Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about oil pan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmallFan44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about oil pan
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 8:17pm
Can anyone help with identifying this iol pan?  I took down the oil pan on my sort-of-a-CJ2A to inspect the bearings and etc.  with it off I decided to cut off a rather crude home-made skid plate (a piece of 1/4" tread plate) and found this underneath.  
I know that it is not the correct oil pan for a CJ2A.  Curiosity causes me to ask if anyone knows what is is from.
A more important question.  It appears to hold less oil than a stock CJ2A pan, perhaps as much as  a quart less.  Is this usable on a CJ2A or should I just acquire a proper replacement.  If I can use it, I can fabricate a proper skid plate for it.  If not, it's up for grabs.
Dave 47, 50, 53 Farmalls 46 CJ2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 8:42pm
Could be from a Henry J car -  L134 Supersonic - they don't have skid plates.  Or from an industrial engine.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 9:11pm
The DJ3A also did not have a skid plate nor did the various cars that used a 134L I am trying to track down if the Wagon came with a Skid plate on the oil pan no luck yet.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 9:56pm
If I recall correctly the wagons didn’t have a skid as well. I have one of those pans somewhere...I think. It came with my U-code engine.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 12:25am
A SuperSonic oil pan has the drain plug on the left hand side of the engine looking at the engine from the front, a Jeep has it on the right. If it’s less capacity I would think it’s from an industrial application, or a pre-war Willy’s car.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 12:39am
Supersonic in blue, CJ2a in black below

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
FarmallFan44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmallFan44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 7:13pm
Thanks folks!  Stev, LEE, that's it!  Just like the one I have, drain plug on Left side.  I think that whoever built up this engine that's in my CJ2A must have had one of those Supersonic engines around and used some of the parts from it.
I'm a bit concerned about the lower oil holding capacity of that pan.  After all, more oil is always better.  With the input that you all have kindly provided I have decided to get a proper pan and put this one aside in case I run into anyone who can use it.
In the Farmall restorers crowd we often refer to a machine that has been built up from an odd collection of parts as a "Frankentractor", I'm more and more thinking that I have a "Frankenjeep" on my hands here.  Good enough, I just want a reliable driver not a show car restoration.  
Dave 47, 50, 53 Farmalls 46 CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 7:19pm
"Frankenjeep" is common in the Willys vernacular as well, though I'm partial to "Jeep Salad" LOL

(a.k.a., a lot can happen in 6 or 7 decades Wink )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 8:57pm
That oil pan, or oil sump, is indeed from an (APU), Auxiliary Power Unit. It is exactly like the one on the welder we have on the family farm, same color as well. It does hold four quarts of oil.

Note: It is "normal", or Industry Standard, to view the engine from the drivers seat, if the drain plug is on the left, (drivers), side of the engine it is referred to as being on the left side of the engine. The fan is always at the front of the engine. Anything else can confuse most engine shops and machine shops. It does confuse me.

Thus, the APU engine has it's drain plug on the right side of the engine, not the left.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

A SuperSonic oil pan has the drain plug on the left hand side of the engine looking at the engine from the front....

This pretty much eliminates the confusion for me.....(but then, not everybody does that either)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 2:29am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

A SuperSonic oil pan has the drain plug on the left hand side of the engine looking at the engine from the front....

This pretty much eliminates the confusion for me.....(but then, not everybody does that either)

Bolding mine.

I rest my case.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 4:00am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

........ Anything else can confuse most engine shops and machine shops. It does confuse me.....

Exactly...so instead of being confused (and wondering if whoever is making the post is a professionally trained mechanic and knows what "normal" or "standard" is) wouldn't it just be easier to teach them to take the extra 10 seconds or so just to say which way they are facing like Lee did?

Yes, some of us have been around wrenches for awhile and know that front and back refers to sitting in the drivers' seat but not all have.

Eliminating the guesswork is pretty easy....Say which way you are facing in relation to the vehicle and all problems are solved.Thumbs Up

(Driverside and passengerside technically have no business in describing something in Jeep Land either if you get right down to it.)....what if it's a Postal?Wink

(bolding is mine).... since we are trying to get everything straight I'm not sure why we really say this either since when you quote someone the original post is still there as a reference....but I'll take the extra few seconds to add that disclaimer too....to avoid confusion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 6:13am
Port and Starboard would be so much clearer LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

........ Anything else can confuse most engine shops and machine shops. It does confuse me.....

Exactly...so instead of being confused (and wondering if whoever is making the post is a professionally trained mechanic and knows what "normal" or "standard" is) wouldn't it just be easier to teach them to take the extra 10 seconds or so just to say which way they are facing like Lee did?

Yes, some of us have been around wrenches for awhile and know that front and back refers to sitting in the drivers' seat but not all have.

Eliminating the guesswork is pretty easy....Say which way you are facing in relation to the vehicle and all problems are solved.Thumbs Up

(Driverside and passengerside technically have no business in describing something in Jeep Land either if you get right down to it.)....what if it's a Postal?Wink

(bolding is mine).... since we are trying to get everything straight I'm not sure why we really say this either since when you quote someone the original post is still there as a reference....but I'll take the extra few seconds to add that disclaimer too....to avoid confusion.

Again, bolding mine.

I use bolding so that you-all know what part of the quote I am referring to. It makes it quicker for you.Smile

Why spend 10 seconds to teach them to do as Lee did when we can use the same 10 seconds to teach them the Industry Standard? That way they look more informed to the machine shops & other mechanics. It gets them some instant respect in many cases. I suppose that we could spend 20 seconds to teach them both?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 11:59am
I'm confused Confused  which way are we doing it?... or are they doing it?  If I say "top", do I have to say if I'm standing on my head?...or if it's upside down? What if it's upside down AND I'm standing on my head? What about the peeps south of the equator?  Don't even get me started with clockwise or counterclockwise...

Bolding mine, and everything I just wrote is complete sarcasm...

ETA:  and for what it's worth, I took way more away from the picture Stev posted, so I don't care if he was standing in a boat, or on a train...

Edited by mbullism - 15 Jan. 2020 at 12:02pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 1:21pm

Why spend 10 seconds to teach them to do as Lee did when we can use the same 10 seconds to teach them the Industry Standard?

You are absolutely RIGHT!......(how's that?)

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

...and for what it's worth, I took way more away from the picture Stev posted....

You are absolutely RIGHT as well!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 8:47am
I have no desire to be right. I do love to share my knowledge with folks. If I can help someone out, I will. If I can help them to succeed, I am overjoyed.

As far as our exchange in this thread, let me say this, Mbullism & Ronroll are good guys, & they get it. Sometimes they tease me & I am so dense that I do not see that. OK, OK, maybe it is more often than sometimes!Smile

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:08pm
I have one of these pans on my Willys, too! I'm going to keep it. Less oil and lighter weight which will make it go faster, right? Maybe correct is a better word. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>