Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Todays ROFLMAO at "Overlanders"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Todays ROFLMAO at "Overlanders"
    Posted: 03 Apr. 2020 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Sithinstructor Sithinstructor wrote:

Not very many good options for a Jerry can on the JL.

Yeah, if you put it on the side, you're making a wide vehicle W-I-D-E.  You have the front or the back as your width-limited-work-around spots and the front isn't the best idea.  The back is pretty much your default place.  I guess there's always the top...  Ouch
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sithinstructor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sithinstructor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 4:15am
I have a 4 Door JL Rubicon, and a 47 CJ2a... so I'm schrodinger's yuppie? I just like Jeeps, and the outdoors.

To the OP's point though, that's a nuts amount of money for 2 gallons. LOLYou're not wrong there. Looks cool though. I might do something similar but fab it myself. Not very many good options for a Jerry can on the JL.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:08am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

To DRM's point, Jeep Wrangler drives more than $1 billion in aftermarket sales.

It's funny to me that when I bought my YJ 31 years ago, it was hard to find much aftermarket stuff for it for a couple years.  Even when YJ accessories started coming to market there wasn't much that wasn't just useless appearance junk.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 11:17pm
To DRM's point, Jeep Wrangler drives more than $1 billion in aftermarket sales.

All kicked off back in the early post-WW2 era by companies like Warn, Koenig, Ramsey and other pioneers aimed at Willys vehicles.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 8:19pm
I worked at Chrysler and still drive new Wranglers often at work and they are huge. 4 doors are longer and wider than my wife's '05 Grand Cherokee. I'd be willing to bet that there are more aftermarket gadgets and gizmos made for newer Wranglers than for any other vehicle made. It's crazy how many Wranglers FCA sells that end up with another $10K of accessories piled on. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 7:21pm
That one is definitely a "glamping" rig.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 10:13pm
The curve fits the trunk. Why not the rear window and the curve of the top? I'll be that car (Plymouth?) would lean like crazy going around curves.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 9:25pm
But look how well it fits!!......Definately not a Bubba job.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Would this be "Overlanding" or 'trunk camping' ?? LOL

... or just "wrong"
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 3:19pm

Yes!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 2:03pm

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2020 at 4:35am

The colorization was part of the appeal to me...

Off topic, but have you seen They Shall Not Grow Old, the WWI movie that's made of original movie footage colorized and speed-corrected? 
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 8:26pm
i guess im a yuppie then, im bulding my 47 w/hardtop for overlanding.

roof basket rack with solor panel wired to a solor controller under the back seat for extra lighting and 12volt plug ins. 

some hella brand lights on the roof also. 
a kings brand roof top canopy that extends out to have some nice shade  

also making a drawer setup for the rear that pulls out into a flat space for a camp stove. 

might even add heated front seats for winter weather not sure on that yet. 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 4:24pm
The colorization was part of the appeal to me.....I like it, but just one man's opinion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 4:09pm
Great pic (though colorized), thanks for sharing Roc. The popularity of the Ford Model T, which in the 1920s represented about half of all car sales worldwide, drove an enormous aftermarket that was similar to what Jeep Wrangler drives today. Period magazines were full of T-accessory ads of all types. The camper conversions were quite popular. I think the difference between that period and the "Overlanding" thing today is there is so much excess today. Why put 22-in wheels on your Wrangler when 30's make it more like a monster truck? Why bolt on two additional lights when six will make the vehicle resemble a Paris-to-Dakar race truck? Why repower with a measly 4.3-L V6 when a blown big-block V8 makes more power (and noise)?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 3:38pm
Great picture. A great film to watch is “Paving the way”. “The national park to park highway”. Driving and camping in 1920.  Amazing
Mike in AZ
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 2:31pm
Just had to share this one...thought it was a cool photo..Approve

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 4:15am

Yes exactly.....it's all about 'mine has this and yours doesnt'.

So it's a capstan? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>