Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubicon 2021 - July 25 - 27 - Event Date: 25 July 2021 - 31 July 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 12:13pm
When you are in Moab, you should take the road to Mineral Bottom on the Green River in Canyonlands N.P.. Its a nice road with a great view, there is also a runway down there that Stol planes sometimes use for practice. I think Mineral Bottom is also the start of white rim trail too.

Last September we put in there on a rafting trip through Cataract Canyon, had to replace a flat tire there on a car.
RECON-WILLYS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2021 at 4:08pm
I would like to add my name to the list. The War Department says yes ... as of right now... lol. 
Thanks, Ernie. 
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2021 at 11:55pm
I would love to join as a passenger, if a seat is available.   No Rubicon-ready flat fender for me to drive this year!  Hopefully soon though.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2021 at 1:53am
Vehicles
1. Nick_
2. jpet
3. chansendeer
4. JT707
5. sonoblast77
6. Rick G
7. littlesteve
8. hotrod59
9. Nothing Special
10. bobevans
11. EJOWest
12. unclemoak
13. Willytj
14. 3A Steve
15. madbrit
16. VermontOverland
17. EJOwest
18. Jeepfabrikken
19. RECON-WILLYS

Passengers
1. tamnalan 
wilgpr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilgpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2021 at 4:57am
I’m interested in joining your Rubicon trip. Is it possible to join you all and is it doable with my 1953, CJ3-A, L134, T90C, OD, Power Loks, Pto winch, 6:00-16 or 6:50-16 tires?
I am a retired mechanic in Yakima Washington and have a open schedule and would like to do other trails in the area while there. Thanks
TJ
53CJ3-B,4.3AT
53CJ3-A barn find
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2021 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by wilgpr wilgpr wrote:

I’m interested in joining your Rubicon trip. Is it possible to join you all and is it doable with my 1953, CJ3-A, L134, T90C, OD, Power Loks, Pto winch, 6:00-16 or 6:50-16 tires?
I am a retired mechanic in Yakima Washington and have a open schedule and would like to do other trails in the area while there. Thanks

Absolutely! Your Jeep sounds equipped to go. At least 6.50-16 but I personally would go to a 7.00-16. If you haven't already, install some u-bolt sliders for your axles.

Reminder For Everyone
We're now 5 months away. There's still time to undergo repairs on the Jeeps. I highly recommend going out in the garage and wiggle your driveshafts, axle input yokes, transfercase yokes, etc. to check for significant wear (especially side to side). You might be surprised. If you have a tapered rear axle, remove the hubs and check for cracks in the keyway. Make sure all axle nuts are tight. Carburetor tuned up, adjusted brakes, oil changes, and even double checking bolts are tight.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 4:56am
Too stock to join, but might drive up from Reno in the truck to see the collection of Jeeps. Just joining the thread.

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 2:24pm
Some observations I'd like to share for guys running 30" tires or less:

All of us who ran on 30" tire or less, received rocker damage, and or fender damage. It's not a big deal if you don't mine some dings, but if you do care, I'd recommend some rock sliders.

Make sure your spring u-bolts are cut off flush to the nuts. Sliders would be better yet. I'd also recommend some good spare u-bolts (there is a difference)

Some replacement shackles are a good idea.

Tow points front and rear. (something a soft shackle can quickly slip through without cutting it)

Edited by jpet - 20 Feb. 2021 at 2:25pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
wilgpr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilgpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 3:18pm
Thank you for the reply’s and experienced advice. 
Who all on the list that has a 134 cid. and 30” or smaller tires has been through the Rubicon before? 
Thanks much 

TJ
53CJ3-B,4.3AT
53CJ3-A barn find
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 5:57pm
Wow this is quite a large group.  Is there a plan to break it into smaller sub groups?  This is on my bucket list.

Would need to install the rear locker, make some over kill rock sliders with dual u bolts, change the tie rods over the heaver M38 type, make up some armor for the pedals tube, Sawzall the front bumper wings (and the rear one on the drivers side), move the hawse to the inside of the bumper, do something different with roll bar, rethink my side exhaust and maybe some different tires.  All well with in reach.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Wow this is quite a large group.  Is there a plan to break it into smaller sub groups?  ....
My guess is that the list will be totally different by the time the event comes around.

We have a week to get thru the trail. In the past, it has take. 2+ days but if it takes a week, I am committed to see everyone get off the trail. (Not that I’m in charge). My thought is that we can try to start together. If people start having time consuming issues, some of the group can go on, finish up and go to Moab, Ouray, or wherever. We will just have to see how big the group is come July. It may be tough finding places to park so many trailers at Loon Lake. We might need to research that.

If we are going to have this large of a group, I think we should adopt the mindset that after you make two or three attempts at something and are unsuccessful, you just take a strap and we move on rather than rock stacking over and over. If there are some that feel differently, we can decide if we want to split up the group a little bit.

Be advised that once we get finished with the trail, we have to drive highway all the way back to Loon Lake or else run the trail backwards. We don’t all have to do the same thing either.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 5:17pm
Q:  The drive back to Loon Lake on the highway.  Are the L134 guys with no Overdrive good for that return run or is it best to install the Overdrive?  Hoping it does not matter and 45mph is good.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 7:58pm

Q:  The drive back to Loon Lake on the highway.  Are the L134 guys with no Overdrive good for that return run or is it best to install the Overdrive?  Hoping it does not matter and 45mph is good.  

Only time overdrive might come into play is on downhill runs, and there are some of those. The overdrive is not going to make that much difference in top highway speed on the flat or uphill with the Go Devil.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 8:01pm
I had no issues with the high way run with a l134 and no OD. 
Jay
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 2:56am
I’m local and will not be joining the group. We live in El Dorado County.  Please consider me a resource -parts runner?  I’ve run my last Rubicon in about 1987.  I can also put you in you in touch with local skilled honest Jeep mechanic who has run the Rubicon many many times. 

And for heavens sake, don’t miss Uncle Toms Cabin!

Michael

PS. I’ve run a cow bell since finding one in the woods in about 1983. Smile

Edited by BAD ROD - 23 Feb. 2021 at 2:59am
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 3:41am
The highway trip back to Loon Lake is about 80 miles if memory serves.  It takes several hours.  A few of us did it with the L134, and I think We all had some overheating issues at one point or another (remember is will be late July).  There are several winding uphill runs that are taxing on the Go-Devil.  I have the OD, but it never really helps in 3rd gear highway driving, because of the hills, etc.  There were a couple of times when I reached 55 mph going downhill in OD, but mostly it was in the 45 mph range.  I wouldn’t decide to not do this trip if you don’t have the OD.

Speaking of parking at Loon Lake.  When I’ve arrived early to mid-afternoon on Sunday, the trailhead has usually cleared out from the Jamboree crowds.  The trailhead parking is free and there are campgrounds nearby for a fee.  

I’ll reiterate that you should prepare your Willys thoroughly.  Cover and protect the spring U-bolts and have skid plates for major underbody components.  The first year we did the Rubicon I broke off a chunk of my e-brake drum and didn’t know it until I got on the pavement.  The vibration was so bad that I could only drive 20 mph!  I was running 34” tires.

Bring all the tools, spare parts, and fluids that you can.  You may not need them, but someone else might.  The first year I thought I was really prepared and I brought everything...except
 the thing I needed.  I broke the tie-rod arm off my D25 knuckle.  A 4hr makeshift repair got us going again, but it was humbling.  Now I carry the MB tie-rod arms for backup in case that happens again.  The second year we went, there was a rig broke down with a split transfer case (it wasn’t a Willys tho,Wink )

All this shouldn’t discourage anyone from going, but just know, it WILL be a challenge.  Each year the trails get rougher and rougher because the rigs get bigger and bigger.  Remember also, that we will be following a recent group of a couple hundred jeepers, so who knows what shape the trail will be.

I’m so excited for this adventure!  Looking forward to meeting the new guys!  Now I just have to rebuild my transmission, maybe the transfer case, replace the front and rear axles, new brake line, maybe some rewiring, and steering upgrade, but nothing too major, really.  Plus, all the little odds and ends.  Sighhhh.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 4:09am

Hoping it does not matter and 45mph is good.  

Just something to think about.....I made that trip a time or two years ago at (at best) 55mph in places. Got my share of 'one finger salutes' even at what I thought was a good hiway speed.

As many folks as you have chiming in that's gonna be a pretty long 'parade'.

Just a consideration I would have, I dunno, just something to think about and decide the best way to handle it.

(yeah, I know, I got no dogs in the hunt....just something that crossed my mind while reading the thread)

Stay calm and carry on. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 5:06am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Just something to think about.....I made that trip a time or two years ago at (at best) 55mph in places. Got my share of 'one finger salutes' even at what I thought was a good hiway speed.

Do people really flip you off for going too slow? What a shame that people are so impatient and unkind. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>