Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubicon 2021 - July 25 - 27 - Event Date: 25 July 2021 - 31 July 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

....Do people really flip you off for going too slow?

Oh you'd be surprised how fast a nice, peaceful afternoon ride can get ruined by that...

Edited by rocnroll - 23 Feb. 2021 at 10:37pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 11:32pm
Heck, you can get flipped off for going the speed limit. And actually stopping at stop signs and signals rather than coasting through
Mike in AZ
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 12:30am
It all varies. I fondly remember at the Fall Color Tour a couple of years ago being at the Sugar Shack with about 50 other flat fenders when a young lady came out and yelled Oh My God.... over and over before getting into her new red jeep. She had gone in before we arrived and came out while more of us were pulling in. Later when we broke into two groups and hit the highway we got some passing vehicles taking videos and a very few being upset at the times we had to depart the "Willys" lane and block there passage. We can deal with it.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 12:58am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

We can deal with it.

Oh I'm sure.

(I just remember part of it being two lane.....maybe not) was just making a suggestion. Guess I shouldn't worry about that kind of thing.

Have fun.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

madbrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madbrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 2:17am

Perhaps I need to bring the .50 cal. Drivers never seem to get upset when I hold them up or cut them up. I'm usually like Moses parting the Red Sea when I drive through town.
45 MB
56 Willys Fruit Salad
64 Kaiser CJ3B

My Videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/madbritwillys56/videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 11:40am
WOW! Glad we will have some fire power

My memory seems to think it’s 22 miles from the trail exit back to Tahoe. Both times the Q8s did the trail, we stopped for pizza before making the Trek back to Loon Lake. It is 80ish miles back to Loon Lake as Rick said. Some of the way back is through residential type areas where the speed limit is 45 or less. The stretches where more speed is allowed are mostly, if not all, down hill. The area where you have to climb up hill and some were overheating is off the main highway and there was hardly any traffic.

Edited by jpet - 24 Feb. 2021 at 11:42am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 2:05pm
Nothing to worry about then......enjoy the ride.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 3:46pm
If someone doesn’t want to drive back around, or ends up with mechanical issues after we get off the trail, you can leave your Jeep in Tahoe with your partner. And hitch a ride with one of the group back to Loon to get your truck.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2021 at 1:47am
I have a place in Truckee. I was playing with the idea of leaving my trailer in Truckee and driving the long pavement trip at the start to Loon then Drive to Truckee from Tahoe. Maybe hit some trails from Truckee after Rubicon.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2021 at 2:53am
After party at Ernie’s!!!
wilgpr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilgpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 6:25am
Hello, we are planning on driving our motor home and trailer from Washington State.
 Do you all have suggestions for camping before and after running the Rubicon and parking spots while on the trail.
 While we are there it would be great to do some other trails before and after to see the countryside. Any trial suggestions and anyone interested doing either? 
Moab sounds great. It isn’t on the way so that will be another time for me. Thanks 
TJ
53CJ3-B,4.3AT
53CJ3-A barn find
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 11:44am
Hi David, you can camp at the Loon Lake trailhead. The only hard plan is the Rubicon trail. I’d like to spend some time in Moab and perhaps Ouray afterwards but those plans have to be flexible because we don’t know when we will get off the trail. We will just have to see. It is pretty hot in Moab that time of year. Last time we went, we did Hell’s Revenge. We got up early and by noon, it was 105 degrees.

There are also some other trails in a California that some may want to go on. We don’t all have to do the same thing after Rubicon.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by wilgpr wilgpr wrote:

Hello, we are planning on driving our motor home and trailer from Washington State.
 Do you all have suggestions for camping before and after running the Rubicon and parking spots while on the trail.
 While we are there it would be great to do some other trails before and after to see the countryside. Any trial suggestions and anyone interested doing either? 
Moab sounds great. It isn’t on the way so that will be another time for me. Thanks 

I'm pretty sure this is clear, but just to make sure. There is no "along the trail" for a motor home. You will be living out of your jeep for 3 days and two nights (at least). 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 5:13pm

This one might work along the trail!!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 6:19pm
I took the "parking spots while on the trail" to mean "where can I park my motorhome for the three days while I'm on the trail?"  I'm in the same situation (flat-towing behind a motorhome to get there).  I'm assuming I can park the motorhome at the Loon Lake trailhead while we're on the trail.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
madbrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madbrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2021 at 12:26am
Hi Rubicon experts - Could you share what type of gear to bring for camping, amount of food and water. What are the temperatures on the Rubicon late July? Do you bring extra gas for the 20 miles? Is there gas at the end of the trail?  Does Jeff bring enough whiskey and beer for everyone?  
45 MB
56 Willys Fruit Salad
64 Kaiser CJ3B

My Videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/madbritwillys56/videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2021 at 12:56am
Weather could be from freezing at night to 100 and rain. A five gallon spare can of gas should be enough. Its a BYOB event.
Jay
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2021 at 2:12am
A summer-rated sleeping bag should be sufficient.  One night, I just slept out in the open on my cot.  Other nights I’ve used a small tent.  Bring a flashlight.  Bring TP in case the port-a-johns aren’t available.  We usually go swimming in Buck Island Lake as well as the Springs, so bring your swim trunks and a towel!  I bring a couple of dinners that can be heated over the fire or stove (i.e. canned meals) at night as well as backpack meals and snacks.  Bring plenty of hydrating drinks like Gatorade or water.  I pack food & drink for at LEAST 3 days on the trail.  It will definitely take us 2 full days to complete the trail, probably more with the number of rigs on this trip.  A full tank and one 5 gallon gas can is enough for the 4 cylinder rigs, but I don’t know about the V6 or V8’s.  There are plenty of gas stations in Lake Tahoe and some around Tahoma.  A full tank and full gas can will get you back to the Loon Lake trailhead once we leave Tahoe.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>