Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thumper gets another Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

I do wonder how the spring pack will hold up with the leaves removed.

Yeah, I really don't know if they will last. Rick G is running Black Diamond springs on Gus if I remember correctly. As you know he wheels pretty hard. He finally did break a main leaf on the rear in Colorado at FCT in September. He managed to weld it back together with another leaf and it got him by the rest of the week. I plan to carry one of the leaves I took out along just in case the same happens to me. If it does I won't mind too much. That just gives me a reason to finally have some new ones made.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2020 at 12:56pm
My header wrap finally showed up at the end of last week. Yesterday I was able to get my exhaust all wrapped and put back in. After going through the calibrating procedures for the wide band gauge I was able to get it installed. I was amazed with how close I was to being right where I wanted to be on the carburetor settings. All I needed was 1/4 turn in on the air/fuel mixture screws on the carburetor and this is where I was:

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:06pm
Just wanted to give an update on the Motorcraft 2150 swap. I had a chance to give it a real world shakedown last weekend at Rush Springs.

I must say I was pleased with how it did. It performed much better than my old Rochester 2 Jet. It's still not fuel injection but getting much closer. Angles didn't seem to bother it like the Rochester. Hard bouncing also didn't have much effect. The picture below shows one time where it wasn't able to stay running. I may be asking a little much out of it. I do have another idea on how to make it do a bit better on severe angles I'm going to try. I will update with that at a later date.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:13pm
I can make it run even better off-road..... ( edit.....Alan is running this mod already. We can make it better is what I wanted to say )

This mod I invented converts the fuel bowl into a 4-way baffle box. The fuel always has to climb a wall and that allows the float to shut the fuel off at very extreme angles.

On the later model you will need to delete the high speed air bleed system. It isn't hard.
You just have to cut the draw tube off and epoxy shut the hole.

Deleting the high speed air bleed usually helps air fuel mixture when the engine is at low vaccum and on the power valve. Most of the OE motorcraft stuff is SUPER rich on the PV. The late model ones with high speed air bleeds did tend to have slightly smaller PVCR passages.

Edited by Metcalf - 01 May 2020 at 7:15pm
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

I can make it run even better off-road.....

This mod I invented converts the fuel bowl into a 4-way baffle box. The fuel always has to climb a wall and that allows the float to shut the fuel off at very extreme angles.

On the later model you will need to delete the high speed air bleed system. It isn't hard.
You just have to cut the draw tube off and epoxy shut the hole.

Deleting the high speed air bleed usually helps air fuel mixture when the engine is at low vaccum and on the power valve. Most of the OE motorcraft stuff is SUPER rich on the PV. The late model ones with high speed air bleeds did tend to have slightly smaller PVCR passages.

I have your mod installed. I've never tried it without your kit so I can't really compare the before and after. I'm sure it makes a huge difference.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:12pm
Yeah. I didn't see it explained, so I thought I would post some tech.

There are a few other little tweaks you can make.

-Check fuel level in the float bowl wet. I measure down from the fuel bowl wall with a quarter ( the coin ) to set the level. The 'stock' level seems to vary drastically with fuel pressure. This wet fuel level seems to give the best performance all around....not so low that you get lean surge on the highway, not so high to cause issues.

-Check to make sure you have a float spring. Readjust fuel bowl level if you have to add one. You can tweak the 'leg' of the spring to change the preload slightly on the float.

-I like the shortest float ( for length ) that I can find. That seems to help with how much they swing.

-They make a needle and seat that has a spray guard ( so the incoming fuel doesn't hit the float at velocity )

-Some of the late 2150s had a factory baffle and short float in them. You can make a little stainless steel version to keep the fuel from sloshing back and forth violently. I tried a square of fuel cell foam, but it fell apart in modern fuel almost instantly.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 1:28pm
Over the last few years my rockers have been taking a bit of a beating on the rocks. I've been looking at Ian Liljeblad's rock sliders for a while now. I liked the look I just didn't know how tough they would be. Well, Stan put a set on Grandpa's Jeep before his last trip to Moab and they did in fact prove to be Stan proof. So I went a ahead and ordered a set for myself.

Ian offers the DIY weld together kit or you can get them already welded together. I went with the DIY kit. It is a fairly easy kit to install. The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to get my rockers straightened back out enough to mount the new sliders to them.

Here's a shot of the passenger side rocker. (I had already drilled the mounting holes for the slider.)

A few shots of the install and the final product.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 2:56pm
Looks great!Clap
-Gaffer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 4:17pm
Looks good Alan.
Is being "Stan proof" the litmus test for bash protection?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Over the last few years my rockers have been taking a bit of a beating on the rocks...

Your wheelin' buddies must be bad spotters or a bad influence.  Or maybe those little skinny tires don't keep the rocks away like the wide 33's did.Thumbs Up  Either way rock sliders look awesome on Thumper and are a great mod!  
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Over the last few years my rockers have been taking a bit of a beating on the rocks...

Your wheelin' buddies must be bad spotters or a bad influence.  Or maybe those little skinny tires don't keep the rocks away like the wide 33's did.Thumbs Up  Either way rock sliders look awesome on Thumper and are a great mod!  
It’s hard to get use to the traction of the NDTs. Your 33s would slip on rocks where the NDTs will either climb it, or rip it out of the ground and suck it up into the undercarriage. I recommend climbing bigger rocks
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

It’s hard to get use to the traction of the NDTs. Your 33s would slip on rocks where the NDTs will either climb it, or rip it out of the ground and suck it up into the undercarriage. I recommend climbing bigger rocks

The spotting in this group can get a little dicey sometimes. This is what happened to Jeff after taking spotting advise from me:

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 6:48pm
i don't trust spotters. I drive my own line, I have my reasons and I always get up to the end of the trail.
I have had to turn back and rescue a few over the years, nobody gives me crap about the line I chose.
john
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

i don't trust spotters. I drive my own line, I have my reasons and I always get up to the end of the trail.
I have had to turn back and rescue a few over the years, nobody gives me crap about the line I chose.

I lean toward this side of the fence as well, though not quite as adamantly maybe.

I lean toward the idea that it's OK in dangerous /precarious situations or in an 'asked for' situation.

I don't care for the guys that jump up to every 'spot' and tell you where you need to drive it.....almost cheating at that point isn't it?

Not everyone will agree I'm sure.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 7:58pm
The only damage i  have done to my Jeep that you can see is a ding in an exhaust pipe. I have dragged both axles, the skid plate, my PTO, rear springs, rear crossmember, etc. As I aid, I like to choose my line.
john
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 9:08pm
I am extremely proud of the fact that my exhaust pipe is in perfect shape .
See for yourself:

... keep practicing. You’ll get there.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 9:38pm
Those look good!  and should help for sure.

Gives a preview of what they would look like on Wilson,  same color.  LOL
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 9:01pm
Another project I'm looking at tackling this winter on Thumper is changing out the steering column. I currently have a late 70's CJ7 column installed with the saginaw steering box up front. I would like to retain the saginaw steering but put on original column in to make it look like it should (since I'm a purist and all).

For those of you who have done your steering like this, did you have to make some sort of bracket and bearing to take the place of the Ross box to carry some of the torque on the bottom of the column? or does the mounting ring that bolts to the firewall do that for you?

As always I appreciate any help I can get. I probably won't start on it till some time in November unless for some reason I get ambitious and tackle it earlier.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>