Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubicon 2021 - July 25 - 27 - Event Date: 25 July 2021 - 31 July 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Rubicon 2021 - July 25 - 27
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 8:11pm
Are there any plans for a 2021 Rubicon trip? 

The last one was in 2018. Those who went should have enough time to heal their backs and Jeeps. Those of us who haven't will have enough time to build something by then.

Words of advise from previous trips:
1. A very reliable vehicle that will get damaged
2. Tera-Low <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">gears</span> for a better crawl ratio
3. Lock-rites for extra traction
4. Skid plates for everything including axle u-bolts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 8:26pm
yes, Wade and I are ready to go back.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 8:51pm
I would love to do it again with the Quazzy8’s. 
Jay
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 9:11pm
If you guys will get rid of this virus, I'll be there this weekend. Not sure what my situation will be in 2021 but if I can, I will.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 9:21pm
Unfortunately summer of 2020 has been compromised for many. No specific dates are planned. We can find something that works for everyone. I've never been out there, so I'm not sure which months are best for weather and traffic.

Attendees
1. Nick_
2. jpet
3. Wade
4. chasendeer

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 9:23pm
It works best if we do it between the two Jamborees. Last Week of July, First week of August.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JT707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 10:15pm
I went with Chasendeer last time as a passanger/spotter, I'd like to go this time with my own Jeep. 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 11:57pm
I’m speculating but the likely dates would be July 25-27, 2021.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 11:58pm
Hopefully by Rubicon 2021 I'll  have my hot mess of a project jeep done.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 12:16am
I’m in for 2021.  I would like to run it backwards after we complete it initially.  I’d much rather spend another day on the Rubicon in Gus enjoying the trail and the scenery instead of driving the 80 miles of pavement back to the trailhead at 45 mph.  Besides, we’ve will all have driven thousands of miles to just get there, so we might as well do it both ways.  Plus, you could say you’ve driven the Rubicon twice!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 6:44am
Originally posted by sonoblast77 sonoblast77 wrote:

Hopefully by Rubicon 2021 I'll  have my hot mess of a project jeep done.

Wade
What the of a hot mess do you have going on?
Jay
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 10:18am
Im down. 
I drove the Rubicon in 2015 in a Toyota pick up on 33's and open diffs. I have since sold said pickup.
Admittedly I did not take on Soup Bowl or Little Sluice on the advice of friends that I was with.
We went in September, the water was low, temps in the day were very pleasant. Touched almost freezing at night though.

The burning question is though, why not do Fordyce trail at the same time? Heck, why not throw in the Dusy Ershim? 
That's a weeks wheeling within a relatively small radius.

I can confirm that gearing is the key, I wheeled feet off pedals for most of it with a 4.7 transfer case and 4.10 diffs. There was a few off camber places I wished I'd had lockers but a tug in one spot and drunk on lookers in the other soon had me on my way.

I need to go back. i was so busy stressing about flights, worrying if I would be a hindrance to people, stressing about whether the truck would hold up and fretting about whether I was a good enough driver to actually drive the thing (UK wheeling is very different) that I forgot to STOP and look at the sheer beauty that i was surrounded by.

Edited by littlesteve - 15 Apr. 2020 at 12:51pm
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 12:06pm
Jay,  it's a 3a ish tub, with a dauntless, t18, dana18. Still deciding on tires and rims.  
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 1:20pm
I am in for a 2021 trip! The Rubicon is on my must do list. 
1948 Luzon red CJ2A No name yet
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 1:44pm
Yeah, Wade is afraid someone on the Rubicon trail is going to beat all of us up and take his cowbell

Wade and I plan to do the trail the week between the Jamborees which I believe is July 25th 2021. This is a good week to do it because the Jamboree guys will have any snow moved, any down trees out of the way, any erosion spots fixed, and Chicken (parts guy) will be at Rubicon Springs in case we need something. I'm not tying to take this thread over but some of us have been discussing this behind the scenes. If those dates will work, Nick can add them to the title, if not, I'll sit back and participate in this thread as an observer.

The last two times we did this, we met at Loon Lake Sunday afternoon, and wheeled past the granite to camp at Ellis Creek. Monday the goal is to make it to Rubicon Springs and spend the night. Then finish up Tuesday. I think last year, we made it back to Tahoe noonish? Had Pizza, and drove back around to our trailers at Loon Lake. Then, a group of us went to Moab. We were there by Tuesday night.

If we were to run the trail backwards back to Loon, I think it would be best to turn around at the Observation Deck. The last time we ran the trail, I think we made it there Tuesday morning. If we turned around and went back, and we didn't have any break downs, and didn't stop to video everything, I think we might be able to make it back to Ellis Creek Tuesday night. Then Loon Lake early Wednesday morning. The toughest spot might be going up the Big Sluice in that end section.

I do want to do Fordyce Creek while I am out there along with anything else that keeps me wheeling all week. The last time, some did the trifecta, (Rubicon,Moab,Ouray), and it was one of my most memorable vacations. The time before that, we did Holy Cross.

I think the goal should be to just run the trail to the Observation Deck. After this point, some can go on into Tahoe, and some can take the trail back to Loon. Usually by the observation deck, I've seen everything I need to but I'd be up for going backwards if a group wanted to. I'd rather get back to the trailers as soon as possible and get going to my next destination. Like I said, we don't all have to do the same thing and I'm, flexible but I definitely want to do Fordyce.

I'm glad this thread started. Covid-19 sucks and this is fun to think about. Thanks!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 2:01pm
Wade, cool looking project. As to the cow bell, you could have a electronic one with hidden speaker. Push the button and sound the bell. It wouldn't get ripped off on granite that way. LOL You guys are gluttons for punishment, but I understand your affliction. We all have one of some kind or another, or several. 

I'm still waiting to go along and watch you do Kong in the Black Hills. Hard to walk in there, but I'm up for it. 

This virus may close the entire Forest this summer. Unbelieveable. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 2:48pm
When you go there, where do you typically stay? I've been to Lake Tahoe a few times and it's a nice town. I especially like that restaurant right on the water. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

When you go there, where do you typically stay? I've been to Lake Tahoe a few times and it's a nice town. I especially like that restaurant right on the water. 
Last time, we did not stay. We got off the trail, drove to Tahoe, ate some pizza, then drove back to Loon Lake.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>