Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with a new CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicpanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a new CJ2A
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 4:11pm
Hi folks:

I am looking at a 1948 CJ2A that has been in storage for almost 40 years (original owner). It needs some body work, and not sure what I am getting into mechanically. I have restored a number of vehicles, and presently have a 1950 Jeepster. 

I was wondering if there is anyone who may be willing to have a phone call with me to discuss this vehicle? I had my body guy look at it and the body work isn't too daunting (pass side panel and rear corners, drivers fender).

The frame appears to be in good condition and the paint looks almost new under the dust. It has a metal top that the original owner says he bought with the Jeep, and I assume it was an aftermarket item the dealer sold and installed. I have no interest in it, and was wondering if there is any value in them?

In any event, I would enjoy an opportunity to speak with a current owner to get up to speed on this model. I live in the Pittsburgh area, if there is anyone local I could connect with, that would be great.

Thanks,

Vic Panza

1947 Willys CJ2A
1959 Triumph TR3A
1956 Triumph TR3 (small mouth)
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 4:43pm
Vic,
Welcome to the CJ2A Page.  Post a few pictures of this jeep and I am sure you will get feed back on the 1948.

Pictures of the overall Jeep, engine bay, dash, seats, should get the conversation going.

There are also serial number ranges and other numbers on the Jeep that will help.

Part of the 1948 production was a group of Jeeps with the spare tire on the drivers side and the top bow storage packets on the passenger side these Jeeps are referred to as "Leftys".  The standard Cj2As have the spare tire mounted on the passenger side and the bow storage pockets on the drivers side. 

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 4:55pm
Welcome Thumbs Up

I gotta second Stev's suggestion... a lot of folks here know a little about a lot, and some know a lot about a little... best thing about posting pics is you get to "talk" to hundreds of current owners, all with varying experiences and exposures to all things 2A.  A picture is worth a thousand words and all that.

You'll have to trust me... most folks here won't bite LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 5:10pm
Welcome aboard Vic.You should find all the information you’re looking for with the guys on this forum.Good luck with your 48 Willys Jeep.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 7:09pm
Welcome to the madness. From your description, you're starting with a solid vehicle and if you've got experience in restorations you're ahead of the game. And always remember, if you need help spending your money we're here for you.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Cheapsnake Cheapsnake wrote:

Welcome to the madness. From your description, you're starting with a solid vehicle and if you've got experience in restorations you're ahead of the game. And always remember, if you need help spending your money we're here for you.

This!

We especially enjoy spending your money.

The metal top is what helped this rig to be as rust free as it is. If you were closer, I would be interested in that top. Yes, there are other folks like me that are closer to you that will want the top.

Pictures are good! Have you acquired this Willys yet? If the rust is minimal, the value is greater, but you know that.

Again, Welcome aboard, Cpt Logger.
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 10:23pm
If it was stored 40 years under cover, I think that's a plus. 50% less exposure to road salt, water and the attentions of "Bubba".

BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 3:14am
happy to chat anytime.I'm in State College PA. Just finished (???) a '48 CJ2A rebuild and now starting a '50 M38 frame up resto.  Considering pulling together a central PA Willys picnic/ride this summer at my camp in Clearfield County this summer if there's interest. Send me a PM when you get the chance.
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
vicpanza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicpanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 11:29am
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I have yet to acquire the Jeep, but hope to do so this weekend. I do have a few pics of it in storage. Really hard to get good shots given the way it is packed into the garage. If I get it, will put it on the lift and get lost of angles.

Thx
Vic Panza

1947 Willys CJ2A
1959 Triumph TR3A
1956 Triumph TR3 (small mouth)
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:15pm
Nice rig Vic.  Looks unmolested, and an excellent start.  Good luck on the purchase!
John

'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:20pm
Welcome Vic!

From the one pic you posted it looks very promising and very original (unmolested) from the front angle.

The front right wheel the side mirror even looks original to me.

Looking forward to more pictures and I'm really hoping the engine compartment is all original so be sure to post some pics from there.

I have an all original 48 myself and want to see the hoses, fuel pump area, and battery cables especially as its a the few areas I have left to replace with original parts.

The top is definitely a common aftermarket replacement I'm seen many times.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:32pm
From the one pic, definitely a lot of promise.  More important?  indoors with the top on (more likely the trans/TC isn't an aquarium LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:55pm
Vic,

I'm not too far from you either. Down in the south hills but work in town. Feel free to PM me. if I can help.

Jeremy  
1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 5:01pm
Wow, if that is as original as it appears, I would not touch a thing. Just get her running and preserve her as a survivor.

Nice find.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
markscj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markscj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 10:01pm
That is a nice looking Jeep.  On my monitor (and monitors lie) it looks to be a maroon color.  Is the interior and engine compartment that color?  The closest factory color I would match it to is Luzon Red.

If it is not a factory color it would be interesting to know what paint it left Willys with.

I don't believe you will have trouble selling that top.  Can't wait to see more pics.
1946 CJ2A -Old Jeeps Rule
1998 Wrangler TJ-plow jeep
2018 Wrangler JK Willys Pkg.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 1:19am
Welcome to the party, looks like a great place to start. 
Based on my limited knowledge, here's what I see-the window mirror is aftermarket, and the marker lights under the headlights look like they came from something else, looks like it has a wiper motor (although it looks like the plumbing maybe isn't hooked up-since the wiper runs on vacuum that might mean the motor isn't running very well, or the line was just plugged and it runs fine), front frame horns look good, seems like it has a tailgate, good glass, no obvious dents or heavy rust on what's visible in the picture, and comes with a matching spare. It looks great. Given its location and the fact it has a top, I wouldn't be surprised if it has a heater.
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 2:48am
That looks like a very nice unmolested rig. Time to buy is when you find it . . .
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 3:50am
Welcome to the page, vicpanza!  Snag that Jeep!!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>