Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Spark - 6 Volt 1948

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Spark - 6 Volt 1948
    Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:08am
I am working through a no spark issue on a 6 volt 1948.

The Jeep Cranks but will not fire on starting fluid with the choke closed.

There is what I have checked and what I have replaced.

• The battery is showing 6.3 volts
  • The wire going into the + side of the Coil with the switch "On" is showing 6.1 volts
  • I replace the block mounted Coil today with a new Coil that has an internal resistor (like the one I have been running for the last 12 years).
  • I replace the condenser today with a NOS WWII Ford Condenser for a 6 Volt Jeep.
  • The points are gapped at .018"
  • The wire from the coil the distributor is tight.
  • The distributor is an NOS unit with less than 40 miles on it.
  • The rotor turns when you bump the starter - counter clockwise so the cam is turning the oil pump (but it does not show any oil pressure on the gauge with the slow turning 6 volt starter).
  • The Spark plugs are not fouled.
  • I replaced the plug wires last fall before putting the Jeep up on Jack stands in it dedicated garage for the winter.
So any ideas on what to try next?

Here is what I plan to check next:

- I will Ohm out  the primary coil wire.  Perhaps the wire is bad or the ends are not connected properly.  
- I will check for continuity  between the negative side of the coil and the distributor with the points closed

Suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Stev - 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:12am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:51am
  You do not want an internal-resistor coil, or an external resistor, in a 6-volt system. The purpose of the resistor is to reduce 12V to 6V. 
  Are your new plug wires of the solid-core, copper or steel type, or are they carbon-core resistor wires? 6 volt systems do not like resistor wires. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:55am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:53am
Check for voltage at the distributor, and verify the point mounting plate is grounded.
BOULDER 48 2A
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:10pm
I second Bruce and Terry. Solid core wires and no resistor in the coil and check voltage at the coil. You can also disconnect the wire at the coil that goes to the points and then use a meter set on ohms while you turn the engine by hand (with ignition off) to make sure the points are opening and closing.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:11pm
And let us know what works. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:15pm
You can also check for spark by pulling a spark plug, connecting the plug wire to it, grounding the plug (to the head if you can get a good connection), and cranking the motor. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 3:23pm
Thanks for the ideas.  

I hope to get back on this in the next few days.  I will let you know what I find.  May also switch out the coil for a NOS key coil I have on the shelf - that would address the resistor issue - if there is one on the new 6 volt coil (not sure about weather the new coil, I put on yesterday, has a internal resistor or not).

Thanks again.
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 12:59am
Still not fixed but here is some additional information:
  • The plug and coil to distributor wires ares sold what looks to be steel.
  • The coil to distributor wire Ohms out at .2 - so almost no resistance
  • Disconnected the wire on the distributor side of the coil and checked for continuity when the points were closed.  When the points are closed there is continuity from the wire going it to the points all the way to the negative terminal on the battery.  Also ran the same test with the points open and did not have continuity to the negative terminal on the battery. 
  • Removed the center coil wire from the distributor.  Had an assistant crank the Jeep with the switch "On" while I held the copper end of the center distributor wire about 1/8" away from the sending unit pipe plug for temperature gauge (which I confirmed had a good continuity through to the negative terminal on the battery).  NO SPARK still.
Did not have a chance to remove the coil and see if it has a resistor.  Also did not install the Key Coil.  Ran out of time.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by Stev - 06 Apr. 2020 at 1:01am
Stev
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 1:09am
When cranking, ignition on, do you have power from coil to the distributor?  And what is voltage at distributor at that time?  And this is with floor starter button?

Edited by Michaeltru - 06 Apr. 2020 at 1:11am
Mike in AZ
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 2:04am
Yes - the Jeep has a floor starter button.
I will check the voltage at the distributor and let you know.

Did a bunch of reading in the 1946 Audels Automotive, 1948 Motors manual, the Jeep maintenance manual and other old books on ignitions and coils.  

Also had a chance to check the capacitor MF.  Wow, I check about 8 capacitors some modern, some used and a bunch of NOS.  Readings all over the place from .18 to .28 mf also check the leak down on all of them.

Then I checked the primary and secondary on the 6 volt coils.  The NOS key coil was 2.4 OHMs on the primary and the secondary read around 7000.  The newer style block mounted coil read 1.2 x 4000

I have an old WWII consolidated Jeep repair manual that  has a series of test that I hope to run tomorrow.

Stev
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 3:29am
I like all the new digital equipment you’re using. Very nice
Mike in AZ
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 1:56am
Yes old test equipment - Capacitor checker is a 1962 Heatkit tube analyzer with a cat eye opening and closing tube.  Pretty cool device.  The other unit is a 1970s Sears automotive analyzer.

So here is the update on the no spark issue:

- Replaced the 6 volt battery with New Optima 6 volt with 1,000 cranking amps.  (thought I was on borrowed time with my old 2009 Optima 6 Volt.  It does spin the motor a little faster (also had the store confirm the new battery was fully charged).
- Replaced the coil with a NOS Key Coil I tested last night.  
-- Confirmed that I have 6.3 volts at the distributor when the key is turned to "On".
- Replaced the Points and condenser (27mf on this NOS condenser - checked it last night)- both are tightly screwed to the base plate inside the coil.
- Set the points to about .024 (which might be out of spec)
- Replaced the coil wire (OHM checked to make sure is good - it is longer for a Key Coil and made with a steel core).
- Tightened the wire terminal on the distributor and confirmed it was not grounding to the distributor case. Confirmed there is no Ohm drop or voltage drop across this connection.
-- Confirmed that when the points are open the rocker arm of the points is not grounded.
-- Confirmed that when the points are closed the point are grounded.
-- Confirmed that there is no spark from the coil when cranking the engine.
-- Confirmed that with the ignition switch "ON" and the points closed (and the coil wire end 3/16 away from a grounded surface, that when you manually open the points there is no spark from the coil wire end to the ground surface.
-- Confirmed that here is continuity between the center of the distributor cap coil wire terminal and the graphite center post on the inside of the distributor cap.

Still no spark.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Stev - 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:01am
Stev
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:15am

Sounds like you have all the bases covered.   What about the rotor button, could there be a problem there?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:27am
-- Confirmed that I have 6.3 volts at the distributor when the key is turned to "On".

Is that with the points open or closed? Open, that would be correct. With the points closed, you should read no voltage because the voltage should be drawn off to ground thru the points. 

Disconnect your primary wire (the one from the coil to the dist that has 6.3V in it) and check for spark again by grounding and un-grounding that wire. 

BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 12:47pm
I have that same cat's eye capacitor checker. A cool piece of equipment.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:58pm
confirm spark or no spark as Bruce suggested, but check from the coil secondary lead, not from the distributor. That will separate coil from a distributor issue. The rotor is suspect.
BOULDER 48 2A
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 3:15pm
Also confirm that the rotor is turning when cranking the engine, I have had that happen once.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2020 at 12:51am
Update:

We have a running Jeep!

So in the end it was a real tail chaser! I added to any new parts, cleaned all the connections - it is hard tell for sure which was the exact issue.

But the final bit of trouble shooting was to take the primary's wire to the distributor and ground it against the block.  That did produce a spark.  Then repeat that with the secondary from the coil 3/16" away from the block at the sametime - No spark on the secondary from the NOS key coilCry.  Tried the same test with a block mounted coil (rewired everything and pulled the key coil and added in a key switch) and got a spark out of the secondary.  Reassembled everything.  Fired right up after 2 years of sitting.

Next problem was that the clutch was stuck to the flywheel.  Turned off the Jeep put it in reverse with the clutch pedal pressed in and cranked the motor.  It came free!  So, I took the Jeep for a spin around the block.  The Jeep pulled to the left at the first stop sign.  But after a few stops it went away completely.   Jeep stops straight.  Parking brake works (will hold the Jeep on the driveway hill).  Not leaking fuel.  So all seems good. The Jeep runs quiet like a sewing machine as it did years ago.

As for the NOS Key Coil - Hoping it just has some corrosion where the secondary exits the coil that just need to be cleaned up.  Will clean it up and do some testing 

Thanks for all the help!

Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>