come here and then we have a heat wave and we end up driving on bare dirt roads. Haha! That being said....this may also be an excuse to buy chains and play around with them if that’s something you’ve been wanting in your tool kit. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 5:19am
Welcome to the page, Csawyer78!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Csawyer78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Csawyer78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 1:48am
Thanks! Glad to be here. I don't have chains for my 32" swampers, but I have a good tow strapConfused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 3:27am
Great!! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 10:18am
Road conditions update. We’re still a few weeks out but the sun was shining so I went up on the mountain to check the roads. There’s no snow in sight at my house but still some in the woods

Edited by Millennium falcon - 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:59am
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Road conditions update. We’re still a few weeks out but the sun was shining so I went up on the mountain to check the roads. There’s no snow in sight at my house but still some in the woods. This video is just the state roads that we will use to get to the trails. They will be mostly snow and not packed down and icy like the roads. I had a blast out cruising around. 

You know driving on snow or ice with NDTs is a disaster waiting to happen.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 1:49pm
I’ve heard that but completely disagree. I was in 2wd the whole time I was out and had zero problems. Some people just suck at driving! 😂 
jsimmers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsimmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 3:48am
hope to make it new to your group is there a number i can call to talk to someone
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 1:41pm
I have the rear end torn apart at the moment to fix a couple of issues that popped up late this summer.  If work cooperates and I can get get everything back together in time count me in as well.

1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 8:06pm
Sure.pm sent. 

Originally posted by jsimmers jsimmers wrote:

hope to make it new to your group is there a number i can call to talk to someone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 3:02am
Only two more weeks!! 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 4:23am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Don't forget, he just recently siped those tires so they won't be so dangerous.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 12:38pm
(Allen & ol’ unreliable ) 

Please keep this discussion about the event. If you can’t control your keyboard feel free to leave this discussion (which is not about tires) all tire choices are welcome and we will all have a great time seeing how everyone’s rig performs. 

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Don't forget, he just recently siped those tires so they won't be so dangerous.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 8:14pm
I'm envious of Seth, living close to forest dirt roads like that--Willys Country!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2020 at 3:29pm
One week away,  from departure date.    Weather forecast could still change . . . right now prediction for Sat/Sun look great,   but not a lot of chance for decent snow in the week preceding. Unhappy

This can still be game-day decision,  but hoping for more snow. Smile

I have been trying to think of what preparations are needed.  Everything works,  but need to think of what to take and how to pack etc.

I did try the tire cables for short test.   They are sized too large to be ideal for 7.50 NDTs,   but I could not spin them off while on trail,   and could go down the road at 35mph without flying off.  Shocked

Chrisyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2020 at 3:33pm
Do you have the place we should meet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>