Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

28th Annual Spring Willys Reunion - CANCELLED - Event Date: 20 June 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 4:30pm
I am totally supportive of whatever you gents want to do but "nice little drive after dinner on Friday?"  takes me back to last year's nice little drive after dinner - which resulted in Willys vehicles strewn all over the area in the dark.  How about a nice little drive to an ice cream shop or cruise in spot within 10 minutes of the hotel complex and a drive to some far off park for sightseeing Friday afternoon in the daylight?  

For Thursday - the unmaintained county roads east of Tar Hollow State Park are always an option but they are 3 hours away.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Thisoldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisoldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 5:32pm
Not to be defensive since I “led” the convoy last year, but nobody’s ever said heading cats was easy. Further complicated by no functioning CB radios and blind sheep following the other guy taking a wrong turn.

Obviously we are trying to do better and want everyone to roll, so this year I will have a set marked course 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

I think Nelsons Ledges would be a nice little drive after dinner on Friday? Maybe drive over, optional hike for a while, drive back? I think that would be very cool. If you'd like to lead that PM me and we can make up some maps or something for people who want to go along.

Bob

If there is enough interest in a ledges trip,  I would be happy to lead it.   I think the route would be somewhat "convoy friendly" . .  not a lot of lights, turns etc.    Hardest part might be trying to stay together when exiting left out of the Bertram. LOL   and maybe at the traffic light on Rt82  . . .  Would there be a big parking lot down the road where could wait for entire group to catch up?   After that,  I think it would be fairly easy to stay together,  basically head straight east on Rt82/305.  (with another left at end).

Whether there are 4 Jeeps or 30,  I would like to see this park again.     If a big group,  then I was thinking along the same lines as Bob that we might hand out some maps or something.   No navigation GPS would be necessary.  :-)   

-Ron 

edit:  I see that ThisOldWillys posted while I was typing.   We might even have two rides,  the short course,  and the longer one (with a little hike).     Options can be good.

I contributed to part of the scattering of cats last year,   by leading a small group astray.  Embarrassed   When the fellow ahead of me,  said  -> "follow this road,  and it will take you back to hotel"   maybe he said "will take you TOWARDS the hotel",  and it was assumed I would know where to turn when we got close. LOL

Not the end of world,  we got to see some extra scenery.  

Edited by JeepFever - 27 Feb. 2020 at 6:02pm
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 5:57pm
Ron, Andrea and I are in! 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Ron, Andrea and I are in! 

Should be fun.   

Maybe you should navigate though,   you seemed to pay better attention than Bill and I last year. LOL   

Edited by JeepFever - 27 Feb. 2020 at 9:35pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I've been talking with several northern Ohio Jeep buddies and sure seems like the pickin's are pretty slim.  Stev had some really nice trails on unimproved county roads around Hocking Hills, but that's 3.5 hours away!  Then I started asking around our club for a connection to Southington, but that guy kind of disappeared from our club.  I also joined Hall Of Fame online group only to find Bob Christy already there asking for leads on a place to wheel.  Anyone with a connection to Southington?

I put out some feelers with friends/family in area.   I actually got some promising leads,  but still waiting to hear back .    I don't want to push too hard since they are doing favor for us.   

Even though,  I know a guy, who knows the guy, . .  this might be a long shot.   I can imagine a park like this probably gets asked for special permissions a lot.    They are probably reluctant to let one group in,    for fear of opening the floodgates for requests.

One question my friend asked me,   how many Jeeps would this be?   I told him maybe around 10-15.  Is that even close?

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 3:58am
That's kinda what I was thinking, Ron. Probably a dozen if the course is not too crazy.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 3:33am
There is a small Ice cream shop down the street from the hotel by the jeep dealer.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2020 at 2:53pm
I plan to drive down Thursday morning. Hopefully I can get there in time for whatever is planned for Thursday. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 8:16pm
Good Afternoon Everyone:

I just got an email from the MVPA.  Their annual convention was being held the same week (14-17 May 2020) as this Spring Reunion, about 140 west in Findlay, Ohio.  It has now been canceled due to the Wauhan Coronavirus.  Any word on this event?  On the one hand we are all getting coup-soured around here, but on the other we all want to be safe.

Regards,

Willys Wally

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 10:33pm
Personally I think it’s rediculous to cancel anything that is more than 2 weeks away at this point! People need to chill!!
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 10:59pm
Sounds like I could actually go this year. And seeing as the Jeep's being honored are the CJ-5's, I have one running I could bring. Interesting.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

People need to chill!!

I've been saying that too, but there are those who tell me I need to take it much more seriously.  They say Wuhan flu is 10 times more deadly than "ordinary" flu!  It's gonna kill up to 2.2 million people in the U.S.!  There won't be a cure for 18 months!!  I'm inclined to skepticism, not panic. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2020 at 2:15pm
My thoughts.....Stay calm, use common sense. Stay off facebook, and dont make decisions for things that are months in advance. Re evaluate as the situation progresses whether it gets better or worse. 
Ruffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 3:20am
Has anyone made contact with Southington Off-road yet? I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes if they’ve started the process. 
Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Ruffy Ruffy wrote:

Has anyone made contact with Southington Off-road yet? I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes if they’ve started the process. 

Attempts have been tried,  but so far no response back.   I don't think anyone would consider their toes stepped on,  if someone had better luck making contact.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 9:04am
I have called and emailed multiple times. No response. If they are open in May, I may just go there the first weekend.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 11:44am
Definitely count me in on the Willys Spring Reunion.  Can't wait to meet everyone in person.  I'm in Madison OH, just over an hour north of the Southington Park and can go check things out if needed.  (Once the governor lifts the no travel order)
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>