Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On lock down...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 10:43pm
Wow. That is so cool Bill! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 4:44am
Very Cool Bill!

I was in to "N" Gauge in my youth.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 5:01am
Wow . .  what detail,   very nice!    We has a HO layout as kids,  on 4x8 . .  Dad made the table,  and said we could layout,  and decorate however we wanted.   It was not anything like that!   I remember being so proud that I found some dried out weed tops,  that looked like trees.  haha   (obviously we were on a budget.)

Your choice of vehicles look good. Wink

qouting, so that we do not have to page back to look at cool photos.  LOL

Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 6:09am
Those have a certain "apocalyptic"appearance...... oh, yea ....... no people! Kinda looks like the streets of many towns today Shocked!
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

Those have a certain "apocalyptic"appearance...... oh, yea ....... no people! Kinda looks like the streets of many towns today Shocked!

Kind of like my hometown. 3 or 4 blocks on the main drag and I saw may a half a dozen cars and maybe that many people. Normally you would see most parking places full of cars and lots of people out on the sidewalks (or jaywalking. )

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 3:48pm
Interesting Thread over on the Old Willys Forum - Puts another perspective on Theme Music in classics:

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 3:56pm

Thanks. I have to say, I'm a bigger kid than my kids with this. My inner nerd is coming out big time. There is so much more to do with these than when we were kids (and spend waaaayy more money). We made everything digital. All the switch tracks have stationary decoders so you control them through the throttle and not DC switches mounted on the board somewhere. If the switch tracks aren't throwing far enough, you go into the decoder and program it to have more power. You can also program macros so if there is a particular path you want to go, all the tracks affected are switched into alignment by pushing one button on the throttle. We put decoders in the passenger cars so you can turn the interior lights on and off when you want. The turntable is digital as will be the roundhouse doors. Through the throttle, you tell it which door to open. When it opens the door completely, it sends power to the tracks in and outside of the stall. That is to prevent my youngest son 'crash' from ramming the doors before they are fully open. The spout on the water tower actually comes down and it sounds like its filling the tender’s tank.

There is no more blocking to separate tracks. DCC allows you to run as many locos as you want on the same tracks independently of one another. No more cigarette smoke from the smokestack either. You get a nice stream that chuffs in time with the speed. For increased loads i.e. going up the hill or a lot of cars behind, the amount of smoke actually increases like you have to give it more power.

All the animation will be controlled by DC switches on the board. The buildings light up and actually go on and off randomly for different rooms. The fire engine's flasher lights up and the headlights go on. We will be doing the same for the accident scene Willys vehicles.

The crossing gates will be triggered by infrared sensors that run motors to pull the gates down and turn the flashers on. When the train passes a certain point, other sensors tell it to raise the gates and turn off the flashers. My nerdiness is really looking forward to putting them in.

Here is the entire layout. Its two 4x8 tables. The rural side is where the mountains and tunnels will go. I wanted to extend it two more tables, but management vetoed that idea. Obviously, a long way to go. My grandkids will probably be on their way to college when I finish this thing.

Edited by Bill Norris - 06 Apr. 2020 at 3:59pm
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 4:13pm

Since I know you guys like to struggle with old technologies - how about really old-style bread.

I have been baking sourdough bread every week for years.  This bread is super low sugar and low salt.

For the Pandemic I have changed things up.  I no longer do a second rise or waist the flower to powder the outside of the bread loafs for transfer.  This take about 2 hours out of my standard artisan bread loaf.

If you like sourdough bread and want truly old ancient bread - Don't follow the modern instructions, they give you - never uses modern fast rise yeast.  Those big air bubble in the bread are from the modern fast rise yeast, they add it in because they have weak starters, or they can't wait for the dough to rise for 12 hours.  Years ago, I read that the slow rise natural yeast (sourdough) changes the protein in the flower and changes the sugar in the final bread.   When I had a continuous glucose meter it would read about 106 after eating two slices of this bread which might help people who are concerned with their A1C (your mileage may vary based on your condition).

Here is the process - it might take a time or two to get the hang of it but this is how it was done for ages before the modern time:  Think of this as starting with all the wet ingredients and mixing in the dry to get the final dough consistency: 

Here is the real deal for old artisan bread - Pre 1870.
1. Put 1.5 cups of starter in a large bowl.
2. Mix in 3/4 cup of room temp water (let it stand for 4+ hours if it is unfiltered tap water)
3. Mix in 1 teaspoon of salt (or less if you want a really low salt bread - use 3/4 tsp)
4. Mix in 1/2 cup of wheat bran (putting back what they take out of it in modern wheat processing)
5. Mix in 1/1/2 cup of white bread flour (I work this in with a spatula a 1/2 cup at at time).
6. Knead by hand the dough and add flower to the wet areas as you knead and fold the dough.
7. Keep adding small amount of flour to the dough until the dough nolong feels wet and is not sticky.
8. Place the doug is large clean bowl and cover it with a dinner plate as a lid.  
9. Let it rise slowly for 10 hours in a warm place - until it is about 2.5 time larger.
Pre heat a glass or ceramic pot and lid to 450 Degrees for 20 minutes.
Scrape the risen dough into the hot pot - using a spatula to remove it from the bowl directly into the hot pot.  Try not to damage the rise you have in the dough during this process.
Place the lid on the pot and cook it for 37 to 40 minutes.  Then remove the lid and let cook for another 5 minutes with the lid off.

Let cool on a rack for 1 hour.

Here is some no egg French toast that the girls made up.  They used Flaxseed instead of eggs (note the small bubble grain of the bread).

Sorry about the typos in the text - never my strong suit.

Edited by Stev - 06 Apr. 2020 at 4:16pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

Thanks. I have to say...

Wow Bill, That's bigger than I was imagining! Whats with all the snow on the ground and none on the roofs?  LOL!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 6:57pm
Art,

My layout as a kid was 4x8 and I thought that was pretty restrictive. Just go around in circles. I wanted more variety.

The 'snow' is dust from making the roads and sidewalks. Its like a plaster you pour, smooth out and then sand. Very messy and I'm not sure I would do that again.

Bill

tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2020 at 1:38am
I've been making bread for about a year now.  Yours looks great!
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2020 at 2:05pm
Nice layout, Bill. Looks like fun.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 7:08pm
I have an HO layout that unfortunately doesn't get much use these days.....

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 7:53pm
I am SO JEALOUS of the room you guys have dedicated to  trains!
If I had that much floor space I would have another Jeep...
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 8:35pm
Good bread, ribs and tiny jeeps & trains!

No wonder this is a great forum!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 1:53am
Bob W,

Holy smokes is that nice. I’ll never get approval for something that big.  I wish I had that kind of talent. Are you DCC?

Your son will be all over that in a couple years if not sooner. 

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 3:02am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I am SO JEALOUS of the room you guys have dedicated to  trains!
If I had that much floor space I would have another Jeep...

X2 Thumbs Up

I would have another jeep...project!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 3:51am
Great train setup.  And others that posted before.  Definitely some dedication
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>