Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Knuckle stud upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by TXtea TXtea wrote:

So I was looking over this mod and I really like it.  Thanks for the video Unclemoak.  But I was wondering if anyone has done this with the Tracker disc conversion?  I've got a 1/2" thick disc mount that also bolts to the spindle, so I will need longer bolts, but wanted to make sure the excess bolt length will not interfere with the hub.  I have very little clearance right now, so I'm sure it will be closer after this mod.

Making sure the fasteners have a minimum of 3-4 threads past the nut is best.

I have done a lot of the drum brake Dana 30 axles with the factory studs. One of the reasons my brackets are a 1/4" ( which is still PLENTY thick ) is to allow using the factory studs and nuts in that application. If the bracket is any thicker you don't have any threads past the stock stud. If the stud is too long you risk hitting the back of the bearing hubs and spindle seal area ( especially with a worn inner wheel bearing ).

The best answer is to mock everything up. Maintain as much stud length as you can. It is fairly easy to shorten them if needed with a grinder and a nut/file to clean up the threads.

When we did the button head mod back in the day, we used two different lengths to allow the pocket mod for full turning angle.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123