Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Granddaughter is Hooked :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Granddaughter is Hooked :-)
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 4:57am
We went to our son's house for dinner this evening.  (Today was an amazingly nice weather day for mid January in VA).   The FIRST thing our 4 year-old granddaughter shared with me was the Jeep ride that she went on today.  She described every detail.  

My son has modified '84 CJ-7 . .  a father-son project that we first built in 1998, and he still has.

Hopefully the family tradition will continue.   My grandfather had a '2A (sure wish he had kept that "lefty",  and I could have a "Grandpa's Jeep" Smile)

My father had 3 different CJ-5's while I was home -> a '62 w/283 , '72 stock , and brand new '77 w/ 304.   He extensively wheeled SW Colorado with the last one.   

I started Jeepin' with a fixer-upper '77 Cherokee,  then shortly after another fixer-upper -> Wilson  (over 30 years ago).

Both of of my sons have CJ-7s that we built together. 

Looks like grandkids might get the fever also!!!

jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 11:52am
What a great family tradition and a perfect way to spend some quality family time!
1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Looks like grandkids might get the fever also!!!

Nice! Thumbs Up  (So many distractions for kids these days)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 3:02pm
JeepFever,

That is good to hear about the grand daughter.
My oldest daughter, now age 33 learned to drive in the bed of the Eel River in Humboldt County California in my 304 powered '77 cj7 with T-18 transmission. Today, she drives a real tidy 2014 Cherokee with the 9-speed automatic. (I like it on highway).
   If you had your choice, would you go with the 283 over the 304 ?

My confession:   I've now owned my '77 cj7 for 38 years, and have never pulled a valve cover off that engine. It carried me over the Rubicon trail for 16 summers with no issues other than having to slightly lower the float level.
   I have a 2-year old Grand Daughter that I am hoping will like Jeeps.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

J . . .
   If you had your choice, would you go with the 283 over the 304 ?

That was 40+ years ago.  haha   Although some memories are fairly vivid.  

Dad had the '62 with 283 when I was in high school and I drove it fairly often.   I remember not using 1st gear while on the road.  It had enough torque to start out in 2nd gear.    It had loud exhaust and I thought I was so cool when driving it.  haha

It did have one flaw that could have possibly been fixed with different carb,   it would not go up steep hills.   Dad would probably have been upset if he had known where I was trying to drive that Jeep,    but we all know how high school kids can be. LOL

I was in college when he had the 304,   I don't recall ever driving it,   so I really could not compare the 2.
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 8:36pm
Great to hear about "kids in Jeeps!
Fuzz
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 12:56am
To all,

Due to the aging process, I now have a designated driver to operate my 45 2A.

I am deciding whether to bail or grab the cb and call for assistance.

Mr. Toad wild ride has nothing on me with this designated driver,

Frank
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 1:36am
lol. Can you reach the key and pull the brake?

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 3:21am
Frank,   that is a great photo!

She is definitely having fun. Smile
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 12:45am
I got my grand kids hook at about age 7. I started to teach them how to drive the old willys then and as anybody that has came out to the Oregon Spring Fling can tell you I hardly get to drive my jeep anymore as they always do the driving. The grandson is now 16 and has got his own 93 Cherokee and the Granddaughter is 14 now and drive mine all over and is a pretty good off roader.  Some time I have do go out with out them just so I can drive. I love every minute of it though.

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply