Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

positive camber issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 7:13am
Adjusting the wheel stop may help but the adjustment would have to be on the left side to limit turning ability to keep the right tire from rubbing on the right spring? Sounds about right to me. When in full turn left the right side rubs the spring, the left side doesn’t rub at all. I would think the left would rub on the frame, but it doesn’t 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by likeg likeg wrote:

Adjusting the wheel stop may help but the adjustment would have to be on the left side to limit turning ability to keep the right tire from rubbing on the right spring? Sounds about right to me. When in full turn left the right side rubs the spring, the left side doesn’t rub at all. I would think the left would rub on the frame, but it doesn’t 

This may be due to the block on the right side. You've lowered the spring in relation to the axle center line on the right side. This puts the spring closer to the meat of the tire as it turns. Don't know if I'm explaining it well. But my guess is that is where your issue is. 

As said, Would just adjust the steering stop out a tad and call it done. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
likeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 7:11pm
The wheel stops are about 3/4 to 1 inch from being engaged in full left or right turn as they are set now. I may need to install longer bolts on the stops. that will keep the tire from rubbing the spring, but I hate to reduce the turning radius. Still its better than tearing up the tire or the spring. I plan on reducing the height on the block by a 1/2 inch also to see if that makes a difference.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 7:25pm
Getting your wheel stops set up is a good idea. 
My 7.00 x 16 NDTs have been rubbing on the springs at full turn forever. No real ill effects except for a shiny spot on the spring.
I probably should adjust my stops some day but I probably won't.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:11am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I probably should adjust my stops some day but I probably won't.

Especially when just tightening the bolts holding the grease seal on the knuckle can change the angle of steering...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 4:25am
Originally posted by squidtone squidtone wrote:

Camber is published in the Universal Service manual to be 1.5 degrees for all CJ models (4wd). This equates to the top of the wheel overhanging the bottom by about 3/4 of an inch. Your right angle square shows that's just about what you have. I'd say everything is normal.
Nice Jeep!

So glad I came into this thread,  I have always been concerned that the D30 axle I swapped into my '2A had too much camber . . .   but this shows it is normal. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12