Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 shift tower rail plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 shift tower rail plugs
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 2:10am
hi all

i finally found the correct size freeze plugs for the front and back of the shift tower..... but i think the previous owner put a shift rail in backwards or something because it keeps popping the right rear plug out.

the shift rail goes all the way back-flush with the end of the shift rail tunnel... that cant be right, right?

any input greatly appreciated
thanks!
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 2:28am
Tell us a little more information. Are both having the same issue?  Have you had your rails out? 

I just put one back together yesterday. From memory you should have something like 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance to the plug from the back of the rail. I don’t think a rail in backwards would function at all, there are three places for the popit  balls at the end that the plugs go in and only one on the other end. 

Could you have a fork on backwards? This is a pic I took before I went through mine, might help. 

Mike

Edit. The plugs do not fit flush with the case, they protrude past the case. If your driving them in flush that could be an issue. 

Edited by RSR_MK - 19 Feb. 2020 at 2:32am
47-old-red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 2:42am
at 38:24 in this vid you see the rear plugs going in
i used freeze plugs though.... so they go in about half an inch.

the problem i am having is that the right side (the empty one in the video at that moment)
the shift rail goes back far enough to push the plug out... but it drives and shifts great so im not sure if the forks are backwards or anything....
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:30am
Ok, popped the plug out on my tower. With the rail extended towards the plug it’s flush with the housing. 

I’m not sure what folks are using to replace a missing plug but you will not have any clearance on the second/ third rail. See pic with plug removed. 

Mike
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:37am
1/2" copper plumbing caps fit perfectly.  I use them on the front after trimming the height a bit. For the rear I drilled, tapped and mounted a plate.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:48am
Nice work. As you can see, I don’t put in as much time cleaning as I should. I’m glad there are some out there that do though. Spending an hour cleaning my tranny case with the powerwasher in 30 degree weather was about all I wanted. 

Thanks for a great solution.  

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 6:06am
ok i did more research and apparently everyone has this problem
maybe they never came with rear plugs? there is no vent on this transmission..... i dont think anything on the jeep has a vent tbh

how did you drill and tap the ends? id be really nervous about doing that....

i tried RTVing and JB WELDing a plate there to seal the rear holes.... but the air pocket of shifting flush always popped it off

Edited by 47-old-red - 20 Feb. 2020 at 6:09am
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 2:45pm
This thread has lots of info about how people have handled the leaky shift tower. One thing that some do is to pull the rails out and grind a little flat onto the round. That makes a space so that gear oil is not compressed and forced out the end.  See the thread for more details.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2020 at 5:32pm
thanks
just posted there
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2020 at 9:18pm
I used a plate at the rear like in Tim's (Athawk) post above, plus drilled holes on the under side (inside the case) of the channels so lube would go back into the case and not cause  hydraulic  pressure against the blocking plate. 
BOULDER 48 2A
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2020 at 1:25am
When I took mine apart, it didn't have any plugs in the rear holes.  Just the two in the front.  This is what the parts manual shows as well.  Am I missing something?  Also, I have a small aluminum bracket that seems to ensure the front caps remain in place (not shown in the parts manual).  You can see it just in front of the shift tower, uses the two front bolts to mount in place.

Edited by Hamhog - 07 June 2020 at 1:27am
Dave
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2020 at 1:59am
X2 - not sure if mine is original set up, but I have 2 "factory" plugs in the front (no extra bracket) and no plugs in the rear. My 2A is an early 47 but no idea if shift tower is original to the jeep - it could be.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2020 at 2:57am
Here are a couple pictures of the bracket.  Now that I look at it, it looks homemade.  I can see tool marks in it where it was cut with a hacksaw maybe.

Dave
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:01pm
The plugs tend to be pushed out by hydraulic force with shifting. The bracket holds them in (home made part). The open end will leak, but the rails will push out plugs so I and others tap a hole between the rails and install a metal plate with sealant. Also I drilled some drain holes in the front facing rails from the inside to stop the hydraulic pressure that blows the plugs out.
BOULDER 48 2A
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 12:06am
But if your Jeep doesn't leak, what will preserve it for the next generation? I'm going no plugs on the rear for posterity's sake. LOL
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply