Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Todays ROFLMAO at "Overlanders"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Todays ROFLMAO at "Overlanders"
    Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 6:01pm
So this came up on Facebook page I am on that deals with Overlanding (yuppie camping in overly expensive rigs with stupid expensive crap.

SO here is what I added to the conversation

$540+ $119 (lock) + $80 for 2 gallons of fuel or water = ROFLAMO $739 to haul 2 frecking gallons of gasoline or water? I'm sorry but that's insane. And I assume the majority of people who would spend $739 to carry 2 gallons of fuel would also be the same kind of people who would have someone else install this in their rig so add what another $200-$300 and we are talking about $500 a gallon.

A real Wavian NATO Gas can is $80 for 20 L or 5.25 US gallons the mount is $40 to $60 depending on if you want locking and what style.

A Used Jeep Can 5 gallon is $5.00 to $20 at a yard sale the mount NEW is $60.00

Edited by Mark W. - 10 Feb. 2020 at 6:07pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 12:17am
Just the term "overlanding" bugs me.  At least in it's common usage.  Not so long ago people went camping.  Sometimes it was hiking in to go back country camping, or maybe it was in a camper in a camp ground, or anywhere in between.  And "car camping" was pretty much in the middle, especially if you weren't doing it in an established campground.

Then some people decide to get really serious with their car camping and would spend a month in Baja, or cross the Gobi desert, or drive around the world.  They need a different word for living out of your vehicle for months at a time, and I'm fine with "overlanding" applying to that.

But now people go "overlanding" for a weekend!  I'm sorry, that's car camping.  Nothing wrong with car camping, just don't make it sound like you're crossing the Gobi desert.  I'll reluctantly allow the use of "overlanding" if it's only 2 weeks (a month minimum would be better).  But anything less than 2 weeks is car camping.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 2:13am
I guess if you can buy a 50,000 dollar vehicle to drive in the back country then 500 for a gallon of water might make sense to you. I'll never understand it but I'm just a regular schlepp. I know guy who has one of those Chevy Canyons(?) with the diesel in it. He glued about grand worth of LED lighting all over it because he wants to drive across the country. Whatever dude. My dad did it with 2 6V headlights to light the way. I guess it's all relative. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 4:18am
  Are these some of those folks Mark? 

I watched this because I wanted to see the Black Bear again, and see how they handled it. I'm glad I did it in a CJ2-A, not a big ol' hog like those Wranglers. I only had to back up on two switchbacks. And the CJ2-A can carry everything I need for an overnighter, or several nights. 

I had my doubts about this guy right from the start, when he said they went West from Moab to get to Ouray, (he said it You-ray. It's obvious there's a "Y" on the back end, but none on the front) Colorado. And then he kept talking about Ophir (he pronounced it Oh-feer) pass. Maybe we natives don't always pronounce the names of places in Colorado (or the state itself) the way that some outsiders think they should be said, but as long as I've been in the state Ophir has been Oh-fer.

I didn't mean for this post to turn into a rant, so, sorry, I'll sign off now.

Bruce W in Call-o-rAdo, not Call-o-rAHdo.  LOL
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 4:24am
Overlanders...

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 4:31am
I don’t get the tent on the roof thing. Seems to me it works against the whole keeping the center of gravity low thing. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 1:05pm
Would I drop that much on so little?  Probably not.  The bigger question is why would anyone care?  A free market will determine its fate, up or down.

I know this is in "Off Topic", but I gotta say this is insidious.  Don't hyper focus on the expensive tiny water jug... back off 3000ft and just see folks enjoying the same thing in a different way.  They'll think you nuts for relining a 50 year old tin can, but they'll have your back when it comes time to holler about potential trail closings.

Just sayin. 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

I guess if you can buy a 50,000 dollar vehicle to drive in the back country .... I'll never understand it .... 

I do get that (not that I'd do it, but that's not about the money...).  I've built my trail vehicles, and quite honestly, they aren't as reliable as newer vehicles.  Not to say that they've ever stranded me, but that's more a function of them being simple to repair and I'm familiar with them so I'm able to repair them.

My younger son is also into 'wheeling.  He can drive my Bronco (with me spotting) over things I can't drive it over.  And now he's getting to be a good enough spotter that I can drive over some of the hardest parts too!  But he's not a mechanical engineer like I am, he's a finance guy.  He wants to get his own trail vehicle, but he doesn't want to have a project vehicle like I have.  In fact, he's even reluctant to borrow my Bronco if I'm not along (I'd let him take it).  So he wants to get a JL Wrangler Rubicon for his daily driver and trail vehicle.

Would I do that?  No.  New vehicles are too complicated for me to feel good about them.  Yes I just argued that they're more reliable, things don't go wrong nearly as often.  But when something does go wrong you are more screwed.  Plus I like the project aspect of my trail vehicles.  That's who I am.  But it's not who my son is.

Still, if he does get his JL and go off-grid for a week or two he'll be camping, not overlanding Wink
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 2:44pm
I get the old trail Jeep coolness, but I also get the $80,000 Overlander with the tent on the roof.  Tents are the cheap part of these rigs.  $1,500 to $3,000 for a tent - seems nuts to a CJ2A guy with $6,000 in a complete small format Jeep.  But for a Yuppie making big bucks between the ages of 40 and 70 - who can have a shop put together an Overlander for a 2 week trip into the backcountry with a few friends every year - might not be so extravagant.  They just want to go - not wrench and troubleshoot and fink with the vehicle.

Just wondering how those tents are in a real storm.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Overlanders...

Chad  - That's the deluxe model with the washer/dryer option!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Overlanders...

Chad  - That's the deluxe model with the washer/dryer option!

Yup 👍 that’s so you can wash out your shorts when things go wrong on the switchbacks on Black Bear 😮

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 10:59pm
Original Overlander? On display at the Auto Mart in Morgantown, PA.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 11:07pm
Oh man....I LOVE that thing!
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 12:27am
Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Samuel Clemens all did what these guys are now calling Overlanding. There are movies of them taking model T's and wagons and trucking across the USA.  
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 12:45am
Mark, don't take this the wrong way because I admire the work you are doing on your rig. I just guessing the groups that would spend that kind of money on things you or I would make, think you're nuts for putting the time, energy and money into what you are building. Everyone has their wants and needs, as they say to each their own.
Glen
49 CJ3A
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Mark, don't take this the wrong way because I admire the work you are doing on your rig. I just guessing the groups that would spend that kind of money on things you or I would make, think you're nuts for putting the time, energy and money into what you are building. Everyone has their wants and needs, as they say to each their own.

Well said, Glenn!

As usual, I just do things my own way. They can hang whatever name they want to hang on it!LOL

Edited by gmcjr - 12 Feb. 2020 at 1:04am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 3:38am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Would I drop that much on so little?  Probably not.  The bigger question is why would anyone care?  A free market will determine its fate, up or down.

I know this is in "Off Topic", but I gotta say this is insidious.  Don't hyper focus on the expensive tiny water jug... back off 3000ft and just see folks enjoying the same thing in a different way.  They'll think you nuts for relining a 50 year old tin can, but they'll have your back when it comes time to holler about potential trail closings.

Just sayin. 

Excellent point of view. Thanks for pulling me back in and you are absolutely correct and wise for recognizing it.

I need to work on this part of my head. I've kinda struggled all my life so I have developed an opinion that isn't always right or good or fair. Trying to fix it. carry on.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I had my doubts about this guy right from the start, when he said they went West from Moab to get to Ouray, (he said it You-ray. It's obvious there's a "Y" on the back end, but none on the front) Colorado. And then he kept talking about Ophir (he pronounced it Oh-feer) pass. Maybe we natives don't always pronounce the names of places in Colorado (or the state itself) the way that some outsiders think they should be said, but as long as I've been in the state Ophir has been Oh-fer.

I didn't mean for this post to turn into a rant, so, sorry, I'll sign off now.

Bruce W in Call-o-rAdo, not Call-o-rAHdo.  LOL

Couldn’t help myself from commenting, but finally someone to agree with me!  When I lived in Durango as a kid, and all my life before and since, me and the “Natives” called it “oo-ray”.  I think the yuppies must have started trying to rename it a while backConfused.  Ennyhoo, I still love to visit Khalla-redda!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>