Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killer Tunes in Garage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killer Tunes in Garage?
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 4:53am
How many of us have killer tunes in our garage space?

I imagine that "killer" is a relative term,  because great sound to one person might be not be so great to another.

My garage has a couple bays . . .  over the years I added "sound" to a both of them.   

1) the wood-shop/daily-driver-parking side has Kenwood stereo from the 80's.  It lost some of its punch over the years,  but I discovered last year that the sub-woofer speaker surround had deteriorated.  I replaced it, and got back much better bass.

2) the "car/Jeep" bay has a Bose entertainment system that my wife banned from the house because I kept cranking it up during movies.  

I don't often fire up the tunes,  but this evening while working on daily driver, I decided some music would be nice.   I got immersed in some 70's tunes that took me back to my youth. LOL     After finishing my work on daily driver,   I cranked it up even louder, and then went back and forth between bays,  comparing the systems.   To me,  they both sounded great . .  different but cool,   both clear with plenty of bass.

Anybody else hang out in garage for the music? Smile

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 5:42am
Nothing fancy...just a Pioneer SK-31 Boom Box I bought when I graduated Basic Training in 1980.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 6:39am
48cj2  Your showing off now. My Shop tunes are from the Pioneer SK-21 Personal Stereo I bought in 1980 right after leaving the NAVY cause some SOB stole my Toshiba I bought when I was stationed at Oak Knoll Naval Hospital.

This thing has been on almost the whole time. My son when he was just three hit the pause button on the Cassette Deck and I didn't notice it for like 3 days so that has been messed a while (he turned 35 just before Christmas LOL)

I collect vintage stereo gear and could have a much fancier setup but this box is just to easy to use.

My Office system right next to the shop is a different matter completely

I have a

1974 Pioneer SA-9100 Amp (top of the line for 73-74)
1974 Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner   "   "   "     "     "      "
1984 Pioneer SG -750 Spectrum Anaylzer
TEAC A-1200 Reel to Reel Deck
Pro-Ject Turntable

Pioneer HPM-60 Speakers

Edited by Mark W. - 23 Jan. 2020 at 6:44am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 10:05am
funny....I just finished setting up my tunes in the new shop this past Sunday. 

I've got a Pioneer receiver of some sort. It's a nice ones the kids bought me for Father's Day some years ago. But I'm not up on the specs. Pioneer CD player. It all sits in a cabinet on top of a non functioning Onkyo receiver i bought when i was 18. I vow some day to have it repaired. It's such a cool piece. For speakers - I've got some Definitive Technology indoor outdoor jobbies. 

It sounds pretty good and will crank up. But it sounded much better in the older, smaller space. In the new space, it's a little weak in my opinion. But, I've been known to crank it up to the point that neighbor's either complain or join the party. so maybe my perception is off a bit. Ha. 

I run most of my music through my phone these days. So my next add will be a blue tooth adapter. 

Some days when i go out to "work" I end up just sitting in my lawn chair amidst my stuff and listening to music. Don't get a lot done. But I'm good with it....

Edited by nofender - 23 Jan. 2020 at 10:08am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 1:43pm
I used to have a vintage boom box in my garage, but it wasn't "vintage" at the time.  That was back in the '90s.  Since then I've decided that it's a lot nicer to have quiet at times.  No music in the garage, none up at the lake, none while 'wheeling or camping.  I do usually have the radio or a disk playing when I'm driving, but the radio in my Bronco died a year or two ago.  That's my summer daily driver but I haven't seen the need to get it replaced yet.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 2:16pm
I am similar in that music does not have to be playing all the time.    It seems odd,  but I can work all day in garage and not turn on the stereo,   but at night it just seems too quiet without it.  Confused

As I think about it,   the evolution of tunes did start with boom-box,    then when Kenwood system got booted from house, it went to garage.     The Bose was next.

Edited by JeepFever - 23 Jan. 2020 at 2:19pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 3:00pm
Since I like fooling around buying/trading old Danelectro/Silvertone products I ended up with a couple of old 60's Silvertone amp-in-case guitar cases that I wasn't using.....

These, though sellable weren't pristine and since that is the determining factor in price with these I decided to use two of them this way.....(the cases weren't harmed in any way and can be returned to use by disconnecting the speaker wires)Wink

The stereo is a small Sony bookshelf stereo CD/cassette/radio with 'nice enough' sound for a shop.

To the left of this pic in the other corner (20ft) is an identical shelf/case setup....I used it that way for awhile then added the 2 little Sony speakers at the other end of the shop (36ft away where I am working most of the time anyway)

Not a "high end" or high power setup but with the other two speakers added I can use less volume for better sound at the same listening level.....nothing fancy but its something novel for the shop.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 3:28pm
I like music and often play it in the garage while I work. 
I am not a fussy music listener and fall into the "good enough" school of playback equipment. 
I have a single blue tooth speaker that to me sounds surprisingly good and it's usually playing the "classic rock" channel from Pandora beamed from my phone. 
Haven't got much feedback from the neighbors except some that I see at church. These are younger people that walk by with their kids and they say it makes them smile when they hear some 70's headbanging music wafting out of "Brother Fuller's" garage. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 3:30pm
My wood shop system is a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch speakers. I have another pair of speakers in the Jeep part of the shop. They are ESS amt 4s which I bought overseas in the early 70s when I was in the Army. I had to replace the woofers some years back but they still sound as good as they did set up in the barracks.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 5:09pm
rocnroll this is our Silvertone its a 1936 4485 all electronically restored. It used to be in the Hobby Shop I did business with the owner was very proud of it it sat playing all the time inbetween a couple of his big show cases. The one Christmas tired from the day he left a candle burning on top of it and it burned down and ruined the veneer on the top. He was very mad at himself and at the time I was selling him some WWII era model airplane engines. Well somehow it got brought up how much I would like the radio and he sold it to me for what he had put into the restoration. A very fair price on my side.

Brought it home the wife looked in her drawer of fancy doilies and pulled one out the perfectly fit the top hiding the damage and we listen to it every Christmas. With a 75ft long wire antenna I have pulled in stations from the UK to Australia and a bunch I have no idea where they are due to the language spoken.

This is a photo from the net

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

...I decided to use two of them this way.

....nothing fancy but its something novel for the shop.

Chad - cool nostalgic way to re-purpose those cases and add a conversation piece too.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 6:24pm
A pair of UE booms & my phone on Pandora is as fancy as I get. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 7:10pm
Silvertone was Sears' nameplate. The guitars I like were made by Danelectro in NJ (really interesting 'mom & pop' type of company.....a lot of the same thriftiness that Willys had)

The Danos (electric) sold by Sears were rebranded Silvertones. Sears acoustic guitars had different manufacturers)

So before any of you put your 'Christmas present I never learned to play' in your next yardsale, please contact me.....might be interested in Danelectros, Silvertones or acoustically speaking Silvertone, Supertone, or Harmony. (Harmonys are cheaper, beginner or starter quality usually)

They were ALL cheap guitars back in the day sold mostly in department stores and mail order catalogs.

Fun radio MarkThumbs Up.....I remember us having a Silvertone TV in the late 60's.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Silvertone was Sears' nameplate. The guitars I like were made by Danelectro in NJ (really interesting 'mom & pop' type of company.....a lot of the same thriftiness that Willys had)

The Danos (electric) sold by Sears were rebranded Silvertones. Sears acoustic guitars had different manufacturers)

So before any of you put your 'Christmas present I never learned to play' in your next yardsale, please contact me.....might be interested in Danelectros, Silvertones or acoustically speaking Silvertone, Supertone, or Harmony. (Harmonys are cheaper, beginner or starter quality usually)

They were ALL cheap guitars back in the day sold mostly in department stores and mail order catalogs.

Don't forget the Stellas another inexpensive guitar of the yesterdays.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 9:06pm
The Stellas I always lump in with the Harmonys ......just brought one home from a junk store the other day for 30 bucks!.....SCORE!

Here lately you have to buy them before the 'painted/distressed furniture' women buy them and slather a thick coat of chalk paint on them and remove the front or back to use as a wall shelf..

Can't say much though, will probably make a light out of this one.....the neck's bad and a brace inside has come loose......fixable but not really worth it....its a $75 guitar at best.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 11:50pm
Chad, your post caught my eye today. 
The Danelectro story is interesting indeed. 
It was perhaps the ultimate "Mom and Pop" business in the postwar period. 
I have a Danelectro model 3022. It's the "bronze" model or what ever you'd call that finish. 
Rest assured I'm not well versed on old instruments but I got this from my father in the late sixties and have held onto it since. 
It's in pretty fair shape. 
I assume you know what I mean by a "lipstick model".
If so you might enlighten the under 60 crowd. 

Nice post. Hope it lasts on this page for a while. 

Fuzz
Fuzz
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 12:22am

Most descriptions called it copper but bronze is used also....very period color.

That model is commonly referred to as a 'shorthorn'.....or if it's black with a white pickguard, 'the Jimmy Page model'.....

Probably the most popular shape....

The lipstick pickups' sound is different and is the big draw for me and others as well. The pickup's case is made from (folklore says) a mass (read cheap) supply of lipstick cases Nat Daniel came up with.

For those interested, just Google lipstick pickup for more story than I want to type.

The guitar bodies were made out of Masonite (kitchen tabletop material in the 50s and 60s) which (since hollow) contributed to (in conjunction with pickups different from other guitar companies) the 'sound' they had and still have.

I'd be interested in yours but it sounds like a heirloom so take care of it and let me know if you ever do decide to get rid of it....not holding my breath.Big smile

Does yours have one PU or two...I assume two?

They don't have the collectability of more common guitars even though the numbers are smaller but do have a dedicated crowd...but its fun to hear or see a professional playing one of those "cheap guitars".

Sorry to get off topic guys...ya just hit a nerve I guess....kind of a companion topic.LOL

Edited by rocnroll - 24 Jan. 2020 at 12:45am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 1:00am
I have a Silvertone radio just like the one Mark posted in the gst bedroom, have not fired it up in 20yrs, Dad's no longer with me to make sure it works right. I still have a dozen table top models in wood, plastic and other in working (back then) condition after he did the rebuilds. I do not plug in now. As for "cheap strings" my BIL has my Harmony Rocket circa 1964, and my (you cant touch this) Fender tweed bandmaster amp, also restored by the old man.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>