Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thumper gets another Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thumper gets another Mod
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2023 at 10:53am
Having only gear noise would be like music to my ears. 

The CJ2A in my avatar picture is way past due for a transmission/transfer case swap. Both make every kind of noise possible, and both pop out of gear going down hill. These have gear noise, bearing noise, clunks rattles, and they scream like Banshees while going down the road. I have rebuilt units ready to install soon as I clear some space in the garage.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2023 at 9:35am
Last night I was able to get out and take Thumper for a drive. I drove it about 15 miles and I did notice a noticeable difference in tone of the noise coming from the transfer case. It seems now I only have gear noise.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I’ve entertained the AA kit in the past but couldn’t find anyone to machine the gear. How did you accomplish it?

Most any local machine shop would be able to machine the gear. Jpet was able to machine mine.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 2:07pm
I’ve entertained the AA kit in the past but couldn’t find anyone to machine the gear. How did you accomplish it?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 11:43am
That looks a lot like the "heat blue" once used on Colt revolvers Smile

Good thing you tore it down to see what the noise was. I knew someone who drove his father's Dodge truck and ignored the noises coming from the transmission until it locked up. He said the case was glowing red when he looked underneath. Gears in that box were welded to the shaft.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 11:16am
Over the last year I've been noticing more and more noise coming from my transfer case while traveling down the highway. The last few months it's become unbearable for me. I suspected the needle bearings in the intermediate gear to be the culprit from the things I've read. So I ordered the intermediate shaft from Advance Adapters the uses the tapered bearings. Yesterday after church I did the swap. After seeing the intermediate gear, I gained some confidence in the needle bearings being the cause of the noise when I saw the gear has turned blue.

Here's the pictures of the new shaft setup for AA.

This evening after work I hope to get lube put back in the transfer case and take it for a test run.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
DAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2023 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Originally posted by DAAN DAAN wrote:

Nice project and neat install of the locker. What half shafts are you using in the rear axle?

I'm running the offset flanged D44. I'm using the stock shafts that came in that rear end. They came with 30 spline shafts.

Ah I see, nice strong set up you have there.
1990 Mahindra
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2023 at 9:21am
Originally posted by DAAN DAAN wrote:

Nice project and neat install of the locker. What half shafts are you using in the rear axle?

I'm running the offset flanged D44. I'm using the stock shafts that came in that rear end. They came with 30 spline shafts.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
DAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2023 at 4:48pm
1990 Mahindra
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

You might want to put the CB back in that bracket for when there aren't so many around to help you out of those situation!

I have a FRS radio mounted in the Jeep most all of the time. I only throw the CB in for a couple trips a year I go on where I haven't convinced everyone to get a FRS radio.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2023 at 7:03pm
You might want to put the CB back in that bracket for when there aren't so many around to help you out of those situation!

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2023 at 7:50am
Just a few bloopers from this last weekend wheeling with the Reunion group.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2023 at 2:03am
Hey Al,

Just got my hands on a GM HEI Distrbutor, complete with  plug wires, alas, it won't fit with my Offy 360 intake. Good deal to you if you can use.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 10:20am
My MAC valve leaked thru the discharge vent when I bench tested it before I installed it.  I took it apart and put it back together and it seemed to hold pressure after that.  I didn’t really fix anything when I had it apart, so who knows what it was.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 8:23am
Time for a quick update. I got the Yukon ZIP locker installed well before EJS. While out in Utah at EJS I found that I really liked the air locker for the most part. I really liked being able to run "open/open" with both the front and rear and only actuating the lockers when needed. I like how quickly it locks in. It engages almost immediately compared to my E locker I have in the front. I will likely install another air locker in the front end later this year.

I did however have one issue with it while I was there. The morning we ran Mashed Potatoes I started hearing the compressor cycling about every minute. The locker still seemed to work as it should. When we got back to camp we found that the MAC valve was bleeding off air out of the vent. I disassembled the valve and didn't find a thing wrong with it. I put it back together and it worked perfect the rest of the week. I'm sure a small piece of debris was probably stuck in there not allowing the valve to seat all the way.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

[QUOTE=Rick G]  But since I run NDT's I will never have enough traction to break anything.

Ha!  +1
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Nice job, Alan.  Take lots of pictures of your air locker install.  I’m not familiar with the Yukon air locker, but I’m assuming it’s a lot like the ARB with internal airline & seals?

From what I understand is ARB's patent on their original design that they produced for many years ran out and the Yukon is basically a copy of it. Hopefully it is as durable as the ARB units. Time will tell on that I guess. But since I run NDT's I will never have enough traction to break anything.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 10:21am
That air locker is gonna be sweet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>