Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapered edge leaf springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 10:29am
I went looking..
FWIW

They have a tapering machine. Family run business.

Edit: Machine tapers ends not sides, although without much fuss I'm sure tooling could be made to taper the sides as the ends are tapered hot.

Edited by littlesteve - 12 Apr. 2020 at 6:05pm
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
Csagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Csagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 12:07pm
As interesting as the metallurgy physics discussion is, yeah maintaining the look of the Mather springs was my main interest.  Good discussion,  and we've found a few possible solutions. 
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:09pm
There is always an interesting history to everything:

https://www.motorera.com/history/hist08.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_suspension

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring

Can't find it now but in the early days, the springs were also the dampening thus very harsh.   As shocks became more prominent in 30s, they wanted the springs to move more and thus we saw the channeled springs on the early jeeps. less surface, so less dampening and the shock absorber took care of the movement for a smoother ride.   The tapered ends were to stop the wear we have seen from the blunt end springs and also allow more movement of the springs.

Coil springs were becoming more popular in the late 30's but military stuck with the leaf spring as more rugged?

The major point I found was that it was EXPENSIVE to manufacture channeled and tapered springs, plus the change in technology to coiled means we can't find the original springs.

I have put the teflon spring liners on new springs for my wagon but have not road tested it yet. Research indicates that there is a lot of initial friction on the spring that has to be overcome so thus there is a smoother ride.   so far in the garage looks good.   I tried the grease on the original worn springs, good soft ride but wallowed on the road.

by the way, I think i have a set of those original channeled springs if anyone is interested in them.

Edited by willys54wagon - 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:54pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:49pm
Channeled Jeep spring = Eaton spring
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Csagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Csagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:51pm
Are you guys saying there were channeled springs on the 2a's?  I've only seen them on M38A1's.  
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 6:00pm
The Eaton springs were never factory installed on any CJ2A nor 3A. 
1953 3B’s were available with Mather or Eaton.
I for one don’t like the OEM Eaton’s.
I have never seen an old set of them without cracked leaves. 
I believe the steel was overly tempered.
They also are rarely seen without severe rust accumulated between leaves.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Csagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Csagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 6:09pm
Yes, the Eaton's I've seen on M38A1 's were cracked up terribly,  sometimes into 3-4" pieces. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12