Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Supplier Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 7:06am
The notion of having to carry Metric and AF in the same tool kit...
Try owning a YJ.. which also has Torx headed fasteners 
Even an XJ to some extent..
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
schoolbuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 2:49pm
I’d be wiling to sign my name to an appropriately framed Letter of Request for Action:  Purveyors of auto parts who are intentionally directing their advertising efforts toward a notably serious clientele of restoration enthusiasts should be accurately stating the contents and spec’s of their parts as to provide a fair opportunity for their customers to make an informed purchasing decision.

Schoolbuilder
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
DavidHolder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidHolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 5:02pm
Quarter ton Military in Chickamauga, Ga 
Superman in disguise.   
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 1:32pm
QTM is just an hour drive for me, and I go there pretty often. Good folks to deal with. 

I have bought a lot of my parts from QTM, and almost everything was top notch quality, with only a couple of minor exceptions. A windshield to cowl seal for a CJ5 was 3/4" too long and would require trimming and rebonding on both ends to fit. I got one from another supplier that fit perfectly. I bought new axle nuts for the rear axles and they were slightly over sized and would not fit my SAE socket, so probably metric, but I didn't bother with them, just used some old ones I had. Otherwise everything I have bought from them, and it has been a lot of parts, were right on target and top quality.

I have also bought plenty of parts from Walcks, and RFJP and never been disappointed by either. I have one of Walcks wiring harnesses for my CJ2A, it is very well made and I think as close to original as you can get. Wiring in these Jeeps is simple enough that I have made my own wiring harnesses in the past, but after getting this one from Walcks I won't waste the time again to make my own.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, I believe Walcks makes their own wiring harnesses "in-house."

I usually shop with Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts, unless its something they don't carry, or their out of. I recently ordered new hard lines for the breaking system, and I went through Walcks, but only because their website was very specific about which lines went to each cj2a based on the serial number. RFJP didn't have that amount of detail in their ad, and their shipping is not cheap, so I didn't want to buy something and then have to return it. 

The only place I try not to buy from is Kaiser Willys, as they sell alot of metric stuff made overseas (Omix-ADA) depending what you order the quality can be hit or miss. (Usually more miss than hit IMHO)

My list:

1. Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts
2. Walcks 4WD
3. Joe's Motor Pool
4. Army Jeep Parts

This is my list as well.  My project has taken a couple hundred new parts - small and large.  I have had lengthy phone conversations with Carl Walck, Ron Fitzpatrick, and George Baxter, and they are all great.  

What I have found is that on the CJ side, Carl is by far the most knowledgeable.  Every question I 've had came with a historical answer.  What year they switched to a different part or process, etc.

Not to take anything away from the others, since the parts are the same in most situations, but Carl actually makes (or has them made) a lot of his inventory.  Especially when it comes to unique steel pieces that are not profitable enough to be mass produced.  You can also see great descriptions of when and where the part should be used.  I always look for NoS or "our own reproduction" on Walck's site.  Army Jeep Parts is a great source for NoS, as is Peter Debella. 

I have a wiring harness from Carl and it is a close to perfect as you can get.  And it looks original.  The fact is, most of the other vendors are actually selling Carl's harnesses.  If you get the classic "hand written" instructions, you know it's a Walck's.

A cautionary note - stay away from Tonka Jeep for parts or projects.  There are many stories out there that you can find (including first-hand from me) where "they" did horrible restoration work, didn't refund money for returned defective (rusted to oblivion, or unusable) parts, or never sent the part at all and didn't refund the money.

Edited by jgodfrey - 27 July 2021 at 1:18pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 2:15pm
My 67 CJ5 has the front brake lines that run along the crossmember under the radiator with long hoses from frame brackets directly into the wheel cylinders. I have seen this set up on CJ3Bs, but not on all CJ5s. 

Most of the pre bent kits out there which other suppliers have listed for a 67 CJ5 are the ones with the front line on the axle going to short hoses and those little Z lines on the knuckles.

Walcks was the only place I could find the correct brake line kit for that Jeep, and it fit perfectly. 

Everything I have gotten from Walcks has been exactly what it should be.

My list is:

1) QTM - Good quality parts, knowledgeable people who are all good to deal with. Reason they are first on the list is they are close enough for me to drive down there, talk to them and see what I am buying.
2) Walcks - Knowledgeable people, good source for hard to find items which are top quality and reasonable price.
3) RFJP - Good quality parts, knowledgeable people. The only reason they are 3rd on the list is they sometimes do not carry the part I need.
4) Classic Military Vehicles - Small inventory, but everything I have gotten from Dan has been top notch quality, and he often has hard to find items.  
5) Ebay sellers - Where I look for NOS parts, and brake backing plates for the 11" conversions I have been doing.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 9:05am
Yea alot of my parts come from ebay sellers, usually like quarter ton or army jeep parts, fast shipping and they are super helpful to boots, I have bought from walcks and even got my witing kit from there, but I am very conscious about buying omix, I usually do it when it's not vital, like the tools on the side and such

QTM- cant say enough good about this seller on Ebay but always happy with what I recieve and its usually really fast

Edited by General Eisenhower - 28 July 2021 at 12:26pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123