Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaf Spring Installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarhurts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaf Spring Installation
    Posted: 05 June 2007 at 9:16pm
I am going to install new leaf springs and I was wondering what is the best way to install the pivot bolt.  I think if I use a hammer to instill the bolt, it might damage the bolt or the part of the frame that the bolt inserts into.

While I have your attention, if there is anything else that you think I should know for the intallation, I would appreciate the advice.  Thanks in advance.

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 10:00pm
I'm assuming you're installing the standard attachment method (c shackles at the ends and pivots on the other), I didn't find the need to hammer the pivot bolts in, they went in easily, If I recall correctly I used a socket and pushed and turned the pivot bolt and it slid in. the other end is a little more involved, If you're re-using the old springs make sure you put the proper thread twist in the proper hole, there's left and right hand threads, you have to push the shackle through the bracket and the spring, start the outer threaded section on both and then alternately tighten them both down, making sure you don't completely tighten them otherwise the springs will bind. I'd suggest getting a maintenance manual, you can buy reprints for less than $20 on ebay, it's a good investment and goes into these procedures in detal, hope this helps.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply