Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L134 crankshaft pulley bolt socket size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalealan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L134 crankshaft pulley bolt socket size?
    Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 2:41pm
Hey guys
Can you tell me what size socket will fit on the crankshaft pulley bolt on my 48 CJ2A    L134 engine?   I have a 1 1/2" socket and it is too big and a.          ,1 5/1l6" is too small
1948 CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 3:18pm
1-3/8" rings a bell... not sure if it matters if a nut or a "starting nut" (hand crank)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
dalealan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalealan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 4:22pm
Hey thanks!   I j had about narrowed it down to that size
1948 CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by dalealan dalealan wrote:

Hey thanks!   I j had about narrowed it down to that size

Pretty sure I've used a 1-7/16" with success, but it was just a "little" big 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 4:46pm
A tape measure usually Doesent lie

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
dalealan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalealan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 7:04pm
I used some calipers and measured it and it is indeed 1 38".  I had to go buy a socket.  I had larger and smaller but not the right size
1948 CJ2A
dalealan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalealan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 7:07pm
This engine is stuck. I have the plugs out and I have been soaking the cylinders with marvel mystery oil and aerokriol. Hopefully it will free up.  It hasn't been cranked since 1995
1948 CJ2A
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 7:23pm
just a heads up I got from an older, very experienced flat fender mechanic: beware of using a big breaker bar. Crank damage possible. But the nut zooms right off with an impact wrench and proper socket. Worked great for me.

'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
dalealan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalealan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 7:44pm
How would you go about turning the engine over by hand?  I have always put a big bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt or nut and turned the engine manually. I'm trying to break this engine loose, but I don't want to damage the crankshaft by doing something the wrong way
1948 CJ2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 9:39pm
To try to turn a stuck engine, I pull out the starter & use a pry-bar on the flywheel's starter ring. If the engine is out, I have a six foot piece of 6" angle iron that I bolt to the flywheel using the pressure plate bolts. With it, the leverage is such that you can easily break said bolts right off, so be gentle. Heck, in any case be gentle. Most folks find that a 4 foot piece of 4" angle iron is enough. I have this one for diesel engines & have never made one to use on gas engines, as I am too lazy.

Lots of time, penetrating oil, & patience is the key here. Oh & be sure that the penetrating oil gets into the cylinder & does not just flow onto the valves. The piston is offset from the spark plugs, so some kind of funnel/tube is needed to get the penetrating oil into the cylinder. I almost always pull the head so I can see where my problem is, this also alleviates the offset issue. The Marvel Mystery Oil you are using is fine, as is the Aerokriol. I have used both of them with good results.

Note: WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil, it is a water disperscent.

Also be aware that stuck valves can stop the camshaft from turning which stops the crankshaft from turning. You could pull the valve covers & pry up on the valves to see if this is your issue, or to be clear, one of your issues. Again be gentle as the valves are easily damaged this way.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
dalealan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalealan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 9:53pm
Hey thanks for the info!   
1948 CJ2A
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 12:58am
My recommendation is don't do it. I've seen numerous engines that would have been rebuildable turned into junk by trying to make them run when they need to be disassembled.

If it's stuck then the rings are stuck to the pistons and cylinder wall. If you force it to turn you'll probably do damage. Rings will break, score the cylinders and break ring lands off the pistons.

Pull the head off and look inside, clean the cylinders, cut the ridge if there is one, knock the pistons out, remove the rings and clean the grooves. If you're lucky, you can lightly hone the cylinders and put it back together with the minimum amount of parts.

More work I know, but if you make a hurting engine run, you're most likely going to do more damage and end up with an engine that costs more to fix. Unless a rod or piston breaks, then maybe you've ruined the whole thing.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 3:09am
Years ago I bought a 36 mm socket to remove the axle nuts on the front of my YJ.  It turns out it fits nicely on the crankshaft nut on Ol' Unreliable.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply