Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 Kubota build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 3:42pm
This is an interesting thread.
I ran a '95 GMC Suburban 6.5L turbo-diesel for 15-years and ran the odo up to 295k-miles. Never changed a glow-plug, injector or injector pump. The only problem with them was the Electronic PMD (pump driver module).
This would make a nice torquey and smooth engine. I'm done with diesel black.
I sold the 6.5L turbo-diesel, and replaced it with an '07 Chevy 2500 series Suburban with he 6.0L gas engine with electronic tow-mode.

But _ _ _ I keep thinking Matori CRD turbo-diesel 4-cylinder for a CJ2.

Anyone out there who has installed a Matori turbo-diesel ?
or know of someone who has installed a Matori

I liked OilEater's remarks about wiring the wastegate shut while checking for optimum-max-Boost.    I've been, running an '02 Subaru WRX turbo for 14-years now and not much has changed, and I don't know what the boost is (probably 4), but the engine Gets-With-It above 3k rpm's, bringing a wide smile to my face.
The Mustang GT squeaks out the WRX sti in the 1/4 mile due to an advantage of power-to-weight ratio. Turbo-Tickling and more-boost may allow the tires to toss a few more rocks and get-a-Grip up up and over that obstacle.
When in doubt, get a better run at that obstacle with Hope and Sheer-Determination.    hahahaha    _ _ _ I'm just getting a chuckle remembering back one day when I looked up to the right at an overgrown logging skid trail. I looked at my son (then about 8yo, and asked him if we could make it up that trail with the CJ.
He said go-for-it-Dad !!    I have the Ford T-18 with reverse to the right and Up towards the dash.   I told my son hang-on, we're Going-for-the-Gold, and punched that V-8 304 to the floor, and away we went like in a Catapult up that skid trail driving over 1-1/2 inch saplings (yes I have a road-sign skid plate up front for this purpose - a "desperation-skid-plate). I made a successful speed-shift up into 3rd gear and we made it up to the top !!
There are many times with a desperation-shift that I push the shifter too far to the right and skrub reverse, ending the desperate Catapult assault.
All in a day's Fun, and especially with my boy (he is now 30yo).

I think Subaru makes small diesels for side-by-sides. interesting

Those numbers of 3.5 to 4.5k $$$ for a Cummins BT4 is close because there has been one for sale on Craigslist here in northern Calif at $4.5k.

Chasendeer probably knows who has it for sale.   hahahaha
Builds are great fun trying to make that decision of just what all to use, and I have enjoyed hearing about getting your axles ready.
Please clue us in on some of the specifics if you wish.

One last thing:   where Chasendeer earlier mentioned the difficulty of turning with the Power-Lock up front and went to an air locker, it reminded me of the mid-to-late-'90's Cherokee's on the Rubicon who had ARB's front and back and the Long-Arm kits for articulation. They would stop, _ _ psst psst was the sound (locking the diffs), then they would climb up the obstacle, then stop at the top momentarily, and psst psst, unlock the lockers so they could TURN.
It really was a pleasure to watch them gracefully maneuver the terrain.
   I have never enjoyed lockers yet, but if I see the 'right' Cherokee for sale with properly set-up long-arms and ARB's _ _ _ i'm buying it.   hahahaha

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 3:53pm
You left out the part about two ways to get more power. Cubic dollars, or cubic inches. Both is even better. But without a drizzle under the hood, you can't roll coal on pedestrians!!!!Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

But without a drizzle under the hood, you can't roll coal on pedestrians!!!!Thumbs Up
  I’m looking forward to doing it to bicyclist that don’t yield!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 3:00am
Was able to pick up my axels today. The Roxor 44 sure is larger than a 25 that I'm used to looking at!! I went with 4.88 gears. 
Now to find a set of rear disc brakes to use and a set U bolt skid plates that will fit both front and rear axels.
Jay 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 1:03pm
4:88's are the same as the WW2 Jeep ratios. They were geared too tall for steep Jeep trails. Willys Overland soon changed to 5:38's with the CJ2A. Much better all around. 

Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 1:09pm
True, but I have the advantage of a T18 four speed to overcome it. 
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 4:14pm
I ended up buying a set of Roxor front springs, now going to do Yj in the rear also. Bought hangers from Ballistic and Ruff Stuff.
The Roxor front springs are 34.25" ctc on the eyes and have a 5" arch from center of eye to SUA mount.
Trying to figure out a YJ spring that will match them. Any ideas? When I picked up my springs and spring plates I checked out the torsion bar set up the have, it looks like it would be easy to add to a flat fender.
Jay

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I ended up buying a set of Roxor front springs, now going to do Yj in the rear also. Bought hangers from Ballistic and Ruff Stuff.
The Roxor front springs are 34.25" ctc on the eyes and have a 5" arch from center of eye to SUA mount.
Trying to figure out a YJ spring that will match them. Any ideas? When I picked up my springs and spring plates I checked out the torsion bar set up the have, it looks like it would be easy to add to a flat fender.
Jay

I don't know how much arch is in a YJ spring, IIRC, they're 45" long.  Stock 2A/3A front springs are 35" long and the rears are 40" long.  I looked at doing the YJ spring swap but ended up going with stock 2A/3A rears all around.  I'm using CJ5 perches which give you 13/16" of lift and 3/4" lift shackles.  That pretty much preserves all the stock geometry.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2020 at 8:30pm
Now that there has been talk about a 2021 Rubicon trip with the Quaaazy8’s I need to get busy!!
Had some spring mounts and a pto drive shaft so up this week. Along with a spindle that I sent to Jpet to get modified for a 30 spline floating rear end. 

Jay
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2020 at 11:14pm

Now that there has been talk about a 2021 Rubicon trip with the Quaaazy8’s I need to get busy!!
Had some spring mounts and a pto drive shaft so up this week. Along with a spindle that I sent to Jpet to get modified for a 30 spline floating rear end. 

Jay

I happen to have a stock YJ. What do you need to know? I'm considering pulling the 4.0 and stuffing a VM Motori 2.8 (R428) in it. I'm not sure what I'm going to gain other than cool factor and a six speed manual and a ton of knowledge. Oh yeah....30 to the gallon (US)(assuming I gear it correctly)

Edit: I thought of more things.... Cool turbo whistle.
It's still a Jeep engine as it was designed and built almost exclusively for Chrysler, it must be it has a Jeep engine cover. 
Excellent at altitude. 
Lighter weight.
140 amp alternator. A/C Compressor for OBA.
300 or there abouts ft/lbs torque. 
Simple fuel system.
Did I mention turbo?

Edited by littlesteve - 23 Apr. 2020 at 12:01am
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2020 at 5:53am
This is going to be an interesting build.  Looking forward to watching you build it, and then wheel it!  Keep us in the loop with lots of pics.

You still have Sheila, the column shift Rubicon veteran?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2020 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

This is going to be an interesting build.  Looking forward to watching you build it, and then wheel it!  Keep us in the loop with lots of pics.

You still have Sheila, the column shift Rubicon veteran?

Will do. I still have the old girl, she has not been the same sense the Rubicon.
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 8:20pm
With COVID in full effect, parts deliveries have slowed way down. The UPS driver said it is as bad as cyber Monday!!
On my front axel I went with a Ruff Stuff cover, it sticks out to far for the stock tie rods, so I'm going to do a tie rod flip and use Chevy 1 ton ends with 1.25" DOM tubing. The parts should be here Monday. Also coming Monday are my pair of Jpet rear 30 spile spindles for a full float 44.

I hope to get my fab parts from the sheet metal shop by the end of the week and with any luck have a rolling frame next weekend. Wish me luck!!

Jay

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 4:39am
Good Luck, Jay!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:21pm
The UPS man delivered big time yesterday!! First I got my new spindles from Jpet for the full float 30 spline axels. Then my DOM tubing came from Ruff Stuff.
Jay
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:56pm

The UPS man delivered big time yesterday!! First I got my new spindles from Jpet for the full float 30 spline axels. Then my DOM tubing came from Ruff Stuff.
Excellent!
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:02am
Wow, those spindles look nice!!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 12:36am
Finally had got a few of my ducks in a row and made some progress this week. My friend with the sheet metal company got my front and rear bumpers along with my radiator cross member bent up. Then my welder friends was in town this week to install them and spring hangers. All seems ok except the rear springs, I think I will change out the RE 1.5" for a set of stock YJ springs. I almost have a rolling chassis, but my rear leaf spring plate are not in yet. Wheel base looks to be at 84".

If I can figure out photos I will post some up.

Jay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>