Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On lock down...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 11:28am
Been working from home exclusively since mid March and although I need to finish the wiring on my 2A, I got the bright idea to gut our master bathroom and redo.  Now I have a very interested wife in when it will be completed.  Given that we have another month of lock down, I should be able to focus on both projects.  Be well folks.
Bill
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 1:30pm
So far the business I work for has been deemed essential. But with the slowdown in the economy our sales have slowed tremendously over the last 3 weeks or so. The other issue is getting parts to build stuff. There are parts that we are running out of to build products. We don't know yet when we will see our next shipment. Due to lack of parts to build new product we've had to lay off about 20 people in that time.

I have enjoyed all the extra time spent at home trying to "social distance". It has given me the opportunity to get some projects done that have been on my "to do" list for quite some time.

This weekend I finally got some shelves built in my old chicken house building so I can get stuff up off the floor. I also got the building wired and lights hung. I've never had electricity in that building. It sure is nice to walk in and just flip a switch for light and not have to use a flashlight!

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 1:35pm
Nice Mutt you have there!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:09pm
Wow that building is awesome!!!
Very well litClap
I was trying to calculate how many Jeeps would fit in there!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Wow that building is awesome!!!
Very well litClap
I was trying to calculate how many Jeeps would fit in there!

The lower section where the Jeeps are is 20' wide by 45' long. So I figure if I cleaned up all my junk I could park them in there 3 wide and 3-4 deep. Unfortunately the ceiling isn't tall enough to stack them.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:47pm

Would you let THIS guy into your house?!  We're starting our second week of state mandated shut down.  I'm still running service calls (wearing my PPE), but my calls have dropped way back.  On one hand I am happy to be classified as essential - self employed = no service calls = no income, on the other hand I am happy to have a little extra time to work on Jeep stuff!  Counting blessings!  Seriously hoping the Willys Spring Reunion still happens!
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:07pm
I second the Willy's reunion! The one thing I had planned to do for certain this year.  AKoller -  that chicken coop does look like it needs to be filled up. Looks like a great place to keep Jeeps. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 5:35pm
I work weapon systems safety for the navy, so am considered essential.  But working from home, I'm ok with it.  My commute is a lot shorter and that means more garage time available Wink 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 6:20pm
  Being retired, my work is still the same, in the same place. I’ve been working from home for some time now. It’s still not the same as it was though, I hesitate to run to town for parts or supplies. I bought a part from a member here, and was hesitant to go to the post office and get a money order (I was going to send him cash but the grocery store wouldn’t let me have any.), and now he’s a little leery of going to the post office to cash the MO and ship the part. I can’t fault him for that. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I'm staying home and watching the snow pack slowly melt. Then------cleaning up my gravel driveway out of the grass that the snow removal deposited,  before the grass grows. As a bonus, I'm eradicating the epidemic of Voles that has returned for a second season. Those buggers went everywhere under the snow and ate everything they could find. Even the grass roots. They chomped half of the main stem of my brand new red Oak sapling! Angry It's war now!!!!!!!!
I would be interested in your strategy for dealing with the voles, my yard is riddled with hundreds of their holes. 

Otto, the best way is to look for fresh dirt pushed up to the surface from over night. Find his hole that goes down into the ground or burrow and sprinkle some rodent poison pellets down the hole. Birds etc. won't eat/find the pellets and the Voles die under ground. I've tried traps and a Vole is one tough bugger to fool. They will literally push the trap out of their runway and ignore it. They are experts at removing the traps bait. You have to tie it on the trigger to have any luck at all. I had 13 traps around a known burrow and the only way I got him was he jumped backwards into another trap. He would dig under traps and keep on going. They can dig through very tough soil. Muscular bodies. I've had them go into a Lilock bush and pull the trap off their appendage and be gone. You know you got him when no more dirt and tunnels or tracks are being made. They reproduce at a rapid rate. Then eat everything. 

As for cats------there are two. They didn't put a dent in the Vole problem. Voles work under the snow and use vegetative cover to their benefit. Common name for a Vole is Meadow Mouse. You think they are Moles, but aren't. They have a rounded mug of a face muscular body about 3-4 times of a field mouse or house/barn mouse and a short 1.5 inch tail. Confident buggers. They will stare you in the face if they feel safe. Yes, I thought about a 12 gauge. Not in a neighborhood Wink good luck. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 8:48pm
Voles sound like a different issue.   Our problem was definitely moles.  The critters with tiny eyes and big front feet (only the males, I believe).
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 10:03pm
Illinois, has been on lock down for 2 weeks. We are open. We fall into the essential group for media since we support newspaper and magazines. Kinda surprised that is considered essential but whatever, we have to service them. We are down to 8 employees and we just park in the back and carry our letter with us in case we get stopped. I along with a few other Q8s are falling into deep depression as we were a supposed to be in Utah, this week and next :’( ..... We have started a support group and I even sent out a few “stimulus packages”. .... I guess that is very small potatoes compared to what others are going through. ....anywho, I drove BAM BAM to work today. He has been in the garage for about two weeks straight

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 10:06pm
I do envy all your free time off work. Since I'm in walking distance of the office with a continuous list of work to do, I'm still here chugging away. But it keeps me entertained since I get stir crazy.

It turns out I've always lived my free time in quarantine, with no real changes to daily life - after work just spending way too much time at the shop keeping up with all these old vehicles. This scenario has really made me reflect. I'm at my maximum limit with 5 Willys Jeeps. Ideal plans are to finish my RX7 by June and start the LS swap on the 'Sub right after. My goal is to have it done for CFFC. 

2021 goal: No projects! I said that last year, but I'm serious this time.

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I drove BAM BAM to work today. He has been in the garage for about two weeks straight

Muddy, just as the lord intended!

Edited by Nick_ - 30 Mar. 2020 at 10:08pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 2:26am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

The critters with tiny eyes and big front feet (only the males, I believe).

I don’t know, that sounds kinda like a girlfriend I once had. WinkLOL
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 1:20pm
Even though I work for a utility company, I was declared non-essential, so I have been working from home for two weeks now.  I'm actually enjoying not having the one hour commute each way, I just look at how much I'm saving on gas.Smile The extra time to work on my '46 CJ2A is great.  Now if I can just keep my little girls from killing each other.Ouch
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 10:33pm

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I'm staying home and watching the snow pack slowly melt. Then------cleaning up my gravel driveway out of the grass that the snow removal deposited,  before the grass grows. As a bonus, I'm eradicating the epidemic of Voles that has returned for a second season. Those buggers went everywhere under the snow and ate everything they could find. Even the grass roots. They chomped half of the main stem of my brand new red Oak sapling! Angry It's war now!!!!!!!!
I would be interested in your strategy for dealing with the voles, my yard is riddled with hundreds of their holes. 

As for cats------there are two. They didn't put a dent in the Vole problem. Voles work under the snow and use vegetative cover to their benefit. Common name for a Vole is Meadow Mouse. You think they are Moles, but aren't. They have a rounded mug of a face muscular body about 3-4 times of a field mouse or house/barn mouse and a short 1.5 inch tail. Confident buggers. They will stare you in the face if they feel safe. Yes, I thought about a 12 gauge. Not in a neighborhood Wink good luck. John
I can deal with moles successfully, but the voles are way more prevalent. During the summer I pour dry sand down the holes and set traps on the ones they clear. Last summer I put a cubic yard of sand down those holes!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2020 at 1:40am
DMusil, I'm just south of Stevens Point. I tried to do some salmon fishing around Manitowoc a few times. Nice area.
kswillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kswillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2020 at 7:07pm

You need to come exploring with us when you get the jeep back together. We both live in Chanute. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>