Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Friend in High Places

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Friend in High Places
    Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 4:02am
The post today from 19Cargo42 about the requirements of licensing his Jeep in MA reminded me of my small Colorado fiasco a few years ago.

After retiring in Cincinnati, we moved to be near the kids and grandkids in Colorado. I wanted to keep my same vanity plates "IMA492A" that I had in Ohio for nearly 20 years. Colorado is a bit sticky on licensing new vehicles to the state with a few hoops to jump through.  I learned I had to apply and receive Collector Plates before I could apply for Collector Vanity Plates (CVPs). So the process started. Collector plates have a five year tag so the fee was around $230.00. When those plates arrive, you take them to the DVM along with the app for the CVPs.  The CVPs have a 3-5 month turnaround time, or so the material said, so the wait began.

I was pleasantly surprised when I received notice about six weeks later that my CVPs had arrived and were ready for pick up at the DMV. I drove my Jeep to the county offices and with screwdriver in hand, removed the plates and took them to the counter.  The clerk brought out my new plates for inspection. They were exactly what I had been waiting for. I gave her my Collector Plates and took the CVPs from the counter and started walking away. She grabbed the plates from me and said, "Not so fast! That will be $275.00 please!" I explained I had already paid for the five year tag. She explained to me that since it had been more than 30 days since I had picked up my Collector Plates, that money could not be refunded or applied to the new CVPs. I kept my cool and calmly asked that she go get her supervisor. Long story short, the supervisor confirmed the first clerk, in spite of my protests and explanation that it was not my fault the state took so long to make the CVPs. I was informed that the law required them to keep my CVPs on the shelf for 12 months in case I changed my mind.  I left them on the counter, went to the parking lot and put my Collector Plates back on for the ride home.

When I got home, I called the state DMV offices and got someone on the phone who would listen to my story. That person also confirmed the county office clerk's assessment. I was told there was not a lot of call for CVPs and there was a glitch in the law that resulted in my problem. The person in the state office suggested I contact my state representative to see if he might get the law changed the next time the legislature met.  Frustrated, I hung up. 

I then thought to myself, I did not go all the way to the top at the county level. The county clerk is responsible for the DMV offices around the county.  I composed an email to the county clerk explaining my dilemma. Within minutes, I received a reply that read, "Was that your green Jeep in the parking lot this morning? I was looking out my third floor office window and saw you out there messing with the license plates. We had a '47 2A when I was kid! Great memories! Come back in the morning and I will take care of you." The next morning I went bak to the DMV and exchanged my Collector Plates for my "IMA492A" plates thanks to the Adams County Clerk who loved 2As. It always pays to know people I high places.

Bruce
1949 2A
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 5:04am
What a great story. Glad it has a happy ending
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 7:19am
I know what you mean I got my commercial Drivers license through a third party examiner when I started driving school bus. A class B license when I started driving trucks a three years later I could only drive singles and the boss said if I upgraded to a Class A he would give me a couple more bucks an hour. So I drove one of our truck and trailer rigs around the Yard a few times and off I went to DMV.

Turns out the Young to give me the drive test was the cousin of one of the guys I was friends with and was on the wrestling squad with in Hi school. she was a couple years younger. And completely unknown to me had a crush on me. Well lets just say the test did not go like I expected. We spent the whole time talking about high school and she almost forgot to have me do the back up part of the test! Needless to say I passed.

She has since gone on to manage one of the satellite offices and I always get good service there LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 1:04pm
Fun stories and nice to hear the positive side of things.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 2:57pm
Great story Calndrman.  I'll have to remember this if I decide to get specialty collectors plates for the Blue Mule.  I just hope my county clerk likes Jeeps as much as yours does. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 8:26pm
I'll give a shout out to the Coos Bay DMV, possibly for the same reason.  It was easy to get collector plates on the spot and they were happy to correct the title on my MB.  It was titled long ago in Montana as a '41 Ford GPW.  My dad and I both tried to correct it (43 MB) at different times in MT and I later tried again in Ohio but NOOOO.

Oregon did it on the spot, based only on my silver tongue and general good cheer.  No documentation needed.  I couldn't believe it.

I think the guy spent about 10 seconds checking the VIN and then another 10 minutes talking about how fun jeeps are.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply