Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Massachusetts Registration Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Massachusetts Registration Question
    Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 3:39am
Hi,

Though I'm a long ways from registering my vehicle, I thought I'd toss this question out now.

Specifically, I'm curious about how Massachusetts deals with the VIN. The VIN on my title matches the serial number on my engine (CJ - 2A 12194-B), but the original plate on the chassis is 11662.

My question is when I go to register the vehicle in Massachusetts, will they simply go off the engine number, or will I also need to have a tag somewhere on the body that matches what's on the title? If the latter, for the purposes of the inspection, I'm considering having a plate made for the firewall that has the same VIN as the block. Once the vehicle is registered, I'd then change that one out for a second plate with the correct 11662.

Anyone from Massachusetts have experience in this area they care to share?

Thanks,

John
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 6:47am
Obviously, I am not from Massachusetts, nor have I ever dealt with their Department of Motor Vehicles, (DMV).

Asking that question on this site is a good idea. If no one here can help you, try this; the best way to get answers to this kind of question is to call the DMV up. If you can figure out who the most helpful clerk with the most experience is, ask for them by name. Then ask them about these kinds of questions. If you do not have any idea as to who this would be, try asking some folks from your local antique car club. I guarantee that at least one of them has dealt with this issue before.

You may have to call many offices in different cities to find this clerk. For example, one of my cousins was this clerk in a small town in Oregon. He told me many stories about helping folks find ways to get titles for their old rigs. They would come from all over the state just to work with him. They would call him up & figure out what they needed & then if their local clerks were unable or unwilling to help them out, he had them come to his small office. He also figured out a "Back Door" way to create a title history for any vehicle over 25 years old. Oregon does not have this service. 

These days, if you are fairly good with searching data bases, you might not need to find a helpful older clerk.

Also IME, In several states here, "Out West", the DMVs are familiar with their own historic use of engine serial numbers for the VIN used on the titles. They are aware that many  engines have been swapped out in the years since the engines serial number was used as a vehicle serial number. I once had a State Trooper tell me after neither of us could find a serial number on an old Nash that I had, if I could "find" a stamped number matching my Nash's serial number on a flat machined area of my V6 that was in the engine bay, he would certify it. He even mentioned that NAPA had a sale on their stamp sets that week. We "found" that number the next time he was by. My son still has that stamp set, I used it today to put a serial number on a boat trailer that we are building for him. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 10:21am
Formerly from MA. 

You need nothing but paper to register the Jeep. If you have a clean title, you can get plates and reg without issue. 

The issue will come at inspection time. Some stations are more thorough than others. But technically they are required to verify the VIN. I would make a matching body tag, if in your shoes. 

Be aware - MA will tax you 6.25 percent on book value. Yep. So they will use classic car restored value and whack you good. So be prepared for that. If I recalled correctly they wanted to tax me on a valuation of $9500. 

It may not be a bad idea to go apply for title only. If your purchase date is listed on the current title and well in the past, you could be subject to additional fees. So it's not a bad idea to just get your MA title now if you can. Then registration is simple when you are ready. 

MA is run by thieves. I moved 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 11:31am
Thanks for your input. All good info.

John
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

It may not be a bad idea to go apply for title only. .. get your MA title now if you can. Then registration is simple when you are ready. 

MA IS run by thieves.

In the future I will be formerly from MA as well Confused  

The MA RMV doesn't like mysteries...or puzzles..or hassles.  They like paperwork that matches and they love checking boxes.  They'd rather send you away than make a mistake they have to answer for, IMO.  If you have a title signed over to you I would apply for just a title as well, using the Engine number on your paperwork.  Get the jeep in your name first and asap.  Pay the $75 title app fee and the sales tax (unavoidable anyway).  It'll be easy cuz the paper matches and it won't take any brain cells on the clerks part.  Keep copies of everything, as they will collect the old title, etc.  From here you have two choices (The obvious potential snag would be that someone in the past titled a different jeep with your missing VIN tag)

1)  Get a repop tag and stamp the engine number on it and rivet it to firewall or dash as appropriate.  Register the jeep with this number and go on with your life, or

2) With new title in hand apply for a corrected title (yes, $$$) explaining you have need of an engine replacement and don't want any problems with the overlord come inspection sticker time.  It will require a vin inspection of the frame tag and a verification of the Engine number matching the title in your name, but they will find it more palatable because it's already in your name and you are asking to conform.  If the VIN comes back to a different jeep hopefully it doesn't show as stolen, lol, but more likely your just stuck with #1 above at worst.  

You need to treat the MA RMV like a baby deer... you can't just run in screaming outdated, out of state title in someone else's name with number issues. 

IANAL/YMMV 

Edited by mbullism - 12 Feb. 2020 at 11:41am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the input.

On the plus side, the title is already in my name, just in my last state of residence, DC. At some point I'll shift it over to a Mass. title. I'm hoping to bring the vehicle back this summer. One of the first orders of business will be to pull the engine and determine if what I suspect is a crack under the distributor can be stitched and also if there are any other issues that would prevent me from using that block. On the assumption it can be rebuilt, I'll probably get a tag made for the firewall that matches the engine block and get the vehicle titled and registered in Mass. When I get into the actual full-on restoration, I might replace that tag with another reproduction bearing the correct chassis number. If I ever sell the vehicle, I'll give the new owner the tag that matches the engine number so he/she has the option to do what I did.

Again, thanks for all the input. Great advice.

John
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 12:38am
If you go to the YouTube channel of Greendot 319 and see a post from 3 months ago where he shows the cost of machining his engine. Had a big hole in the side of his block that they laser welded.  Pretty impressive
Mike in AZ
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 1:21pm
as said,  registry will be walk in the park with your title,  they are like an monkeys on a assembly line, give them what they are use to and normal and you will walk out of there in 1-2 hours...LOL, just normal wait times...LOL   Change it up, and all hell breaks loose,   but you will fail the inspection and trigger  flag a at the registry if your reg and vin tag dont match.  they physically take pictures of the vehicles all vehicles including the tag of an older vehicle, that does not have a bar code to scan.

As mike said, no brainier, get a repo tag and stamp whatever number is on the title you have and enjoy life

using the number on the tag, it will be considered untitled, and you do not want to try to get a title for it, its a PITA,  i have done it twice, it was so hard last time, dont know if it could even be done now
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 4:54pm
I'd definitely defer to Paul's experience... Unless you're doing some museum resto I'd just go with my #1 above.  Paul makes a good point about annual (Wacko) inspections, and them possibly considering your jeep untitled if you try and "correct" it... 

Easiest is best-

(pm inbound)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 9:12am
Damn state employees.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 1:36pm
And honorable mention... In neighboring RI they don't care about cars older than 10 years. You only need a piece of paper showing that it was registered before. 
What they really care about is that you pay your taxes within a couple weeks of moving to the state or buying the jeep. 
I have had a CJ in Wyoming for a bunch of years and tried to register it here in RI. They wanted to charge me back taxes and penalties for the past 10 years that I had it at camp in Wyoming.

Be sure you have some type of paper trail showing that you were not owing years worth of back taxes. 

Post Reply Post Reply