Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sanity Check, D44 Full Floater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanity Check, D44 Full Floater
    Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Slowtwitch Slowtwitch wrote:

I was thinking they could just continue the lathe cut all the way to the tapper at the flange and not need the grinding op at the diameter/cut transition that they currently perform.

Yup, it is not much extra work in my opinion to turn the shaft to spline major diameter. There are probably pics of my shafts floating around in the Rango build thread, I think the shaft necked down under spline major about 8" away from the flange. I'm pretty sure they didn't have to turn the entire shaft. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Slowtwitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 11:42am
I was thinking they could just continue the lathe cut all the way to the tapper at the flange and not need the grinding op at the diameter/cut transition that they currently perform.
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2023 at 10:53pm
I think it would be better, yes. Is it easier, no. Turning down the shaft is extra work, I don't mind paying for that. The 1pc shaft system is still simplier and cheaper than double spline shafts ( in addition to having to purchase a locking hub or drive flange ). I just don't really understand why they wouldn't offer the service since it would be an issue for many applications with a shaft like this. In most floaters, the spindle bore does not have a lot of extra space. If the forging is large enough to turn for the splines....it probably have to be turned to pass through the spindle. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2023 at 7:41pm
It very well could be luck of the draw who shepherds the order through. It is odd they don't do it the way you suggest... seems it would be easier.
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2023 at 4:08pm

I got my situation figured out.. new to the axle thing and was thinking in terms of flangeless axles that require a 'drive lug' to be bolted to the hub.

Anyways, axles have been ordered through Dutchman. According to TJ @ Dutchman, they will NOT turn down one piece axles, and they strongly discourage doing so as it greatly increases likelihood of breakage. He also mentioned that it would be a couple hour process.

He said a two piece axle could be turned down safely.. a difference in the castings evidently.

The two axles for a Narrow track D44 are 22.25 and 30.5 inches. This was taken from the face of an installed hub on Brennan's spindles to the center pin then - .25" (as per Brennan) with an ARB diff.

These guys are crazy busy.. lead times are increasing.

I should call Dutchman and remind them that they turned down the OD on my full float one piece1541 axle shafts a decade ago.....and that they have functioned flawlessly for that time. They are NOT weak. 

My gut feeling is that they just don't want to do the work anymore, not that there is any engineering behind it really. They turn down the section for the splines and seal......it doesn't break there. They up-charged me to do it all those years ago, but at least they did it. 

Technically speaking, turning down the shaft all the way to spline minor would actually give even better shaft performance because of the increased torsion capacity. There would also be less root cracking where the splines end. Carl Jantz did a lot of experimenting with this on OEM spicer shafts years back with excellent results. 

Edited by Metcalf - 02 Mar. 2023 at 4:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2023 at 3:33pm
I got the axles. Length is perfect. The diameter towards the middle was too large. Looks like they post machine the diff ends after heat treatment (shaft is a darker color than turned ends). To transition the difference in diameter (stress relief) they grind a radius at the transition. The main shaft then tapers down towards the flanges. I was able to maintain the ground in transition, and the cut then just tappers off as the axle tapers in towards the flange. Doesn't strike me as stress inducing... at least not to an extent that will matter with 'normal' use. The axles showed obvious turning marks as received, so....Setup in the lathe took all of a minute.. the spline end is nicely center drilled and even greased!

So I don't know..my gut tells me taking a small cut off these is no issue whatsoever. Someone at Dutchman told me otherwise. Seems like it would be no problem for them to turn it to desired dia at Dutchman. Only the shadow knows... YMMV.

I am using  two rock assault seals 144020 at each end. They do not seat firm on the OD... close, so I sealed them in with some RTV... time will tell.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2023 at 2:38pm
I got my situation figured out.. new to the axle thing and was thinking in terms of flangeless axles that require a 'drive lug' to be bolted to the hub.

Anyways, axles have been ordered through Dutchman. According to TJ @ Dutchman, they will NOT turn down one piece axles, and they strongly discourage doing so as it greatly increases likelihood of breakage. He also mentioned that it would be a couple hour process.

He said a two piece axle could be turned down safely.. a difference in the castings evidently.

The two axles for a Narrow track D44 are 22.25 and 30.5 inches. This was taken from the face of an installed hub on Brennan's spindles to the center pin then - .25" (as per Brennan) with an ARB diff.

These guys are crazy busy.. lead times are increasing.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2023 at 12:10pm

I'm needing to order some ff/30s axles for a rear offset narrow track D44 that will (hopefully) use Brennans spindles. Was tapered axle.

Looking at Dutchman's site, these axles don't appear to be listed.

What did you guys order as far as part#, description etc? Online or does it take a call?

I only have the old drivers side axle if it's a made to measure affair.

I can deal with any diameters that need to be reduced/polished. More concerned about length.

Thanks.

These will not be an off-the-shelf item with any of the axle manufactures that I am aware of.  You will need to fill out Dutchman's custom axle form and that requires giving them all the dimensions you need, including the length.  The sure way to do this is to get the spindles and hubs you are going to use and at least mocked up in final form and then measure for the lengths from the hub mounting flange to the inside of the side gears-for a flanged shaft.  You need to add the length of the drive flange splines if going that route.  This is a LOT easier to do BEFORE you install any seals when you can actually get the tape to hang on the inside of the side gears.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowtwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 7:00pm
I'm needing to order some ff/30s axles for a rear offset narrow track D44 that will (hopefully) use Brennans spindles. Was tapered axle.

Looking at Dutchman's site, these axles don't appear to be listed.

What did you guys order as far as part#, description etc? Online or does it take a call?

I only have the old drivers side axle if it's a made to measure affair.

I can deal with any diameters that need to be reduced/polished. More concerned about length.

Thanks.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by EJOWest EJOWest wrote:

On the seals by the bearing cap did you make a piece to hold the seal in place?

Seals-it recommended the copper RTV and that is what I used to "stick" them in the tubes.  A light push fit.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 9:43am
On the seals by the bearing cap did you make a piece to hold the seal in place?
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2022 at 5:43pm
Short update:  I received my Dutchman 4130 axles a couple weeks back.  Both of these axles have the same, nearly identical profile.  From the flange inward to 9 inches, they are a nominal 1.250 diameter.  From 9 inches to 10 inches, they taper up to a pretty even 1.323" which is maintained all the way to the machining at the spline major.  I had Dutchman carry that machining in 6.5" so I could polish the inner seal surface on it.  I ran the boring bar down Jeff's spindles to open them up to 1.330" and everything slid in easy.  I'm using two sets of Seals-it seals on these.  The inner is just inside the axle tubes next to the carrier bearing caps and the other set in the back of the spindles.
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 6:27pm
Santa's workshop has been busy!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 11:52am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2021 at 11:02am

I ordered the Dutchman 4130. 
Thumbs Up
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2021 at 10:37am
I ordered the Dutchman 4130. 
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2021 at 10:07pm

To update my progress on the Full Floater. I took my Dutchman 30 spline axles to my local machine shop and had them turn them down to fit the Jpet spindle which cost under $200. I also had them polish them to give me a better service for a seal. The spline end is 1.373" and the flange end is 1.250" so I couldn't get a standard seal that would work. I went with Brennan's suggestion and had a seal housing made that fits a seal-it style seal in the axle housing. 

1541 or 4130?  What was the depth of hardening?  I'm a little skeptical of turning down an axle that is surface hardened like the 1541 versions.

I had Jeff machine my spindles longer on the inside as I was going to mount the caliper brackets inside.  That ended up making the assembly wider than I wanted so I re-machined the inner side of those spindles to make a light press fit in the axle seal seat and machined press in rings to fill the remainder of that seat.  I used a Seals-it spanning between in inside bore of the spindle and my press in filler.  I have another pair of Seals-it in the axle tubes just outside the carrier bearings (this is a "wide tread" FC 150 housing with 2 3/4 OD tubes).

I still have not ordered the shafts but they will be Dutchman 4130.
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2021 at 8:38pm
This is the seal housing I had made to fit in the bearing pocket of the D44. I brought in a bearing cup and had the outside of the housing made the same size so it can be driven in where the bearing cup would fit. This style seal can stretch over the larger spline end of the Dutchman axle yet seal the flange end. I dry tested it on the Dutchman axle. I do not have it operational yet but I think this is going to work great thanks to Brennan for the suggestion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>