Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death wobble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death wobble
    Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 4:31pm
Hi all. Spring is starting to warm, and so is my project. Before I get to my main point. Can you experienced manual driverfrivers give me some pointers. Everything I know is self taught, and usually all is well, sometimes I stall out in 1st gear. How can I avoid do this?

Alright for the main event. This Sunday I was on a drive in my project, no fenders, hood, grille for now. But it drives nonetheless. And then I experienced the death wobble, scared the piss outta me. I believe the problem. Is between the steering gear and the throw rod. Also the well has some slop without anything moving visibly. Any help is helpful!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 4:33pm
check the lockouts, having one engaged and other not may be part of the problem.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 4:36pm
I will, but I also want to note, this is the first time it's happened, about a dozen road drives, and not fooling with the hubs, but I'll check
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 4:51pm
Have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth. You watch for movement/slop in the steering components. Wherever there is movement would be the area needing attention. Steering stablizers are a band-aid fix that works pretty well. Balancing tires help. Among other stuff.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 4:55pm
1) Worn Kingpin bearings
2) Worn sloppy Bellcrank
3) Worn or loose drag link ends
4) Worn or sloppy Ross steering box
5) improper toe in or wheel allighnment

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 4:57pm
A multitude of issues contribute to "death wobble."
This thread from the Tech FAQs section discusses some of them and links included there go further in depth.

Driving a manual transmission is a learned art. Roll out stalls happen to even the most experienced of us on occasion. Feather the skinny pedal a little sometimes helps me by dumping just a little bit more fuel into the intake with the accelerator pump, but not enough to turn high revs. You don't want too much throttle or you'll pop your neck and your passenger will cuss, but you do need enough revs to not bog down. This is even trickier when stalling out on a steep wall where death and/or destruction await a roll back or other mistake. 

Edited by smfulle - 13 Mar. 2020 at 3:35pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

1) Worn Kingpin bearings
2) Worn sloppy Bellcrank

Lee

6) Worn tie rod ends
7) Bad tire balance
8) loose wheel bearing adjustment or worn spindle(s)

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 5:14pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 5:53pm
"
Posted: 36 minutes ago at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

1) Worn Kingpin bearings
2) Worn sloppy Bellcrank

Lee 

6) Worn tie rod ends
7) Bad tire balance
8) loose wheel bearing adjustment or worn spindle(s)

9) loose lug nuts
10) cracked bell crank pin
11) warn spring bushings
12) loose drag link ends
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 6:07pm
What kind of tires are you running. What type of shackles?

The reason I ask is because in my experience with NDTs, it has always been resolved with new tires. I do not have any loose connections but it seems like the only place for my jeep to "wobble" is at the shackles. Mine are the two plate style with poly bushings. I'll drive on a set of tires for a couple years and eventually, the death wobble shows up. Buy new tires and it goes away... for a couple years. MMV
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 6:40pm
They are NDTs bit they are almost new. As the shackles are stock  so they shouldn't be a problem. This is a first for me. Made it worse cause I didn't have the brake line connected
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2020 at 3:20pm
Death wobble is an all too common problem.

You will get a lot of answers that are variations of I changed this, it got better, so that part is always the answer.
Just because that part fixed their problem does not mean it will fix yours.
It can come from noticeable slack in any part of the steering.
It can also come from just a little slack in every part of the steering.

Bottom line is that if the whole steering system is good, you should be too.
A damper is still good insurance. 

Getting used to using a clutch is an art form.
You can prevent stalling by either letting the clutch out slower or releasing at a bit higher RPM.
I would suggest higher RPM.
Within reason the clutch will thank for it.
In time you will find your happy point between stall and tire chirp. Wink

1946 CJ2A 14098
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 3:59pm
So my steering box was a little loose, tightened it to no avail. Took the slop out of the steering wheel, didn't stop it. 

There is a spot on my country bumpkin road that I go over it faster than 20 mph to test out the wobble. So far haven't found the problem/solution 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 4:42pm
One of the more neglected parts in Willys steering systems are the king pin bearings.  You cannot assume they are in good condition.  These bearings were removed from a 3A that drove straight and steered okay...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 5:09pm
Many things can contribute to the wobble. The last one I had ended up needing a little more toe in. I think I gave it about a half turn in. 

Mike

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 6:59pm
I'll give it a look, I am gonna make the front up so I can paint the rims, it'll give me a chance to look at it. I'll keep y'all posted

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 1:47am
don't forget tire and wheel balancing plus air pressure .helped big time on   my M 38.
I always say,  start with the easiest first.

I loved the Black board picture, so true.

gearwrencher
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 12:15pm
Could it be a problem at such a low speed?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>