Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Todays ROFLMAO at "Overlanders"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Couldn’t help myself from commenting, but finally someone to agree with me!  When I lived in Durango as a kid, and all my life before and since, me and the “Natives” called it “oo-ray”.  I think the yuppies must have started trying to rename it a while backConfused.  Ennyhoo, I still love to visit Khalla-redda!

You guys help a flatlander on the east coast with a Bahstin accent... im-ah-gene, or I'm-o-gene? LOL

Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

Excellent point of view. Thanks for pulling me back in and you are absolutely correct and wise for recognizing it.

I appreciate the sentiment, but certainly more battle scarred than wise.  In a previous lifetime I have been a moderator on a couple hunting and fishing forums, and a member on numerous others...a member in firearms and archery forums and ATVs as well.   The constant din between the various special interests was numbing.  BATTLES over baiting and high fence, antler restrictions vs. meat hunters, fly vs. bait, longbow vs. compound, fudds that don't give a hoot about the second as long as they can shoot some stocked pheasants on saturday morning vs. full auto...it goes on and on... All while large tracts of land were posted, or the state gave them over to dog walkers and horseback riders, Outboard motor restrictions and outright waterway closures... Owning an ATV in MA is an expensive joke...ask me how long my "lifetime" firearms card was good for... and the violins played while Rome burned (or the band played on while Titanic sank, your choice).

I'm only suggesting that it's short sighted to worry too much about "yuppies", or how expensive, or whether it's excessive or unnecessary, or camping vs. overlanding vs. walkabout...(or stock vs.  restomod vs. tribute)  eventually you'll need a permit, then the permits will be overpriced, then unavailable to even the $80,000 rig with the extra 2 gallons of water same as the shoe string trail rig build with the relined NATO can.  So long as the tiny yet overpriced yuppy window can doesn't affect me directly, I'm good...your jeep your rules, and I really enjoyed watching some of the reasonably well done "TrailRecon" videos beyond the link BW provided... 

...and the band played on (or "lighten up, Francis"... your choice)

Edited by mbullism - 12 Feb. 2020 at 12:42pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 3:36pm
I agree with mbullism. Have watched other TrailRecon videos. And other YouTube posters. You get to see country and places you might not be able to visit and see yourself. But you get “facts” that might not be true. Still fun to see the scenery
Mike in AZ
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 2:20am
Fortunately, there are a lot of places those big rigs just can not go to, tent or not.  And I still like to put the pack on at the end of a lot of Jeep trails and go even further.  But at 75, those days are likely limited.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 2:43am
The thing I have to wonder about is, why the 4-door Wrangler with hardtop and full hard doors?  It's soooooooo much bigger than even a CJ-5 or a YJ or a TJ.  A 4-door JK with hardtop weighs 1,000 lbs. more than my YJ, which weighs almost 1,000 lbs. more than my 2A!  A JK/JL with full hard doors and hardtop is just an XJ with a different grille.  If you're not going to take advantage of the removable top why not just get something without a removable top? 

Of course I have heard that the 4-doors have a 70% take rate, but I don't know what those buyers think they're getting when they buy them.  A "jeep" is supposed to be a small vehicle, isn't it?  Even a 2-door JK/JL is way bigger than a 2A.

Interestingly, I saw a 4-door JK with half doors out on the street the other day.  I didn't know that anyone had actually gotten one of those.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 2:54am
4-door Wranglers are excessive. Rooftop tents are plain dangerous. The older I get, the more I hear the call of my bladder at 2am. Step outside your tent to take a leak and fall off the roof of your vehicle. Why does any of this make sense? "Overlanding," yeah right.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 7:53am
I'm not fond of the rooftop tent idea either.  Not only answering the call at 0200, but you definitely need to account for possible unevenness of the ground on which you park. If the ground's not level, you're not sleeping level and that could be an issue.  What if you roll over in the night to the low side?  Will you fall off your roof?  There are other possibilities too, which I will leave to the imagination...  Smile

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 17 Feb. 2020 at 7:59am
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 10:53am
Guess I'm a weirdo. I like the overlanding thing. Will I likely ever do it - no. But I like seeing the innovative set ups some of these guys come up with. Some really neat ideas - whether compact cooking set ups, refrigeration, awning and such - I find it cool. 

Having owned a JK 4 door, they are pretty capable out of the box. Are the a 2A, well no. But if you want relative comfort and the ability to carry 5 people, it's a good choice. The tops are easy to manipulate. you can be cruising top down in under 5 minutes. I think a lot of the overland guys pick a JK/JL because of solid axles, available lockers, available 4:1 t-case from the factory. You can't get that elsewhere. You see an equally amount of guys going for the 4Runner/Tacoma platform as Toyota offers some legit off road packages, albeit with an IFS. 

Anyway.....I think the innovation in these builds is cool. Do these guys even use them as intended - probably not. But does a high end hot rod guy drive his car every day - probably not. They are cool to look at and these builds keep the aftermarket busy creating new parts for other segments of the off road community. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 1:43pm
Really just another situation where 'if you don't want to do it, don't and if you'd like to try it then do' isn't it?

I don't care anything about jumping out of a perfectly good running airplane and plummeting toward earth either but people do it every day.......and love it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2020 at 4:38pm
Interesting thread. I'm for anything (within reason) that keeps our sport going. We live in a culture that periodically "renames" things. Surveys are now "focus groups", those who were once janitors are now "custodial engineers", what was once "family camping in the family station wagon" are to a point now "Overlanders". 
Yes Overlanders probably go places the old Vista Cruiser couldn't go but the idea of getting away from it all still thrives. Sounds good. 
It has created quite a cottage industry to boot. Remember every time you see a (mostly) young guy beside you in his or her $$$$ Jeep with all the gear on top and sides, and you silently shake your head, they're doing the same thing to the old flatty that you are in. Quid Pro Quo. 
In retrospect, as a child my brother and sister and me slept in the trunk of a 54 Mercury in South Dakota and Colorado. A few years later it was 58 Ford. Bigger kids, bigger trunk. 
Perhaps we were trend setters. 

C u n the dirt (or some where overland)

Fuzz
Fuzz
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 1:48am
Actually the thread started out about how silly spending something like $740.00 to carry 2 gallons of fuel.

Edited by Mark W. - 18 Feb. 2020 at 1:50am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 2:01am
Yes, that kinda money to carry that little fuel is crazy.  But someone who will spend that will spend multiples of that for some other gadget that turns out to be no more than a status symbol.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

......some other gadget that turns out to be no more than a status symbol.

Yes exactly.....it's all about 'mine has this and yours doesnt'.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 4:15am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Yes exactly.....it's all about 'mine has this and yours doesnt'.

So it's a capstan? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 2:31pm
Just had to share this one...thought it was a cool photo..Approve

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 3:38pm
Great picture. A great film to watch is “Paving the way”. “The national park to park highway”. Driving and camping in 1920.  Amazing
Mike in AZ
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 4:09pm
Great pic (though colorized), thanks for sharing Roc. The popularity of the Ford Model T, which in the 1920s represented about half of all car sales worldwide, drove an enormous aftermarket that was similar to what Jeep Wrangler drives today. Period magazines were full of T-accessory ads of all types. The camper conversions were quite popular. I think the difference between that period and the "Overlanding" thing today is there is so much excess today. Why put 22-in wheels on your Wrangler when 30's make it more like a monster truck? Why bolt on two additional lights when six will make the vehicle resemble a Paris-to-Dakar race truck? Why repower with a measly 4.3-L V6 when a blown big-block V8 makes more power (and noise)?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 4:24pm
The colorization was part of the appeal to me.....I like it, but just one man's opinion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 8:26pm
i guess im a yuppie then, im bulding my 47 w/hardtop for overlanding.

roof basket rack with solor panel wired to a solor controller under the back seat for extra lighting and 12volt plug ins. 

some hella brand lights on the roof also. 
a kings brand roof top canopy that extends out to have some nice shade  

also making a drawer setup for the rear that pulls out into a flat space for a camp stove. 

might even add heated front seats for winter weather not sure on that yet. 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>