Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A hardtop ID and Tub ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A hardtop ID and Tub ID
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 6:36am
I found this top in my area and am wondering if anyone can ID the make of the top.
The top has some damage, but looks repairable. It is missing door windows and the hardware to keep the windows in place or the window crank mechanism if that was an option on this top. I'm not looking to make it 100% original so i'm sure i can come up with something for the window assembly. 
Anybody got any idea of a price on this in the condition it is in now. I'm thinking maybe $200-250 tops. They are asking $500, but I think I can negotiate that down. The 2nd pic is the jeep that I need the top for, 46-CJ2A. The tub is not original, I'm not sure if it is a 2a or 3a tub. Anybody got any ideas what the tub came off of? My father replaced the tub a long time ago but I never asked him if he knew what the tub came off of. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 6:48am
If the Tub has a Hole half way between the gauges and the Data plate with 3 smaller holes around it then it is almost certainly a 2A tub. If the Tops of the Rear Wheel houses are 32" long on top then its a 3A tub.

This page shows all the differences between the two.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 8:03am
IMHO, You are about right on the value of this top. While it is mostly there, it will need quite a bit of work to make it usable.

As far as the tub, the only thing I can say is, while it may be form another Willys, it also may not be. There have been many manufacturers of replacement tubs for jeeps over the years. Most were made of steel, but I have seen both aluminium & fiberglass ones.

Good luck, Cpt Logger.
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 10:39am
you can measure the length of the rear wheel housing on the inside 3a is shorter b than a 2a
mogger7
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 12:43pm
That tub looks to be an MD Juan replacement tub. Those are based more on a 3a tub than anything else. Why MD Juan? They were the ONLY people making replacements. The top bow pockets on top of the wheel wells are missing. Finally, just an observation, the tub is too perfect to be a swap out, I just never see that.
Oops....had to really blow that picture up but I do see the interior bow pockets......oh well so much for my off the cuff, cursory opinion. If it is a replacement/repop tub its still MD Juan.....Wheel well measurements will tell for sure if its more 3a or 2a. Wait one! Does it say "JEEP" in script form on the front of the tool box?

Edited by damar2yxr - 23 Jan. 2020 at 1:39pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 1:29pm
Is the tunnel area of the front floorboard bolt in ( not just the shifter cover but the whole tunnel)?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
likeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 7:21pm
Thanks for all the replies, 

Based on all the information that everybody has given me and what I do know about the origins of the tub I came to the determination that it is an original 3A tub. The rear wheel houses are 32", it has the jeep script on the front of the toolbox and the toolbox has the lip with drainage hole, which I believe are all identifying factors of an original 3A tub. 
Does anybody have any idea what type of top this is, Koenig, sears, etc?

For anybody that's interested I will give a run down on whats been done to the CJ. This has been in my family since 53 and passed down from grandfather, father and then finally me.
The original tub and top were destroyed when it was hit by a drunk driver in the late 70's.
Father replaced the tub and got it back on the road.
Since I took it over after my father passing the following has been done.
Engine only requuired a fuel pump and water pump, otherwise all good.
I rebuilt the transfer case and T 90 Trans (both leaked badly and trans would not stay in 2nd gear). When i opened it up found rusted gears and other issues that had to be dealt with.
replaced clutch.
11" drums on all 4 corners.
Hours and hours of body work.
Painted in eastwood single stage poly OD green.
Inside of tub sprayed with OD bed liner
Installed modified 96 camaro tilt steering and herms ford reverse manual steering. Now has emergency flashers and self canceling turn signals.
modified front parking lights to turn signals.
Rewired entire jeep incorporating fusebox. 12 volt conversion with alternator
Replaced king pin bearings, knuckle seals etc.
Radiator checked and outlet moved to accept steering box modification.
Original seats and frames were disposed of by my father some years back. I built new frames to incorporate CJ 5 reproduction seats.
And probably a few other things that don't come to mind now.
Only thing left is to put the original 16" wheels back on after sandblast and paint wheels.

Its been a lot of work, modified in several areas so it not a true by the book restoration, but at least it stops on a dime and the wheels actually turn when the steering wheel is turned turned and no death wobble. 

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 1:49am
Sounds like you have a great jeep with family history, very cool.  
I don’t think the top is Koenig. 
Maybe a Boston top?
The door glass would have been slid up and down and a spring clip would catch in the three tabs in the middle of the door. 

After looking more I would say it’s a sears top

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 24 Jan. 2020 at 1:52am
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
likeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 4:59am
Flatender Ben is correct. I got more pics from the seller. One had the tag on it. Sears model # 7346111. he stated he paid $575 for it 3 years ago. I pointed out some of the issues that need to be addressed to the seller and got him down to $225. Looks like I've got another project on my hands.  This seems to be the never ending project.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 5:12am
Great job scoring the top. 
Keep us up dated on your progress. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:59am

I think I have the half cab version.
Micah

Up side down, but you get the idea how the window works.
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 1:28am
@likeg,

I have a Meyer Snowplow Co. top that looks like that, except that the door hinges are single piano hinges rather than the three smaller hinges. 

Is your windshield frame home made? 

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
likeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 5:42am
The windshield frame is original, but it needs to be replaced. It was damaged when the CJ was hit by a drunk driver back in the 70's. It has been heated and bent and bent and bent, but the contour is not correct.  I picked up the top today and held one of the doors up to check the alignment and the windshield angle is off by about 2". I figured this would be the case, but now its confirmed. I'm going to have to give up on the frame and try to find another or buy a reproduction. Their is no way this one will work with the top. Anybody got a frame they want to get rid of and ship to California?, or has anybody used a omix or MD Juan frame and had any luck with it fitting correctly?
Drove 5 hours round trip today to pick op the top. Needs some work, but it all there except for door glass.
da
 Post Reply Post Reply