Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death wobble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 1:29pm
I would add on the kingpin bearing topic - I found the solution on one of my Jeeps to be the bearings. But really the bearing itself was fine. It was the race. Once the wobble starts, you could have worn a "pattern" into the race. Mine had a significant spot in the race where it allowed the slop, which I can only assume caused the problem. Bearings ended up being the solution in my case. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 4:04pm
This thread has a picture of my worn king pin bearings and an interesting drawing with some tech talk.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2020 at 7:33pm
I should add as well. Even though it steers fine normally, when the death wobble commences, the wheel doesn't shake cause I'm holding it, yet the wheels are maxing out the turn radius' 

I still will check the kingpin bearings and races. I doubt it'll be easy, but I'm running out of options 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 3:43pm
I have this same problem on my M38 A1, I've replaced the tie rod ends, confirmed toe in, replaced the shocks and balanced the tires.  I took the hubs off and checked the King King Bearings, they have been adjusted for pre load a couple of times, but this last inspection revealed Brinelling on both the left and right side, these need to be replaced, While I'm at it I'm going to re-build the Steering box to eliminate any contribution it might make.  I found also that the Tight Steer sold by Walks does an excellent job of maintaining the correct tolerances in the Ross box thus reducing issues there.

So as Lee and others pointed out, its not just one thing that needs to be right to solve this problem, but it is solvable and your jeep will drive a lot better for all of the work you do to fix it.
Gun.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 6:11pm
So I am gonna dig into the kingpin bearings and see what's happening in there. 

Can anybody tell me the parts I'd need to replace, like seals etc before I do it, so I can order them, thanks.

Does anybody know if MB bumperettes would fit on a cj2a rear bumper?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:07pm
You may need knuckle to ball seals if yours can't be reused, and if you repack wheel bearings you will need those seals.
BOULDER 48 2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:33pm
MB bumperettes will fit on a CJ2A frame.  You just have to drill holes for them.

EDIT :  So much for double tasking. 

Edited by Stev - 31 Mar. 2020 at 3:18pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 2:40am
Steve, I think that you posted about the bumperettes in the wrong thread.?!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 3:02am
This is just my way of looking at the two things that will kill you the fastest in a vehicle. Steering and brakes.

FIX OR REPLACE EVERYTHING BUT THE NON SERVICEABLE PARTS

My point is if you are going to take the vehicle on the road at all you should make sure its safe.

Edited by Mark W. - 31 Mar. 2020 at 3:05am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:51am
Sure, I agree. But still what parts would I need to replace if I tore it apart. I don't want to take it apart and wait a week because I didn't order something 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 5:29am
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Can anybody tell me the parts I'd need to replace, like seals etc before I do it, so I can order them, thanks.

First off, you're gonna need a copy of the Service Manual For Universal Jeep Vehicles. You do already have one, right? You will need four bearing cones and four cups. Two on each side and the upper and lower are the same. You may need knuckle bearing shims, so get a set. You will probably need new knuckle (ball) seals. If you have not cleaned and re-packed the wheel bearings then this is a good time to do it and you'll need two new hub seals. If you don't pack them, you'll still need two seals. If it has been a long time since this has been done, you may need new bearings (cones and cups). Inner and outer are the same, two per side. If one is bad, replace them both. You'll probably find that Bubba has used a chisel to loosen/tighten the wheel bearing nuts, so you'll need two new sets. You'll also need a proper socket so you will not become Bubba. When you go to disconnect the tie rod ends, you may find that they are worn, or you may destroy them getting them loose. If one is bad, replace all 4. You will need an ample supply of the lube of your choice, be it chassis grease, corn head grease, CV joint grease, your favorite "knuckle pudding" recipe, or whatever. You may not be able to get the "S" brake lines loose from the hose and/or the wheel cylinder without damaging them, so you may need them. When you pull the hubs/drums off, you may find that the brake shoes are worn out or soaked with oil/grease or brake fluid. If you replace the shoes, replace the wheel cylinders too. Then when this is all done, you can check the rear brakes and we'll start a new list.
  So, you see, it can go on and on. Before you're done, you'll probably have the back seat out (old mechanic's joke). If you want to hope for the best and order the bare minimum that you will surely need, I would say bearings, shims, knuckle seals, hub seals, lube. And the Service Manual.
  Keep us posted, let us know how it goes, so I can say "Wha'd I say?" (another old mechanic's joke).
  BW

Oh, yeah, the MB bumperettes will fit, but you'll need to drill some holes and get rid of the ag hitch if you have one.
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

First off, you're gonna need a copy of the Service Manual For Universal Jeep Vehicles. You do already have one, right? You will need four bearing cones and four cups. Two on each side and the upper and lower are the same. You may need knuckle bearing shims, so get a set. You will probably need new knuckle (ball) seals. If you have not cleaned and re-packed the wheel bearings then this is a good time to do it and you'll need two new hub seals. If you don't pack them, you'll still need two seals. If it has been a long time since this has been done, you may need new bearings (cones and cups). Inner and outer are the same, two per side. If one is bad, replace them both. You'll probably find that Bubba has used a chisel to loosen/tighten the wheel bearing nuts, so you'll need two new sets. You'll also need a proper socket so you will not become Bubba. When you go to disconnect the tie rod ends, you may find that they are worn, or you may destroy them getting them loose. If one is bad, replace all 4. You will need an ample supply of the lube of your choice, be it chassis grease, corn head grease, CV joint grease, your favorite "knuckle pudding" recipe, or whatever. You may not be able to get the "S" brake lines loose from the hose and/or the wheel cylinder without damaging them, so you may need them. When you pull the hubs/drums off, you may find that the brake shoes are worn out or soaked with oil/grease or brake fluid. If you replace the shoes, replace the wheel cylinders too. Then when this is all done, you can check the rear brakes and we'll start a new list.
  So, you see, it can go on and on. Before you're done, you'll probably have the back seat out (old mechanic's joke). If you want to hope for the best and order the bare minimum that you will surely need, I would say bearings, shims, knuckle seals, hub seals, lube. And the Service Manual.
  Keep us posted, let us know how it goes, so I can say "Wha'd I say?" (another old mechanic's joke).
  BW

Oh, yeah, the MB bumperettes will fit, but you'll need to drill some holes and get rid of the ag hitch if you have one.

I agree with Bruce and Mark. Replacing bearings and seals is darn cheap insurance.  Do check the bell crank as well.   I have experienced the death wobble in more than one 2A and had the steering go out twice. Also experienced the brakes going out twice.  This is why I am going to a D-30 NT diff with Saginaw steering and disc brakes with dual M/C.   
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 10:25am

Sure, I agree. But still what parts would I need to replace if I tore it apart. I don't want to take it apart and wait a week because I didn't order something 

Lol... order "everything" LOL

70yo jeeps are great, but they're 70yo.  They come to us generally from many different POs, uses, levels of neglect and maintenance.... most have no baseline.  Most people I know don't think twice about getting a new ride and changing all the fluids.  It's investigatory, it's a starting point... it's a baseline.  You know where you are.

Death wobble is a tough one to diagnose because there can be so many contributing factors, sometimes a single cause, most times not.  I'm not suggesting you need to rebuild everything from the horn button to the driven plates, but my advice is to rebuild things you have no history on, and to do it in such a way that you aren't disassembling stuff you just took apart to try the next thing (don't replace wheel bearings only to be doing king pins a week later).  Order everything you need to rebuild a knuckle and establish a baseline where you know it's good.  If you're going to redo the bellcrank, get the kit for the draglink too, and so on.  Tie rod ends, do them all.

Yes, you'll maybe spend a little more in parts, but that'll come back to you ten fold in saved time... and baseline.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 12:27pm
Put a block of wood next to a front wheel jacked up until clear of the floor and spin the wheel with your hand and watch the run out. A wobbly/bent wheel will sure start the death wobble even if all the bearings are new. Put the wobbly one on the rear or spare mount. 

All the above is correct. When you bolt on the caps for the knuckle bearings, pay attention to the two longer bolts that go through the hose brush guards. If the bolt goes through too far it wrecks your brand new expensive knuckle bearing cages. Wink

As BW said, some bozo most likely used a chisel on your outer bearing hex nuts. New ones with a correct socket to tighten is a pleasure. The nut sets with new washers are cheap. Welcome to the Knuckle party! Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 2:11pm
Ok so I do have a manuel, hard copy infact! I was hoping for the bare minimum of things I'd need. I will keep y'all posted when I get to it. While some have gone unemployed my warehouse has shifted into maximum overdrive and I'm on standby with the guard.

Know a time frame so I can kinda plan on a window to work on it?Confused
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Steve, I think that you posted about the bumperettes in the wrong thread.?!

Not really.....the General just asked two posts above Stev's answer whether anybody knew if they would fit..

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 3:39pm
I wonder if more of a description of the symptoms of your “death wobble” might be helpful. What speed does it happen?  You say the steering wheel doesn’t move cause you’re holding it but the wheels move thru their turning radius?  I’ve not experienced the death wobble or shimmy without the steering wheel shaking. Thanks
Mike in AZ
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 5:56pm
So there is no speed at which it starts, just hits a bump, usually I'm going around 15 to 25 just to keep it safe. But it's a bump that I can roll over and it starts the wobble. The wheel doesn't move much when I'm holding it, but I feel the vibration of it fighting a little 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>